Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Rush Limbaugh fan but yesterday he ragged on the Prius. Said only Libs drove them and they don't save you any money. He talked about it for about fifteen minutes. Then he talked about his car and how only 400 were made and I have to admit he sounded like a liberal elite :oops: Anyone hear this and any comments from fans and foos too I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On his website rushlimbaugh.com he talks to a caller about the Prius. The recording is at the bottom of his page on the right "open line friday"

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fish_antlers said:
he's right when he says they dont save any money.. dont know how you can argue that point.
It's also true that they don't do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. The fact is that the average Prius buyer doesn't buy it for either of those things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
not sure why anybody is a Rush fan. what a tool.

all I know is still have a third of a tank and I haven't filled up in over ten days, with a 32 mile round trip commute.

let Rush spend his money on more gas. at least it's not prescription drugs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I understand that, but two of grovey's key points are that the following:

only Libs drove them and they don't save you any money
Both of these statements generally hold true... and since they do, what is the complaint about Rush? That he pointed out the obvious?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I guess the problem someone might have is that the way the message is presented. It seems like it is intended to somehow create a negative public perception of the car and its owners. It doesn't personally bother me but it does seem a little ridiculous to care enough about the topic to try to do that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, Limbaugh is an idiot, a liar, a hypocrtie, and a drug addict. His audience are just goof balls. So who cares what he says. I'll bet his typical listener barely has a HS diploma, proably below national standards, and would score low on any form of intelligence measuring one could chose, from the good old IQ test to life accomplishment to anything.

The kind of people who rip Prius tend to be ********, who think the bigger hunk of steel they drive, and the lower the gas milage the better. The type of reject who hates anything new or foreign.

If Limbaugh could take his people and form their own country, they'd kill themselves in no time. One big Darwin award.

BTW: while Limbaugh is often hyped, the news landscape is so fractured that nobody has much market share. Keep in mind Limbaugh's national market is still a tiny fraction of the overall nation. Both NPR and PBS have much larger markets as individual channels, and much higher respectability among the general populace. Those are facts.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fishlips wrote:"...he's right when he says they dont save any money.. dont know how you can argue that point."
*My 96 Chev Blazer gas bill ran about $150 a month ( I liked that old bird but it was tired after 10 years)
*My Prius gas bill runs about $50 a month.
*Prius is exempt from CA smog inspection. That's about $60 plus a giant pain in the butt.
* Insurance is about the same as my 10 y/o truck.
* 18 month depreciation less than 10%. Try that with ANY other new car.
* $2000 Income tax deduction last year.
* Except oil/filters..Zero maintenance expense in 18 months.
** My grandchildren all want to ride with me in the "Magic Car" with the moving map. Priceless.
Try the math again. I'm sure you'll get it... sooner or later.
Hey..it's just car..nothing more. Expecting perfection on 4 wheels is foolish.

·
Registered
425 Posts
fish_antlers said:
he's right when he says they dont save any money.. dont know how you can argue that point.
I save with my prius, but here we pay 2.20 euros a litre for fuel, whats that about 6 or 7 usd/ gallon? My average is about 5ltr/100km, compared with about 8ltr/100km for my old MR2 and 14ltr/100km for my old SUV.

So at 25Tkm/year I now spend about EUR 1250/ year, compared to 2000 for the MR2 or 3500 for the SUV. The "Hybrid primium" was about 2000 euro. Compared to the SUV I saved the difference in the first year, compared to the MR2 by the middle of the second year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have good friends who hail from all points on the political spectrum; many of whom do own a Prius. It does not matter with what party you identify, in order to be a responsible citizen of the world. :wink:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I paid cash for my Prii and that cost is 19.5K after the tax rebate. I drive over 800 miles a week. Had a Corolla S before the Prii. It got around 32 MPG. Prii is over 50 MPG every tank.

So figuring I have to have a car anyway that pretty much nullifies the 19.5K price (anything that cost less is more than likely crap anyway). Gas costs savings is 9 times the current gas price per 800 miles.

So if fishy boy says it doesn't save money then eh....maybe his math is different than mine :roll:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
HIVOLTAGE said:
Well I paid cash for my Prii and that cost is 19.5K after the tax rebate. I drive over 800 miles a week. Had a Corolla S before the Prii. It got around 32 MPG. Prii is over 50 MPG every tank.

So figuring I have to have a car anyway that pretty much nullifies the 19.5K price (anything that cost less is more than likely crap anyway). Gas costs savings is 9 times the current gas price per 800 miles.

So if fishy boy says it doesn't save money then eh....maybe his math is different than mine :roll:
Your logic is sound and you are right, it is different math. That math isn't entirely bogus either. When you take a car such as the Civic, where a hybrid and a non-hybrid version exist, the hybrid costs several thousand dollars more. It takes a very long time to make up the difference in the purchase price with savings in gas.

For the Prius, it is a bit different, since there is no non-hybrid version, we tend to compare the car to other cars in its "class", which means some fuzzy comparison on price and features. Most Prius owners are very happy with this comparison and I am one of them. We definitely save fuel and, compared to other cars we may have purchased, save money too, as those cars would have cost more and/or had much worse fuel economy. The comparison that fish and Rush are doing is a hypothetical one where they are comparing against what a non-hybrid Prius would be if it say had the engine of a Toyota Echo in it. It would probably cost much less and have fuel economy that was very good but not quite as good as the Prius. In that comparison, it would take very long to make up the difference with fuel savings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Niomeka said:
Well, Limbaugh is an idiot, a liar, a hypocrtie, and a drug addict. His audience are just goof balls. So who cares what he says. I'll bet his typical listener barely has a HS diploma, proably below national standards, and would score low on any form of intelligence measuring one could chose, from the good old IQ test to life accomplishment to anything.

The kind of people who rip Prius tend to be ********, who think the bigger hunk of steel they drive, and the lower the gas milage the better. The type of reject who hates anything new or foreign.

If Limbaugh could take his people and form their own country, they'd kill themselves in no time. One big Darwin award.

BTW: while Limbaugh is often hyped, the news landscape is so fractured that nobody has much market share. Keep in mind Limbaugh's national market is still a tiny fraction of the overall nation. Both NPR and PBS have much larger markets as individual channels, and much higher respectability among the general populace. Those are facts.
Right On!!! :twisted:

But you forgot to mention that Lush Rambough is also low life chickenhawk. Got out of Nam because of a boil on his a**, but was all for the war (so long as someone else did the fighting and dying). A bit like the present executive branch of our government, or most of Lush's listeners for that matter, what do they call themselves? Oh ya dodoheads.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess my problem with Rush's logic is:

Where are you going to buy a car for 12000 dollars ( new with cruise, power windows and all the other stuff). He says your spending 9500 more for the Prius than it should cost.

My other problem is how he bragged about his car. Only four hundred made. It seemed to me like he was bragging anyway.

He also said, if you don't use the extra gas someone else will? Someone else will consume more gas because I own a Prius, what is he talking about? I was disappointed because he is right most of the time. Lately he has said some things without thinking them through, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, at Toyota of Melbourne there are 3 Prius on the lot... Says right on the sticker that they are marked up $4,999 (and don't forget 7% sales tax) for "Market Conditions"

If you're going to base your price war on what dealers are charging vs. some other car that's not marked up... you'll never make up the difference.

On the other hand at over $1000 /yr in gas savings. I, having got mine at MSRP will break even in my 3rd year of ownership. I owned my last car for about 7 years... I'll come out ahead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 05 Prius for 2 weeks until the dealership called me with crap talking about the finance. Anyways I drive an 05 Ford F150. Its way cheaper for me to own my truck plus gas then drive the prius plus the money i spent on gas. The car is a nifty car but its jsut a car you own becuase you want it. Not because of the other stuff people talk about. Heck my numbers for my truck are 398 note + about 45 a week in gas. That total is less then I would of had to pay for the Prius monthly. Honestly I dont know what I was thinking purchasing it. I rather my truck since my family has a farm, I hunt, and do other manly things. imo i rather this any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I am amazed one would be considering either a truck or a Prius--the two vehicles couldn't be more different, and that has nothing to do with the hybrid system.

For those looking for a small-to-midsize passenger car, the Prius us a good candidate, though not ideal for all.

The Prius makes a very bad truck.
;-)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a 05 Prius for 2 weeks until the dealership called me with crap talking about the finance. Anyways I drive an 05 Ford F150. Its way cheaper for me to own my truck plus gas then drive the prius plus the money i spent on gas. The car is a nifty car but its jsut a car you own becuase you want it. Not because of the other stuff people talk about. Heck my numbers for my truck are 398 note + about 45 a week in gas. That total is less then I would of had to pay for the Prius monthly. Honestly I dont know what I was thinking purchasing it. I rather my truck since my family has a farm, I hunt, and do other manly things. imo i rather this any day of the week.

What if you throw in the fact that my prius, after 18 mos of ownership, and 25,000 miles, could be sold for nearly what I paid for it. Versus the depreciation of the 150? Maint? Insurance? Tires?

wait till gas hits $3+ again

and no one said it made sense for evey one

Spike << can commute to work for 4 weeks on about $45 worth of gas ;-)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts