Toyota Prius Forum banner

What is the typical mileage for your Prius?

• Average about 35 mpg, as claimed by the CBS article.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average about 40 mpg.

• Average about 45 mpg.

• Average about 50 mpg.

• Average about 55 mpg.

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Cool. I'm a zealot!

Consumer's Union numbers, just like the silly EPA sticker numbers are only good for comparison. There is no "normal" usage. Along with the higher mpg we get with the Prius comes a wider range of variablility. Temperature, length of drives, driving habits, tire inflation, all move the numbers more so with this car than most others.

I know I see 40 mpg in the winter and near 50 in the summer. 100% of the people in my survey (of one) average 45mpg.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
You know from what I've read here, I think if the survey had a 43 mpg box fully 70 % would have checked it off. I had to toss a coin to go 40 or 45. I've seen a little above 45 a couple times but not that often and from reading posts here for two years have seen 43 more than any other number. Of course I check my tires at oil chamges but would sooner if one looked soft. Keep them at "book" and otherwise drive normally. A lot of 70 mph, cause that's all you will observe on the interstates here. (speed limit is 65) Get my best milage around town (gets my milage up to 43) but my commute is mainly on the highway.
I can remember just one instance of attempting to sqeeze a few more miles from my gas supply and that was on an interstate in Va. during an ice storm when I really screwed up and pulled into my regular refuelling spot with a 1/4 tank of gas and found no electridity and thus no gas. Drove normally to the next exit and found the same problem before I started sweating it out and driving at 35 mph and coasting down every slope I found. After about five more exits (and fifty miles) I finally found a station with a generator and got a full tank. Did have to eat cold sanwiches under candlelight in the Holiday Inn dining room in Bristol Tn. that night and slept with several more blankets than usual

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
hyperion said:
You know from what I've read here, I think if the survey had a 43 mpg box fully 70 % would have checked it off.
I can't see how you come to this conclusion. Are you assuming that some of the 48% of respondents that say they get 50 mpg or better aren't being truthful? Could be. But then, why would a box marked '43' make them decide to be honest? That wouldn't make sense. They already could have chosen 45 if they wanted to.

If some are overestimating, then probably others are underestimating. I think the poll is pretty accurate, and there's no need to second guess it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gosh! I guess I must have offended someone by getting good mileage in
my Prius. A Zelot, eh?
Ok, Ok, I've always been a "live and let live" guy so I apologize for getting good milage in my car. I also apologize for being satisfied with it's performance and apologize for truthfully answering the poll.
Fact is, if naysayers and other sour grapes posters can convice the general public that Hybrid technology doesn't work then perhaps the savings I enjoy won't end up being taxed as indicated in another post.
We ought to have a poll covering how many anti Hybrid posters even own a Prius or, for that matter, have ever even driven one.
Wanna guess the outcome?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Prius MPG is only 38

Titanicman said:
Now granted I live in Northern Iowa, but this has been a mild winter with temps above zero most of the time. The Prius is only getting 35 - 38 MPG. I don't jack rabbit start or stop, and I try to keep the mileage gauge up as high as I can. My work commute consists of 3 miles in town driving (25 - 45 mph) and 8 miles of highway speeds (58 mph). That's it.... I think the ICE runs most of the time and I can't figure out why. When I slowly pull away from a stop sign (using only electricity) it only goes to about 20 mph before the ICE kicks in. I know the heater causes the ICE to run more often, but I would really hate to see what I would get for MPG if it was really cold like other winters.
After a year with the Prius, I'm increasingly convinced that the *single biggest factor in mpg* is the length of your average trip. Yours looks like about 15 minutes each way. This is fairly short, which means the ICE spends a lot of time warming up - especially in winter - which means lower mpg. Ambient temperature, tire pressure, oil overfills, driving style, topography and road surface can all have major effects on mpg, but if you have short trips in any kind of cold weather (even in the 40s), you simply won't get more the 25 mpg the first five minutes. This dramatically decreases mpg on 10- or 15-minute trips.

Drive somewhere that's an hour away, and you'll see your mileage improve, unless you drive 80 mph. :wink:

Don't try to maximize your all-electric driving: All the Prius' energy ultimately comes from gasoline, so you're just shifting the timing of your gasoline consumption, not the amount. Learn to find "gliding" mode on the energy display - no arrows going anywhere. Here you get all the benefits of coasting without the loss of control. It's the Prius' most energy-efficient mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with Mark on this one and it's not just because he's from Colorado. Trip length is the most important factor. Quality gas is second. I average between 47 and 55 on my 30 to 45 minute commute depending on the season. In order for me to get even close to 40 I would have to stop a couple times going to and from the office and let engine cool down.

It wasn't until a recent trip to Sedona, AZ that I was really impressed. With a wife, 2 kids and luggage I wasn't about to slow down to 60 or 65 just to up my mileage. We took the western route going down there at about 70 to 75 mph. We took the south route coming back, all Interstate and had the CC set for 80mph. For the entire trip we got 47mpg.

I read the good articles and I read the bad articles. All I know is what I get and the car doesn't lie to me.

P.S. - Hyperion you crack me up. Sweating bullets with a quarter tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
getting the most mileage out of this Post!

If I wanted to support Dan Rather and CBS News, I would invite Dan for a ride in my Prius during Rush Hour from Work to Home in Austin. With a cold engine in heavy traffic, I might get 33 mpg for the 5.6 mile compute with a net elevation increase of several hundred feet.

If I wanted to show off the world-class mileage capabilities of the Pirus, I would invite Dan for a ride from Home to Work via a longer rural route. With a warm engine in light traffic, I might get 61 mpg for the 9.7 mile compute with a net elevation decrease of several hundred feed.

Which one is more real-world?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
fish_antlers said:
well... scenerio "A" is real world.
I hate to say it, but fish is right... My dad used to tell me how he had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, up hill, both ways.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
melgish said:
fish_antlers said:
I hate to say it, but fish is right... My dad used to tell me how he had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, up hill, both ways.
I think I knew your dad. Wasn't that before those fish with antlers went extinct?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Canadian Prius said:
Wasn't that before those fish with antlers went extinct?
Well, actually they were only thought to be extinct. But then one was discovered off the coast of Madagascar in 1938. The fish was described by Miss Marjorie Latimer, the lady who first noticed it, as "the most beautiful fish I had ever seen, five feet long, and a pale mauve blue with iridescent silver markings." It was 14 years later before a second one was found. But as you can see, they do appear occasionally.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
sub3marathonman said:
Well, actually they were only thought to be extinct. But then one was discovered off the coast of Madagascar in 1938. The fish was described by Miss Marjorie Latimer, the lady who first noticed it, as "the most beautiful fish I had ever seen, five feet long, and a pale mauve blue with iridescent silver markings." It was 14 years later before a second one was found. But as you can see, they do appear occasionally.
It's really a shame that such a wonderful creature cannot be preserved. But as long as the poor things keep climbing in trucks that get 8 mpg, what can you expect? They're their own worst enemy.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
sub3marathonman said:
Canadian Prius said:
Wasn't that before those fish with antlers went extinct?
Well, actually they were only thought to be extinct.
So THAT's what the extinction cancellation button on my 2001 Prius does! ;)

(for those not aware, on the early printings of the US 2001 Prius Owner's Manual (sent to waiting owners via the mail/UPS), the translation did not go so well... the "extinction cancellation button" is in the early Owner's Manuals, but they meant the MPH/kph button on the dash. It was corrected in the later printed manual (the one that was delivered with my car). (Outside of North America, the MPH/kph button is used to change the dashboard light dim level from bright to dim or back - they do not get a little dimmer wheel like in N.A.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
fish_antlers said:
Well ... both scenarios are real world. I got real-world mpg in the high 30s around New Year's, shuttling relatives around Boulder. (It's a more compact city than Colorado Springs, hence lower mpg.) But the mpg for the entire tank, including the Boulder miles, was a real-world 50.

Low mpg is not inherently more "real" than high mpg. Someone who gets low mpg is not inherently more credible than someone who gets high mpg. Those of us who get over 50 mpg in our Prius are no less real than those who get under 40 ...

But we're a LOT more numerous, as is revealed by any open-minded study of Prius mpg patterns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MPG/glide

What is glide. We just bought our Prius and are experimenting with driving styles. For instance---If I see a stop light coming up, I take my foot off the excelerator and coast a much longer distance than I used to..to a stop. it seems in this case, the blue arrows always come on. Only when I am at a standstill do no arrows come on. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Re: MPG/glide

rebal6 said:
What is glide. We just bought our Prius and are experimenting with driving styles. For instance---If I see a stop light coming up, I take my foot off the excelerator and coast a much longer distance than I used to..to a stop. it seems in this case, the blue arrows always come on. Only when I am at a standstill do no arrows come on. :D
Glide is the state where there is nothing powering the Prius and no regenerative braking taking place. It is the most efficient state of the Prius because it is using its momentum to take you as far as it is possible to take you. This is useful if you are traveling down a hill, but see an uphill stretch ahead that your momentum can carry you part way up. However, if you are approaching a stoplight, then just taking your foot off the accelerator, or light braking will use your un-needed momentum to charge the batteries.

You can put your Prius in the glide state by taking your foot off the accelerator, then pressing lightly until all the arrows disappear, i.e. there is no charge, and there is no ICE power or battery power being used.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts