Toyota Prius Forum banner

What is the typical mileage for your Prius?

• Average about 35 mpg, as claimed by the CBS article.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average about 40 mpg.

• Average about 45 mpg.

• Average about 50 mpg.

• Average about 55 mpg.

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Seven7 said:
Kristol is also on the board for the mega right-winged powerhouse, the PNAC (Project for a New American Century), along with Tom Bolton, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Armitage, Zalmay Khalilzad, and fellow media man Charles Krauthammer... et. al.

Spreading Democracy the world over by force, one country at a time.
Wow! And there was some question this CBS article didn't carry an agenda!

What will those guys attack next?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all, I disregarded the USA Today report when I initially read it as the testing methodology was flawed. As I remember the Jetta was driven downwind (east to west) and the Prius upwind (west to east). Performing this test in the spring would be the worse time of year for wind effects on the results.

In any SCCA timing event the average of driving the course in both directions is used as the reported value for speed. The effects on fuel economny at a standard speed would be similarly effected by wind and elevation changes as the peak speed a vehicle obtains.

But as far as a Hybrid/Atkinson engine being any better than a Diesel, is not possible. The Diesel can idle with very little energy consumtion due to its lean burn. This is similar to the Hybrid/Atkinson turning off the engine and running on battery. The power increase to simultaneously recharge the battery and propell the car should move the Atkinson toward a more efficient operating point. The two cars should be very similar in energy/mile, which should result in the Diesel having 1.13 times the fuel economy (at 1.13 times the fuel cost typically). A test done by Mercedies comparing its Diesel SUV against the RX-400H resulted in almost exactly this result. The Mercedes test had much better methodology, in that both vehicles were driven down the road a few hundred yards from each other during the test.

The main problem with Diesels in the U.S. is the sulfur in the fuel. Just drive behind a brand new VW Diesel for a few miles and you will smell it. Until cars can run on 100 % bio-Diesel, I am opting for a hybrid.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's telling that the CBS (i.e. Weekly Standard) article used the word "liberals" perjoratively in the very first sentence. No... the article didn't have a conservative axe to grind. :roll:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
troll food?

fish_antlers said:
very informative article. thanks for the post.
What could you have possibly learned from the article that you didn't already believe to the very core of your being? :wink:

·
Registered
455 Posts
donee said:
Until cars can run on 100 % bio-Diesel, I am opting for a hybrid.
Actually cars can run on it now, it is just a little hard to find. My brother runs his MB deisel of on 100% Bio, well actually 99.9% for tax reasons.

Spike

·
Registered
6 Posts
You hit the nail right on the Head!

dogtag said:
As usual, the media has it all wrong. I lump articles like this in with those that try to predict the Weather here on the Washington Coast.
I would be willing to bet the guy who wrote this trash hasn't even set foot in a hybrid.

Prius is nothing more than a tool that allows you to control several fuel usage variables. These tools are not available in other cars.
How you use the "tool" will dictate your fuel efficiency outcome.
I have since applied my new found skills to driving my other cars and have seen a marked improvement in the mileage they obtain.
Nothing even close to the Prius but most welcome anyway.
That is exactly it.... If you drive a Prius like a Bat out of Hell (with apologies to Meatloaf), it will not get mileage anywhere NEAR EPA... If you try & sail a sunfish out in the ocean, you'll probably capsize... Does that make a sunfish a terrible sailboat.. NO, it means you are doing something for which it was not meant for.

If you drive with any thought towards fuel conservation, your Prius will NOT be a lie... and you will be driving some of the best (NOT all of the best) technology on the road.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: troll food?

melgish said:
fish_antlers said:
very informative article. thanks for the post.
What could you have possibly learned from the article that you didn't already believe to the very core of your being? :wink:

hmmm... should I listen to the Internet, or Consumer Reports?

:roll:

·
Premium Member
640 Posts

fish_antlers said:
In this case, you should listen to the Internet, specifically our poll of so far 88 participants, showing about 48 MPG. Unlike Consumer Reports and the EPA, this is real world. Consumer Reports is not perfect.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wasn't there a video posted here done by a TV show in Vancover Can. where they took 7 cars on a 200 Km trip around Vancover in the city and out. Stopped 7 times durning the test and switched drivers the test consisted of 3 hybrids, 3 of what the manufactures said was the non hydrid closest to the hybrid(camery in the toyota case) and a VW desiel the reuslts were someting like the the VW was 2nd and the Pri was a far away first probably the best and fairest test i have seen

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
But your poll is being taken from owners who have purchased the car seeking high milage figures and use several methods that an average driver would not have the patience to even attempt. I would expect to see much higher marks from this group.
My doctor for instance purchased an 05 on my reccomendation early last year and is very happy with his average 43 MPG. (as am I)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Prius MPG is only 38

Now granted I live in Northern Iowa, but this has been a mild winter with temps above zero most of the time. The Prius is only getting 35 - 38 MPG. I don't jack rabbit start or stop, and I try to keep the mileage gauge up as high as I can. My work commute consists of 3 miles in town driving (25 - 45 mph) and 8 miles of highway speeds (58 mph). That's it.... I think the ICE runs most of the time and I can't figure out why. When I slowly pull away from a stop sign (using only electricity) it only goes to about 20 mph before the ICE kicks in. I know the heater causes the ICE to run more often, but I would really hate to see what I would get for MPG if it was really cold like other winters.

When I drove it roughly 200 miles (mostly interstate) at a speed of 70 mph, it averaged 36 MPG. Which reminds me, I was told my speedometer is off by 5 MPH at 70 which is really weird because I checked the "odometer" from mile marker to mile marker and after 22 miles, it was still right on the button, so only the speed is off. I was told the speed was off by 3 different car loads of my friends. We were transporting the high school bowling team to a regional match. Therefore everyone was following me because of my Nav which drove us right to the bowling alley.

So, how is everyone else's mileage? Now be honest!!!! Is mine the only one getting this bad of mileage? If so, what should I do???

Thanks!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in Western Washington. Temp here has been between 40 and 55 degrees most of the winter.
I have snow tires on all the way around. We get lot's of black ice here so we need the studs.
We have been getting 44 with the snow tires on and before that, 53 on the average.
We have done 62 on one tank and that was on a long trip where we really tried to stay around 55 and used the cruise alot.
I guess the only way to find out if the temp is causing you a problem is to drive over there and run thru a tank full but you would have to feed me.
Don't discount the quality of the fuel you are using.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Prius mileage and CBS

Steve of Iowa, there have been quite a few posts here discussing mileage, and one of the main points made has been regarding tire pressure. Some owners run their cold tire pressure at around 42/40psi. I keep mine around 37psi, and living in mostly warm So. Calif., have a lifetime average of 54mpg. I keep my freeway speeds mostly in the 57-60 mph range, unless I am in the carpool lane, where I sometimes have to do 70mph so as not to impede traffic. I try to anticipate traffic and signal lights in order to get the maximum coasting/recharge. Even with a full charge, it takes a pretty light foot to stay on battery power up to 41mph. If the charge level is lower, mine kicks in the ICE much sooner. I try to use "smoothness and consistency" in applying throttle, brakes and steering, just like Sir Jackie Stewart used to say in the Ford commercials. All of these things help get the best mileage in every vehicle I drive. I am a chauffeur, and I regularly get 27mpg in an S Class Mercedes driving between LA and San Diego, with some fairly heavy traffic at times.
Finally, have you compared the mpg you are getting now with what you got for the same trip with your previous vehicle? My last one, a Toyota T100 pickup truck, averaged about 18mpg, so I have cut my fuel costs by two thirds. CBS and the rest of the naysayers irritate me, but I've got my money's worth!
P.S.- Try clocking your time between those highway mileage markers with your cruise control on, then do the math to determine actual speed. Your friends' cars may not be spot on either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: Prius MPG is only 38

Titanicman said:
Now granted I live in Northern Iowa, but this has been a mild winter with temps above zero most of the time. The Prius is only getting 35 - 38 MPG. I don't jack rabbit start or stop, and I try to keep the mileage gauge up as high as I can. My work commute consists of 3 miles in town driving (25 - 45 mph) and 8 miles of highway speeds (58 mph). That's it.... I think the ICE runs most of the time and I can't figure out why. When I slowly pull away from a stop sign (using only electricity) it only goes to about 20 mph before the ICE kicks in. I know the heater causes the ICE to run more often, but I would really hate to see what I would get for MPG if it was really cold like other winters.

When I drove it roughly 200 miles (mostly interstate) at a speed of 70 mph, it averaged 36 MPG. Which reminds me, I was told my speedometer is off by 5 MPH at 70 which is really weird because I checked the "odometer" from mile marker to mile marker and after 22 miles, it was still right on the button, so only the speed is off. I was told the speed was off by 3 different car loads of my friends. We were transporting the high school bowling team to a regional match. Therefore everyone was following me because of my Nav which drove us right to the bowling alley.

So, how is everyone else's mileage? Now be honest!!!! Is mine the only one getting this bad of mileage? If so, what should I do???

Thanks!!
I get in the 50s on average. 45-50 in the winter and 50-55 in the Spring & Summer. On my morning commute I take a winding back road for 15 - 20 minutes, and then the freeway for 15 - 20 minutes.
I have my tires set to only 1 PSI above what is recommended on the door jamb.
Odometers and Speedometers are no longer tied together as they once were.
I verified my Speedometer to a GPS unit, far more accurate than using another car, or even 3 other cars and at 60 MPH it was off by 1 MPH, the GPS had me doing 59 MPH.
Your mileage may suck in part to your rather short commute, it never really gets warmed up, especially on cold days like you have there.
What was your last vehicle and what was your mileage on that loop?

Spike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Prius MPG is only 38

Titanicman said:
Which reminds me, I was told my speedometer is off by 5 MPH at 70 which is really weird because I checked the "odometer" from mile marker to mile marker and after 22 miles, it was still right on the button, so only the speed is off. I was told the speed was off by 3 different car loads of my friends.
I am sure your "friends" were driving vehicles with analog gauges. The manufacturing requirement is to verify accuracy at an idicated speed of 55 mph. If the gauge has an adjustment, this is the speed that is made accurate. For the remainder of the scale below 55, the allowed tolerance is +4/-0, meaning the speedometer is allowed to read up to 4 MPH faster than actual, but never allowed to read slow. Any digital input for speed is converted to analog (voltage) and the gauge simply displays this voltage with some level of accuracy.

The Prius uses digital inputs to arrive at a speed calculation. This calculation is then used by various systems. The odometer/speedometer is one and the same from a systems point of view. If the odometer is accurate, the indicated digital speed will be accurate (unless there is a segment (display) failure). They are one and the same calculation, simply displayed in two formats: speed over time = distance, and actual speed. The digital input resulting in a speed calculation is displayed as a digital value, no losses or error from converting to analog or any further resulting gauge error.

I am quite sure it is your friend's vehicles that are incorrectly displaying speed. Have them clock 10 miles on the odometer using mile markers. I'll bet they come up short or long.

·
Registered
619 Posts

wayneswhirld said:
fish_antlers said:
In this case, you should listen to the Internet, specifically our poll of so far 88 participants, showing about 48 MPG. Unlike Consumer Reports and the EPA, this is real world. Consumer Reports is not perfect.

no... infact it's the opposite. Consumer Reports is well regarded as a group of unbiased professionals. This website is not only a Brand specific forum, but it is model specific. By the behavior I have observed over the last 4 months of being a member, it is plainly obvious that there is nothing on this site that could be remotely considered to be "impartiality".

Even people who suggest the purchase of other brands of Hybrids are shot down in flames on this site.

Believe the Consumer Reports. They have no hidden agenda, unlike this site which is nothing more than a skillful marketing tool with Toyota pulling the strings.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

wayneswhirld said:
fish_antlers said:
Yes, with 92 responses so far, the average is 47.8 mpg.

I assume that most of the responses give a truly 'typical' mileage rating for their Prius. That means what they consider the average to be over summer and winter driving, over city and highway driving, over conservation consious driving and those times when they are in a hurry and drive more for speed and performance. The geographic range also accounts for variations in climate and driving temperatures.

I have been on this forum for almost two years, and I can vouch for the quality of the participants - this is a group of people who are genuinely concerned with real values, and how to achieve real results. This can be seen in all discussions, not just those relating to Prius mileage.

Many log their mileage from each tankfull with careful accuracy, and have posted their detailed results. Although it can probably be said that the people here drive more carefully than the average driver because they do care, it is very unlikely that these same people could achieve anything close to the same results with any other vehicle no matter how careful they might be.

From hybrid detractors I have read that these kinds of results don't count because Prius owners are a special interest group that are fanatical about getting good mileage from their vehicles, and the average North American vehicle owner wouldn't drive the same way, and wouldn't get the same results. But, I think this says more about the culture of waste inherent in the longstanding conditioning of consumers than it does about the Prius and those who chose to own one.

North American culture has grown so accustomed to disposable consumer items, which started out as paper bags and dixie cups, but now extends to every kind of food packaging, VCRs, cell phones, computers... almost any kind of appliance you can think of... that our individual ability to waste resources has become valued as a prime indicator of our financial prowess. This, while we consume a quarter of the world's resources with 5% of it's population.

So yes, Priuis owners are not 'average' North American vehicle owners, but they are on the cutting edge of what the average will have to become if we are ever going to develop a mature relationship to our planet and those we share it with.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts