Toyota Prius Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
took me a few times to complete this procedure for a 2006/black fob.

the lock/unlock was a little more tricky than the starting function. i had the 'double lock' thing mentioned - everytime! i don't know what made it work in the end, i actually hit a button on the known-good fob after the last time also gave me a double lock and this seemed to do the trick.

i did have a different experience though... when it started working (like doing anything at all to the locks) it wouldn't lock/unlock. just flash the hazards and it seemed to be doing _something_ with the lock. i could no longer lock/unlock with the old fob either!

it was a bit of panic i'd bricked something, but i left it for 10 minutes, went for a drive around the block with the old fob in and everything came good again.

best of all, both keys now work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure I have seen a direct answer to this question. If you have a prius with an SKS key (silver logo) and you want an extra key that is non-SKS can that be done using the procedure here? If so, will it interfere with the functions of the SKS key?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
curtwitt said:
I am not sure I have seen a direct answer to this question. If you have a prius with an SKS key (silver logo) and you want an extra key that is non-SKS can that be done using the procedure here? If so, will it interfere with the functions of the SKS key?

Thanks for any help.
It won't interfere with the SKS. However, you will need to plug the fob (dumb fob) into the slot to start the car. None of the buttons on the fob will work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings all. Sorry to necro this thread, but my google-fu led me here and I'm hoping to get just a little more info.

We bought our first Prius (used, 2011) last weekend. We love it, but it only came with one key and I'm worried sick our master will be lost.

I would like to get a second key for this vehicle without getting bent over by the dealership.

Is an Ebay key an option with the 2011? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? Can I use the instructions provided on page 2 or do I have to have an auto locksmith program it electronically?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Replacement Keys

Suggest you search this site for previous posts. However, if my recollection is correct, most/many aftermarket replacement keys had problems. (I have a 2002 Prius and have never replaced a key, so I am probably not the best person to ask.)

You may find more current information on this subject at www.priuschat.com.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Stay away from eBay and just bite the bullet and get a spare fob. It will cost a lot less to get the 2nd fob than it will if you lose your only fob and have to start from scratch. Did you buy the 2011 from a Toyota dealer? If so, the dealer owes you a second fob>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phoenix - I will check that forum. Thanks for the heads up.

Firepa63 - We did buy it from a Toyota dealer, but it was used. Is there a policy that requires them to provide a second fob or is that only for new cars? I called them and asked about it because the dealer said we'd get 2 keys when we were test driving it, but when I called back the day after the sale he suddenly didn't recall ever saying that.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Phoenix - I will check that forum. Thanks for the heads up.

Firepa63 - We did buy it from a Toyota dealer, but it was used. Is there a policy that requires them to provide a second fob or is that only for new cars? I called them and asked about it because the dealer said we'd get 2 keys when we were test driving it, but when I called back the day after the sale he suddenly didn't recall ever saying that.
The Toyota dealer should provide you with 2 fobs regardless of the car being new or used. The car originally came with 2 fobs, so the dealer should sell it with 2 fobs.

Was the car a "Certified Used Car"?

·
Registered
884 Posts
A new key probably costs the dealer only a few dollars and a little time. Too late now, but you should have insisted on two regular keys and the third "valet key" (total of three keys) before accepting delivery; or at least a commitment to provide them.

I would ask to talk to the sales manager and escalate the problem as necessary until you get the extra keys. All they can say is NO; in which case, at least you tried.

Unfortunately, you lost the biggest leverage you had; i.e., just walking away...

Good luck. If they are a reputable dealer, they'll give you the extra keys.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
A new key probably costs the dealer only a few dollars and a little time. Too late now, but you should have insisted on two regular keys and the third "valet key" (total of three keys) before accepting delivery; or at least a commitment to provide them.
There is no "valet key" for the Gen II Prius, only 2 SKS fobs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sks 2008??

I'd researched on Internet to be able to take an informed and best decision after I lost my car key.I still have one ,but the prices to replace the lost one from the dealer in Denver are confusing and outrageous.
Can somebody share an experience with a SKS 2008 bought from e bay or other website?? Can they really be programed and the dealership will do it?? or do you know anybody in Colorado who can do it?? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'd researched on Internet to be able to take an informed and best decision after I lost my car key.I still have one ,but the prices to replace the lost one from the dealer in Denver are confusing and outrageous.
Can somebody share an experience with a SKS 2008 bought from e bay or other website?? Can they really be programed and the dealership will do it?? or do you know anybody in Colorado who can do it?? Thank you!!
First, the car is programmed to accept the fob. The fob is not programmed.

If the fob you purchased has never been used, the dealer can program the car to accept it. However, if the fob has been used, the dealer must get a reseed code from Toyota (you'll have to pay for it) and erase all of the stored fobs in the car's computer. Then the dealer will have to program the car to accept your original fob as well as your eBay fob.

The other alternative is to use the eBay fob as a dumb fob. That means that you can use it to start the car by putting it in the slot. It won't work as an SKS fob and the remote buttons won't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jim, I understand your frustration with your vehicle keys. However, you seem to be willing to "cut off your nose to spite your face" by abandoning your Prius, because you have misplaced your keys a few times.

My wife and I travel with our 2008 Tundra and Airstream travel trailer, which affords many opportunities for getting locked out. After several close calls, we have one simple rule when camping:

• Our two sets of Tundra and Airstream keys are either in the ignition- or door-lock, or in our pockets -- at all times!

While having small children can be a distraction, most Toyota owners do NOT have problems with getting locked out. Surely, with a little discipline, you can overcome this problem and avoid the unnecessary expenses associated with key replacement.

Please, don't take this as a personal attack or criticism. It's just difficult to understand how you are willing to abandon a perfectly good vehicle when the simple solution is to put your keys in your pocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jim, I understand your frustration with your vehicle keys. However, you seem to be willing to "cut off your nose to spite your face" by abandoning your Prius, because you have misplaced your keys a few times.... It's just difficult to understand how you are willing to abandon a perfectly good vehicle when the simple solution is to put your keys in your pocket.
Yes, I hear you... guess it's more about feeling somewhat sore - it will pass.
& yes - some rules around remembering the Prius's limitations might be good

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is not fair .. from customer's point of view this is a so long process and so tedious.. dont know what is in the mind of dealer those are making such rules..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the remote programmed easily. The key is another story. I tried 6 times and had no luck getting it to program. I'm wondering if the problem is with the key. eBay listed the seller as "bbblocks", a top seller with a 99.6% positive rating, but the key was sent from Fast Auto Keys Inc, which is given a D+ rating by the BBB.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think there are two different key fobs for the 2004-2009 Prius. One is for a model with out the Keyless Entry system and the other is for use with Keyless entry. Make sure you have the proper key fob.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts