Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
A 70,000 mile Prius is just hitting its stride. My 2006 just passed 250,000 miles. Aside from tires and wiper blades, and normal scheduled maintenance, I've had to do exactly three repairs:

1. Rebuilt the brakes (pads and rotors) at about 150,000 miles
2. At 248,000 miles, the hybrid battery finally died. $3,500
3. At about 100,000 miles, the ABS controller failed. This was complicated to diagnose, and expensive to repair. Don't remember the cost, but I think it was a bit north of $1,000.

Everything else, even the 12V battery, is still original. This ignores the repair of significant collision damage, since that was my fault, not the car's. Even that tells you something about the Prius, though. I hit a big SUV. My front end was crumpled, the SUV was totaled.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
KenIvess99 - I strongly recommend replacing that original 12v battery very soon. It's living on borrowed time and will probably die at the most inopportune time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Recommended source for replacement 12v batteries

This is where I have ordered 12 volt batteries, twice for our 2002 Prius. Their prices are competitive and are usually much cheaper than the Toyota dealer, especially for a battery that will fit in a Prius:

http://www.elearnaid.com/opdsopbadifi.html#test

I have no connection to this company, other than being a satisfied customer.

The owner, Bernie Littman, can also supply Optima batteries for other vehicles besides Priuses.

Good luck!

Phoenix

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 Prius and I never did anything but routine maintenance. It has 209,000 miles and we use it as a second car now. We just got a 2013 a few months ago. LOVE IT!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The best car on the road for repair cost, especially if you do it yourself.

Our 2006 Prius has just passed 70,000 miles, and to help make a decision about its future, we'd like to know the experience people have had with the Prius over 100,000 miles. Does the battery system have to get replaced? Is that a super expensive cost of maintenance?

I have a 2005 Prius, and it has just had its first set of front brakes, after 151,000 miles. Also the second set of tires after 94,000 miles. The first 12 volt battery after 110,000 miles. The Muffler assembly was replaced at 150,000 miles. I did everything myself, very easy, and saved a ton of money. This car is rock solid, and the least expensive car I have owned to keep up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen several of these cars at well over 225,000 miles with the same battery. I think you have many years left before you have to replace it. When you there are several choices on what to do then. Don't worry it won't break the bank. There was just a used one selling on Craigslist.org, for $500.00 about $800.00 for replacement labor, though not at the dealer. Bristol, CT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i have the best success, by regularly establishing traps in the engine section, in all but the summer and periodic pepper mint essential oil programs, in the cottage narrow. The multiple battery power is guaranteed, in my state.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Well i have the best success, by regularly establishing traps in the engine section, in all but the summer and periodic pepper mint essential oil programs, in the cottage narrow. The multiple battery power is guaranteed, in my state.
Huh? :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
100k maintnanence Prius 2006 Ca.

100k maintanence is oil change,tire rotation, brake adjustment,inverter coolant exchange. I asked about regular tramsmission exchange. The tech. said he would also do this too, It's not even listed in the service manuel. I did the transmission exchange along with the inverter flush and exchange of fluid. Inverter exchange & flush was $109.95 & reg. transmission exchange $99. My toyota has had all regular maintanence oil change & filter, engine & cabin filters, 5000 mile brake adjustemnts. All recall work has also been done. The only part I had to replace is the 12v battery $369 installed after 6yrs & 65,000 miles. 1 tire sensor went out have not replaced. I am still on the original set of brakes. The dealer said it's not uncommon to get 100k to 150k on a set of brakes. Disc pads in front are 4mm when new mine are 3mm at 100k. Rear drum pads are 11mm when new mine are at 7mm at 100k.My wife said the car drove better after the transmission & inverter fluid exchange. Having the brakes cleaned and adjusted every 5,000 miles is worth the $20 they charge to do this. Considering brake jobs are $500+ x 2 it saves a lot of money. This toyota prius is the best car I ever owned. Considering I've saved over $10,500 in gas in 9 years maintanence cost are very low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cousin has a Prius for a long time, over 10 years. Like you, she kept up with the maintenance and regular oil changes over the years. The car is still running perfectly. It will be passed to her little sister as her first car. Keep it in the family. Great car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 Prius

192,000 miles

repaired sensor in steering column @ 156,000

replaced front brakes (pads only) @ 143,000
replaced rear brakes ( pads only) @ 185,000

still get 50 to 52 mpg in the above 50 degree weather

switched to p185 65 14 goodyear comfort tread with little or no loss in mpg much better traction and wear

I now have over 315,000 miles on Prius's , 98,000 on '04 and 25,000 on '09

GREAT CARS

tom
brooklyn park, mn
Pretty impressive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just passed 289K on my '04.
I'd say, expect another 220K without issues... :)
Mobil 1 oil

Original traction battery
Optima 12V battery
Front brakes at 168K
Rear brakes at 178K
Front wheel bearings around 120K

42 mpg still.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 212,000 on my '05 Prius bought new in that year. I do my own oil changes every 5k miles. Have Toyota techs do 75k maintenance. Can't remember replacing brakes, unbelievable lack of repair needed to mechanical and electronic parts. I'll likely keep this car until the Prime is available late in 2016 or in 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 Prius at 156k in Phoenix AZ

My 2006 Prius is currently at 156k, all driven in Phoenix AZ. The hot summers here seems to impact the longevity of some parts. Major parts replaced:

90k – Hybrid battery (replaced by dealer under 100k warranty - lucky me!)
96k – Water pump & serpentine belt
102k – Radiator hoses, coolant, transmission flush
107k – Halogen headlights
123k – Inverter pump
85k & 146k – 12v Gel battery - the heat must be getting to these
142k – Rear shock absorbers
152k Front shock absorbers

Brakes pads are still the original. Cost per year including all replacement parts and regular service at the dealer averages to $900/yr. The car still works beautifully at 51mpg and I intend to keep it going past 200k - unless the hybrid battery dies before that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2005 Prius 180K. All regular maintenance. 4 tire changes ~ $2000. Traction battery at ~150K. $3300. Interestingly, mechanics reported that squirrel cage fan that helps cool battery was covered with pet hair, eliminating airflow. Something worth checking periodically if you have pets. Their hair gets sucked into rear seat vent and gets stuck on fan blades.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our 2004 Prius has over 140000 miles and works just like new. We have all the service done as in the Toyota book. One of the bargaining points we made when buying the car was free oil changes every 5000 miles so long as we own the car. We get them religiously avery 5K.

The only failure is that a button on the steering wheel that takes you to the screen that shows economy doesn't work. Not a problem as two finger taps via the dash mounted info and touch screen buttons gets you to the same place.

Everyone always asks what about the big battery. How much do they cost, how often do you replace it. Don't know the cost as the original is still working fine. On a recent vacation to Canada we used cabs several times. Virtually all the cabs we saw were Prius. Chatting with the drivers was interesting. They recommended against buying a new traction battery, if needed, and against partial replacement. Instead they recommended getting a good second hand battery from an auto recycler from a wrecked Prius with a good battery.

So long as our '04 meets our basic requirements, we will keep it. Requirements are: reliable, economical, safe.

Happy motoring,

Patrick

·
Registered
11 Posts
147K and still going strong

Well, not as strong as it used to. Overall mileage has deteriorated a bit to 46.46 since new, body has some dings, like its owner, 12V battery, stering half-shaft and yoke, 3 sets of tires and struts all around are the only major repairs, several of which I ascribe to a hungry dealer. No plans to get rid of it any time soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Approaching 100K miles.

Our 2006 Prius has just passed 70,000 miles, and to help make a decision about its future, we'd like to know the experience people have had with the Prius over 100,000 miles. Does the battery system have to get replaced? Is that a super expensive cost of maintenance?
My 2012 Prius C is rapidly approaching 95k and I've had no issues whatsoever except routine maint. and tires. Rolling along just fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our 2004 Prius is doing fine going on 140000 miles. We love it. We will keep it so long as it continues to meet the criteria important to us:
1. Safe, all the safety stuff like traction control and antilock brakes etc works right.
2. It is economical, doesn't need too much maintenance to stay 100%
3. It is reliable, has to start first time every time and NEVER EVER strands my wife.

Only non scheduled maint was a water pump back before 100,000 miles and the only time it refused to start because I forgot to test the 12 volt battery and after nearly 8 years it quit. Provided 12 volts to underhood power point, started it up, and drove to get new batt right then.

YMMV

Patrick

21 - 40 of 40 Posts