Toyota Prius Forum banner

What is the typical mileage for your Prius?

• Average about 35 mpg, as claimed by the CBS article.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average about 40 mpg.

• Average about 45 mpg.

• Average about 55 mpg.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
DanMan32 said:
Canadian Prius said:
This is why I think there should be a 'smart' air conditioning choice
The AC compressor for 2004+ prius is electric, runs off the traction battery... I would agree though that it would be nice for the heat to turn off at stops so the ICE is not forced to run if the coolant isn't sufficiently hot for cabin heat.
There's a lot that could be customized on the Prius. Toyota seems to be going slow about taking too much control from the user - and I'm sure they know their buyers much better than I do. I would like to see them 'hide' a configuration screen where you could get to it if you really wanted to, but otherwise it would simply behave like the cars people are used to driving. But perhaps they are worried that even that would be too radical for onlookers who might not understand why their friend's Prius does those things.

· Registered
67 Posts
An04Prius said:
Canadian Prius said:
mrv said:
Pretty simple to have 100% manual control - just turn the fan to off!
I know - it isn't that difficult once you get in the habit, expecially with the button so easy to reach on the steering wheel. But the computer could do it easier!...
:x NOT so easy. :x

It was a warm day, I had the A/C on, set to 72 to cool car. It is now evening. Outside air is pleasantly cool, in the 60s. I want to get that delicious cool evening air into the car (windows closed, traffic too noisey)

I turn the fan on...the automatic car says "oh, this guy wants heat, to get up to 72 !!" Even if I do not put the fan on, warm air will come out of the vents. I also have to go back to change the "temp" to "max cold".
That is too much to do...so yes, I (and Jake, specially) want manual control. Tomorrow, I will again have to reset the temp to 72, etc etc.

I actually found that the prius always gives you what you asked for....

You want 72 ? thats what it gives you.

But really i'm curious to how you think the engineers could solve this problem ?

· Registered
6,624 Posts
An04Prius said:
:x NOT so easy. :x

It was a warm day, I had the A/C on, set to 72 to cool car. It is now evening. Outside air is pleasantly cool, in the 60s. I want to get that delicious cool evening air into the car (windows closed, traffic too noisey)

I turn the fan on...the automatic car says "oh, this guy wants heat, to get up to 72 !!"
Only if the CABIN temp is significanly colder than 72. Outdoor temp is a factor, but it is the indoor temp that is measured and achieved.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
lowspeed said:
But really i'm curious to how you think the engineers could solve this problem ?
At present the priorities in the Prius system governing the state of charge of the battery cause the climate control to take precedence over the use or non-use of the engine: this means that if the SOC of the battery requires that there be either more charging or less load, the computer program implements more charging, and starts the engine to accomplish it.

I'm suggesting there could be an alternative setting available to the user that would reverse these priorities: If the SOC of the battery required more charging or less load, the system would turn off the AC until charging power was avaialbe from the engine - for example after the driver continues on from a stoplight. This of course would result in better mileage, because the engine would never run just to supply power, (through the battery) to the AC.

Of course this would be an alternative setting, somewhat similar to the existing 'auto' climate setting. If the driver decided he wanted to revert to the condition where he controlled the AC, he could simply turn off this 'power saving mode'.

· Registered
67 Posts
Canadian Prius said:
lowspeed said:
At present the priorities in the Prius system governing the state of charge of the battery cause the climate control to take precedence over the use or non-use of the engine: this means that if the SOC of the battery requires that there be either more charging or less load, the computer program implements more charging, and starts the engine to accomplish it.

I'm suggesting there could be an alternative setting available to the user that would reverse these priorities: If the SOC of the battery required more charging or less load, the system would turn off the AC until charging power was avaialbe from the engine - for example after the driver continues on from a stoplight. This of course would result in better mileage, because the engine would never run just to supply power, (through the battery) to the AC.

Of course this would be an alternative setting, somewhat similar to the existing 'auto' climate setting. If the driver decided he wanted to revert to the condition where he controlled the AC, he could simply turn off this 'power saving mode'.
I was talking about this problem ...

I turn the fan on...the automatic car says "oh, this guy wants heat, to get up to 72 !!" Even if I do not put the fan on, warm air will come out of the vents. I also have to go back to change the "temp" to "max cold".

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
lowspeed said:

Haven't exactly been there, but why not set the temperature roughly to the outside temperature and the recirculating to off - then you get a flow of air from outside at a 'neutral' temp. Do you think that would work?

· Registered
978 Posts
Canadian Prius said:
lowspeed said:

Haven't exactly been there, but why not set the temperature roughly to the outside temperature and the recirculating to off - then you get a flow of air from outside at a 'neutral' temp. Do you think that would work?
I didnt mean to make a big deal out of this. :wink: It is just a minor inconvenience. The thing that appears to work for me, is resetting the temp to "max cold" then resetting it back to whatever, during a warm (or cold) day. I am no expert, so there may be other approaches/solutions.

· Registered
978 Posts
lowspeed said:
I actually found that the prius always gives you what you asked for....

You want 72 ? thats what it gives you.

You are exaclty right...like when I used to program my computer to do the wrong thing, it did the wrong thing EVERY time. :(

I would like a separate manual fan switch, that is independent of the automatic system, to bring in outside air.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
An04Prius said:
You are exaclty right...like when I used to program the computer to do the wrong thing, it did the wrong thing EVERY time. Damn.
You seem to be implying that the implementation is somehow wrong. Compared to other cars that have automatic climate control systems, it seems to be nearly identical if not absolutely identical. Whether or not that is a good implementation is certainly debateable but I'm very happy with it the way it is. Of course I don't spend a lot of time writing how happy I am that the climate system works exactly as I would expect and I suspect others like me are the same.

I wonder how many like it the way it is vs. those that don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority are happy and are just underrepresented.

· Registered
426 Posts
We love it. This was our first car with climate control and the wife insisted on it when we bought our next car. The only thing I do find weird is that I have to change the temperature much more often than I do in the Sienna, and over a wider range. The Sienna I pretty much have at 72 or 74, the Prius anywhere from 71-77. Weird.

Spike

· Registered
978 Posts
redwein said:
An04Prius said:
You are exaclty right...like when I used to program the computer to do the wrong thing, it did the wrong thing EVERY time. Damn.
You seem to be implying that the implementation is somehow wrong. Compared to other cars that have automatic climate control systems, it seems to be nearly identical if not absolutely identical. Whether or not that is a good implementation is certainly debateable but I'm very happy with it the way it is. Of course I don't spend a lot of time writing how happy I am that the climate system works exactly as I would expect and I suspect others like me are the same.

I wonder how many like it the way it is vs. those that don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority are happy and are just underrepresented.
I really dont mean to sound like a crab about the climate control. I love the car and all of its features, including the climate control. Resetting the temp so often, bugs me a bit, but pointing it out sounds worse than I mean it to. Nothing is perfect, but this car comes as close as any :wink:

Attachments

· Registered
978 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I like it. I just wish there was a way to turn off the heat as there is to turn off the AC.
'xactly !

· Registered
210 Posts
This thread is hilarious. The origional CBS story is such BS, one has to wonder if the author got some nice gifts or something from GM for it. Did Duke Cunningham write that "piece" for CBS?

Consumer Reports (which was cited in the story) is taken completely out of context. In fact, they found the Prius to get approximately 45mpg in ordinary driving (CBS claimed 35mpg which is total BS) i.e. without making any effort towards fuel conservation, which is exactly what drivers here say. Many posters also mention that driving the Prius leads to increased awareness of efficiency, and that they begin to enjoy driving in a smoother and more efficient manner, which can lead to 50mpg and up. CR gave the Prius top marks accross the board, and was only concerned about price, but that was before the $3K tax credit. Also, CR regularly finds all vehicles to be way below EPA mileage estimates. Why? Because the EPA tests are a joke, but most drivers have no idea how bad their mileage is.

Then the CBS story points out the Prius gets as much as 20mpg under the EPA estimate… funny thing is that still leaves 40mpg. In other words, the Prius still gets about double the MPG as similar vehicles in its class, and the margin or error for the Prius is about as much as the total MPG for many vehicles in its class. Actually, CBS didn’t even get that right because in reality the Prius gets 45+ mpg based on customer feedback and real world tests. Real geniuses at CBS.

I also notice that the usual apologists for Prius bashing were up to their old tricks, namely Hyperion and FishAntlers. Has Hyperion invented any new problems with the Prius only he’s aware of lately? I particularly love the imaginary problems that are mechanically impossible. And FishAntlers… lol, he was plugging XM radio along with GM trucks… wow two failing companies at once! Glad fishAnterls likes them, too bad not many other people do, otherwise they wouldn’t be hemorrhaging $$$. Guess they better get more stealth marketers, or Antlers better find some other sponsors before they go belly up. Maybe Toyota wants him. Nah, I doubt it, their customers value quality.

heh :^)

· Registered
2 Posts
wayneswhirld said:
It's also interesting that this Hybrid Hoax article on CBS News is actually taken from the Weeky Standard--the editor of which is none other than that sweet neo-con, William Kristol...really lends an air of legitimacy eh?

Anytime I see the word neo-con I quit reading because I know the author is either totally uninformed or too bias to be reliable.

BTW, I don't think the article is accurate either, as I get 60+ MPG on my 04, but I do know two people who get 40 or less, because they never took the time to learn to drive a Prius. This doesn't mean, however, that I think they're part of a "vast right wing" or any other kind of conspiracy.

· Registered
210 Posts
Hyperion, had any other imaginary problems with your Prius that only you seem to experience, and yet you're sure everyone else has too?

How come you love Prius so much, whenever there is a Prius bashing thread and urban legend, there you are the apologist for it?

· Registered
210 Posts
odell said:
Anytime I see the word neo-con I quit reading because I know the author is either totally uninformed or too bias to be reliable.
Are you saying Neo-Cons don't exist or that they aren't reliable? Becasue if it's the latter, you're correct. If it's the former, then you should go tell the people who self describe themselves as neo-cons that they don't exist.

As far a "conspiracies" go, it's not a conspiracy in the sense that people have to plan it togeather. It's more like a prejudice born from ignorance, i.e. some people just don't like the idea a foreign company can make a great car, and that US makers are all failing, so they find nits to pick and generally circulate unsubstantiated myths. FishAntlers is a good example.

And btw, regarding US companies and "conspiracies" a very small number of people sit on all the boards of the major US companies, because most of them sit on several to tens of boards. There is seldom more than one degree of seperation between a member of one board and any other. That very tiny and close knit community tends to share a lot of common interests, so it doesn't exactly take a conspiracy to figure out that major media companies have close ties to GM and US auto makers. FYI. Of course most of what big companies do it good, it's just the other stuff to look out for. Like the way Enron was able to not only defraud it's employees and investors, but the way Wall Street, several major banks like Merryl Lynch, One of the worlds top accounting firms Arthur Anderson, and countless others including many media pundits were in on the take intentionally or simply compromised and sold out. That's how "conspiracies" really work, it's just widespread corruption and a lack of firewalls between companies, Wall Street, and government.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts