Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just lazy but I havn't yet seen anything detailing what you'd all estimate to be your average miles per gallon in normal driving. I'm talking with some other people on saturnfans forum about hybrid powertrains (as well as collecting a little info about the Prius for my wife)and would love to know what you'd say is real-world fuel use on these cars. Thank you!

~Dave

·
Registered
928 Posts
Winter: 40 MPG, Summer: 45 MPG.

Back when I had the original low rolling resistance tires it was 45 and 50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MPG

My wife now has aprox. 1300 mlies on her 04 Prius and current average is around 43 MPG. Please take in to consideration that she has a lead foot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My average MPG is 50 to 60. 50 means I'm not paying attention to mileage. 60 means I'm playing for high score. There are lots of threads about this that detail the different factors that affect mileage in the Prius.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got mine in January. When it was around 20 to 30 degrees below zero (F.) and I was letting it run for 5 minutes before driving (because I'm a wimp and need to get the cab warmed up a little bit) and then running the heater on full blast (so the ICE never shuts off) and my typical commute is ten minutes so fully half my driving is in Phase I, I was getting 29 mpg. I presume this is the worst possible driving conditions and so is probably the lowest possible mileage for the Prius.

Now that warmer weather is here (50 to 60 degrees F.) I'm getting around 43 or maybe 44 mpg. I still have a very short commute, but the ICE warms up faster in the warmer weather so Phase I is shorter.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing phenominal mpg numbers after the first 5 minutes. I often see 60 to 75 mpg in the second 5-min segment. And once, on a longer drive, the third segment showed 100 mpg, but the SOC had gone from 7 bars to 4, so that doesn't really count. If my commute were half an hour instead of ten minutes, I bet I'd be getting darn close to those advertised EPA figures.

My driving style is Just drive it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got my car in February, and have been averaging 49-51 mpg. Daniel is right. Longer trips make for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Prius in Colorado getting 50-52 mpg

Now that the really nice weather is here, I'm getting at least 50 mpg during my commutes. When I take my son to school I get 51 or 52 depending on how carefully I drive. It's a 45 minute drive to get him to school and then me to work. When I don't have my son, my commute is about 10 minutes, so the average is worse then due to that initial 5 minutes of warming up (less so in the good weather, but still not trivial).

During the winter the best I was able to get on any particular tank of gas was 48 mpg during a relatively warm week, but the worst was 40 MPG caused by a cold snap and snow storm.

I took a 170 mile trip up to Steamboat from Denver area and averaged 43mpg going up (cause we were in a bit of a hurry) and 48 coming back (also 170 miles since we returned by the same route). I would say half of that was mountainous terrain, as in dropping down to 30 miles per hour going up a steep grade, balanced out by full-on coasting at other times. 4 adults in the car with the back packed with gear. Total cost of the trip as under $20.00, even with a gas price of around $1.70 =)

Patrick
Denver

·
Registered
1 Posts
45-55 summer, 31-38 winter (Boulder, CO; 2001 model)

It depends a LOT on how I drive. If I drive aggressively for short hops, then even in summer I can "achieve" as low as 35 MPG. Driving 80 MPH all day on the freeway yields about 40-41 MPG. Driving the speed limit on the freeway yields about 45, and staying within the speed limit on long drives around town gives the best mileage (55).

Another big factor is tire inflation: if my tires are right at the limit or a pound over, I get noticeably better mileage than if they are even a pound or two under.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 2004 Prius has 4k miles on it. Last four tanks of gas averaged 53-55 mpg. Yes, I do pay attention to driving but not to an anal extent. Tires are 42/40 I did turn off the display for one tank and just drove without thinking much about mpg - when I turned the monitor back on I was at 50mpg. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
we have about 1700 mi. on the Prius and have been getting 45-47 mpg pretty consistently so far. our normal drive to and from work is stop-and-go, but not slow enough that we get 100mpg when we creep up to traffic. now that it's Spring (warmer) and now that the car is piling on the miles, perhaps it will improve. i probably should check the tire pressure too - it looks as though it makes a big difference.

on a side note, on a 3 hour backroad drive this weekend, i got 50 mpg very consistently, so, that made me smile. i'm tired of being in the 40s!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rock solid 45 mpg

Canada calling. My '04 gets 5.2 litres per 100 kilometers, tank after tank. When you convert it it's 45 MPG, (not the larger imperial gallon, but the smaller U.S. gallon).

Our gas price just hit 88.5 cents/litre ($3.35/gal)...higher taxes up here...so I get a lot of questions from my friend with two chevy suburbans.

air4ce
Edmonton, Canada
'04 Salsa Red

·
Registered
27 Posts
Carlos,

The Prius is a fantastic car with great gas milage. However, showing a 70.5 mpg for 7 miles does not translate into any usefull numbers. In fact it will have a negative effect on people when they average 46.5mpg. (which is still a fatastic mpg for a car the size of the Prius) Please feel free to correct me if I am not reading your Multi-Display properly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you want to show great mileage for short distances, take the drive down from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo, or from the Eisenhower Tunnel down to Denver and your display will show 100 mpg for over 30 minutes and exceeding 50 miles.

Too bad most people also have to go uphill...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Phoenix said:
If you want to show great mileage for short distances, take the drive down from Cloudcroft to Albuquerque, or from the Eisenhower Tunnel down to Denver and your display will show 100 mpg for over 30 minutes and exceeding 50 miles.

Too bad most people also have to go uphill...

I live in Florida, we have no hills. the 7 miles number came up while stuck in traffic. I stood still due to a acident for what may have been 5 minutes. My total travel distance is about 25 miles. As you see I was in the car for over 30 mins. the last leg of my trip was 7 miles. Seems the traveled reset after I started moving again. Even so, the 30min trip average is still over 70mpg since last fill up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2002 mileage MPG at 15,000 miles

2002 mileage MPG

My 2002 gets 47+ MPG day-in-out on a (Summer/Spring) 7 mile daily commute.
Gets 52+ on longer drives.

My 2002 gets 39MPG on COLD winter (day-in-out) 7 mile commute; the ICE needs to run to heat the emission system.

I love the white "MarvMobile", not a single problem, squeak or rattle with 15,000 miles so far. Gas savings are nice too. ... and ... I bought it with 0.0% Toyota money and a sharp couple thousand discount off the MSRP. I never have regretted the purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
04 Prius after 15,000 miles

I picked up my 2004 Prius last November. I have just passed 15,000 miles, and have monitored my mileage very closely, keeping track in an Excel spreadsheet.

My actual mileage started out high 40's low 50's and now I'm getting 52-54 combined city/freeway driving.

Most recent tanks have passed 600 miles with 11 - 11.5 gallons.

Yes, it does depend on how you drive. But you can drive efficiently without sacrificing performance. Very small adjustments make a big difference... coasting toward red lights, accelerating quickly (use gas instead of battery) then cruising (on city streets) at 35-40 mph using battery only. (You can easily baby it from -0- to 40 on battery only, but then you've used up the battery and have to use gas to recharge instead of getting long cruising distance -- easier to maintain speed than build it.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 04 Prius since October and have about 2300 miles on it. I live in Minnesota and drive on just short commutes around town. I was very disappointed this winter when I got around 32-33 mpg. Now that it has warmed up, I've been even more disheartend to be getting in the low 40s. It helps to read that others with my driving pattern are doing about the same. When I described my driving habits to the salesman last summer, he said I was the "perfect candidate" for a Prius. Apparently not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts