Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this car for 6 weeks. I am very surprised at the mileage numbers I've been getting.

First tank (worst tank) 44
Best tank 52

And this is during the winter in Ohio! When they switch over to the summer formulation gas and the temps warm up, I fully expect to see the sticker ratings of 60.

My conditions are unique though. 90% of my driving is taxing my kids around city streets with speed limits of 25-45. I get quite a few trips on country roads too, where the speed limit is 50. The Prius absolutely LOVES that!

The only mileage killer I have to deal with is the frequent short trips (to and from school, etc). The car doesn't really get a chance to warm up, so I see 25mpg for the first 5 minutes. I've been able to counter that by being extra careful to force stealth as much as possible when heading home on these short trips. Hey, it works for me!

With $3 a gallon possible this summer I am loving this car more every day I drive it... and its phenomenal mileage was a distant 3rd on the list of reasons why I bought it!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Congratulations on figuring out the secret. If you drive with good mileage in mind, the Prius will reward you with good mileage. Actually, the same driving habits you use in the Prius will work on other vehicles as well. As we get closer to summer, those suv's will get cheaper and cheaper to buy! $3 per gallon will do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mom question

HI
I noticed you have kids. I love to get a Prius but I have 2 young kids and I now drive a mini van and I am afraid I will regret selling my van because of the room. Do you wish you had more room?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Roger V said:
Congratulations on figuring out the secret. If you drive with good mileage in mind, the Prius will reward you with good mileage. Actually, the same driving habits you use in the Prius will work on other vehicles as well. As we get closer to summer, those suv's will get cheaper and cheaper to buy! $3 per gallon will do it.
Not necessarily. At those low speeds, the Prius doesn't penalize you for traffic stops, where other cars will, due to idling. When the last bar is blinking, I forget that I don't have to worry about using what precious fuel I have left idling at stops.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: Mom question

adamsmom said:
HI
I noticed you have kids. I love to get a Prius but I have 2 young kids and I now drive a mini van and I am afraid I will regret selling my van because of the room. Do you wish you had more room?

Thanks
It's tight with my 3 kids (5.5 y/o twin boys and 8mo daughter), but not bothersomely so. With 2 it would be very comfy. The only things you'll miss will be a little bit in the way of cargo room and, if you have it, a rear-seat entertainment system.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You'll really miss the comfort of those two front seats along with the visability, and ease of loading even groceries. Of course you can make do but I don't think you should just let the "milage" sway you unless it is a financial burden and you were planning on replacing the van anyway. Even then a new fully equipped mini-van can now be purchased for as much as four thousand less than a comparably equipped Prius. Thats a lot of gas money.

·
Registered
736 Posts
DanMan,
I think that you are confusing driving habits with engineering features of the Prius. My point was that if you drive at low speeds, coast to a stop instead of rushing up to it and braking at the last second, use a light throttle, etc, all of which it sounds like she is doing to encourage the Prius to run on the battery, you will get better mileage in any car. Driving habits have nothing to do with the Prius shutting down at stops to save fuel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adamsmom

My kids are 11 and 13. The Prius is the car they INSIST I use to take them anywhere. They love the technology. I haven't taken them on any long excursions yet, but as long as it's only a weekend trip and you pack reasonable I think it would be fine. The back seating area in the Prius actually has MORE leg room than my Durango, no kidding! The trunk space is more than enough for things you need for a few days, but I wouldn't take it for a week long trip, there just wouldn't be enough space for that much luggage.

My kids are into softball, soccer, gymnastics, band among other things and I have never had even a small issue with space carting them and the equipment around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roger V, I see how ya are.

Roger V said:
DanMan,
I think that you are confusing driving habits with engineering features of the Prius. My point was that if you drive at low speeds, coast to a stop instead of rushing up to it and braking at the last second, use a light throttle, etc, all of which it sounds like she is doing to encourage the Prius to run on the battery, you will get better mileage in any car. Driving habits have nothing to do with the Prius shutting down at stops to save fuel.
Just because I'm the one carting kids around I've got boobs? :shock:
I work at home so it's more realistic for me to be the cabby.
[/b]

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Roger V, I see how ya are.

tryoty said:
Just because I'm the one carting kids around I've got boobs? :shock:
I work at home so it's more realistic for me to be the cabby.
[/b]

Ahem. Let's not use quite so derogatory a term for the female anatomy, shall we? :x

Perhaps "breasts" would be better? Or perhaps you'd rephrase to "Just because I'm the one carting kids around, I'm dickless?"

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sanny, to quote a former president...There you go again! :lol:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Roger V said:
I find my driving habits have changed. When I drive my wife's Camry, I find myself coasting, feathering, etc. I've found myself trying to group errand runs to avoid frequent short trips to keep my mpg up there. The car teaches me how to drive!

·
Registered
736 Posts
your mileage may vary

Tryoty,
My apologies! I did think about it after writing my reply, and went back to check whether your gender could be determined by the wording of your message. I suppose I could have used "they/their" as is so common these days, but that goes against the grammar I learned so many years ago.
Carry on, "Mr. Mom!"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[email protected]

I haven't met a woman yet that didn't refer to them using that term, unless they were talking to a doctor. Wasn't trying to offend, just making a light-hearted comment to Roger V about his assumption.

I apologize if you were offended!

Rover V, no appology needed. I laughed when I read it anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts