Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Periodically the color of the bars on the battery display turn YELLOW !!
This sometimes happen when starting the car after standing overnight, but it also happens while driving. When this happens all normal indications continue to take place: charging, feeding electric motor, etc. When it shows yellow all bars are yellow except a narrow band at top.

I asked my dealer who contacted Toyota who advised that "yellow is not an option" !!!!!! Only blue , green and red.

Note that blue and yellow together would yield green. I wonder if that's what it is trying to show? What do green and red indicate?

I have a Prius 2006, about 1000 miles and every thing has been fine. Typically averaging mid-fifties MPG at speeds from 30 to 65, including hills and dales.

What does yellow indicate, and if trouble, what to do except take to dealer who obviously does not have a clue?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have to agree with Toyota, yellow is not a color displayed with the battery. At least it's not publicised in any documentation, and nobody else has claimed this. Can you post pictures of all 4 colored states? (not in one picture of course)

Now there are energy flow arrows that are yellow, ruddy and green. Perhaps you are referring to those? Yellow indicates electrical energy flowing from the battery to the wheels, or from the ICE/generator to the battery, or even from the ICE/generator directly to the wheels without going to/from the battery. Ruddy is mechanical energy flowing from ICE to the wheels. Green is electrical energy flowing from the wheels via the generator to the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super prompt reply.
I'm definitely talking about the BATTERY, not the arrows, etc.
I'll try to photograph a yellow battery when it occurs and send a photo along for verification. May take a while to catch it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is this when edeng finds outs he/she is color blind?! I'm joking of course. but yeah.. I have a 2006 and I only ever seen green blue purple.. (I think its purple.. I haven't watched the battery colors in awhile)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yellow Battery Display

This is my second attempt to forward photos of the yellow battery display. System would not accept a second attachment and then refused to submit my reply at all.

This morning started car and battery color was yellow. I put car in drive and moved it a little in my driveway and battery turned blue. The attached (I hope) photos show that I am not color blind :shock: !!!

Could not drive around waiting for it to turn yellow and try to take a photo.
I have never seen a green or a purple colored battery display.

Now how is best way to research this phenomenom?

NOTE: Still unable to add second blue attachment. Will send in separate message, I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
From what I see, the battery SOC is blank! All white. I see no yellow in the picture, except in the tint of the clock display.

In ACC mode, the battery SOC display will be blank. The correct SOC should show up in Ig-On and READY.

I just thought of something however. I noticed lately that for a few seconds to a minute, the MFD is not showing any total miles on the tank, and I think it may not have shown the average MPG. What may be happening here is that the MFD had not gotten a report back from the combination meter, or it hadn't initialized yet.
In order to obtain SOC, the MFD has to get a report from the battery ECU. The Battery ECU is connected to the CAN network, and the MFD is connected to the AVC network. Those two networks, as well as the BEAN (body electronics network) are connected together through the gateway ECU so that they can communicate with each other.
Now on startup, there's a lot of talk going on on the networks, so getting info to the MFD (or the MFD getting info from other sources) is a very low priority. So there may be a noticable delay before the MFD has the data we are customed to seeing, including the SOC.

I am usually in the consumption screen, but I will put the MFD to the energy screen before I shut down so that I will see the initial state of the screen when I start up.

Also I have to go by the older screen. The better packages of 2006 have an enhanced screen and graphics, so a null battery may have a different background color than I am accustomed to see.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm telling you it is white. Do you actually see yellow in the photop? Because I don't. It certainly is not the color of the arrows in the second picture. That is clearly yellow, with the arrow to the battery a bit brighter yellow than the one from the ICE to the MG. If you are seeing yellow, you may actually have a color blindness.

Maybe try a photo without the flash. Perhaps that will make it more evident, because as it is now, it shows white.

Anyone else seeing yellow in the battery SOC indicator?

·
Registered
17 Posts
edeng said:
DanMan,

I assure you the battery color is yellow ! Compare to the engine and other objects.
The picture that you claim to have a yellow battery display is what the Energy Screen looks like when you are in Accessory Mode. This is the mode you get to when you press the Power button once without you foot on the brake. In this mode, the battery shows no bars. Another characteristic of the Accessory Mode is that the OUTSIDE TEMP value is blank.

Personally I don't see any "yellow" in the battery area. When I compare it to your "Blue Battery" picture, the color of the battery area is the same as the color of the empty "white" area above the 6 blue bars.

If you are getting a screen like this (no bars and no OUTSIDE TEMP value) when you are driving, then there is indeed something wrong with your Prius.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Marlin said:
If you are getting a screen like this (no bars and no OUTSIDE TEMP value) when you are driving, then there is indeed something wrong with your Prius.
Or it's simply a delay in getting the initial info, as I described above.
Remember, even the AVC components have to set up, which can keep the AVC network busy. For example, the HU has to poll if you have a DVD, a NAV, a JBL amp, a SAT receiver, etc. Then all these items have to be initialized, such as setting the correct volume, fade, balance, treble, base, etc. Lots of chatter there.
Then of course the device the MFD is requesting info from may also be busy, or the network the device is on could be busy.
The BEAN handles vehicle power management including the immobilizer. The HV ECU, located on the CAN, authenticates to the immobilizer a 2nd time when moving from IG-2 not READY to full READY mode. Of course the drivetrain, including and especially the hybrid components, have to have a conversation to set up shop. A request from the MFD for data is not a main priority at this point. Getting the car functional is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Marlin said:
Or it's simply a delay in getting the initial info, as I described above.
Yet the OP said:
edeng said:
This sometimes happen when starting the car after standing overnight, but it also happens while driving. When this happens all normal indications continue to take place: charging, feeding electric motor, etc. When it shows yellow all bars are yellow except a narrow band at top.
The fact that the OP singled out "driving" from "starting" implied to me that it occurred at times other than within seconds of starting the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yellow Battery Display

It seems I need some education. What do the acronyns SOC, ECU, CAN and MFD mean. Needed to undertand DanMan's message.

Photos were taken with engine system started, as verified when I put car in drive as well as reverse and car moved a little in driveway. I was not in Accessory mode. Since the car was not moving the MPG had to be zero. External temperature shows on screen at upper right. The system was in this condition for well over 15 minutes as I took a number of photos. Also, as far as I know, the flash was not on. At least I did not see it. Furthermore, as indicated previously, last week end on a 400 mile trip he battery frequently turned yellow while driving at 50-60 MPH.

I will take some more photos and try to get better contrast for those of you who see the battery as white. Again, it is a distinct yellow and my wife confirms. Compare the color to that of the engine, electric motor, wheels, etc.

I appreciate the interesting comments and hope I learn enough to understand DanMan who must live under the front hood of his Prius!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You are right. If it is occuring during driving, the MFD is losing communications with the battery ECU. Hopefully nothing else is, though if that were the case, a DTC should have been thrown.

My hunch is a bad MFD, but there are other possibilities. Note any other missing info, such as the outside temp, and any missing from the consumption screen at the time of failure. However, even if the MFD is showing these things, it may have the data cached until the next update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Yellow Battery Display

edeng said:
Photos were taken with engine system started, as verified when I put car in drive as well as reverse and car moved a little in driveway. I was not in Accessory mode. Since the car was not moving the MPG had to be zero. External temperature shows on screen at upper right. The system was in this condition for well over 15 minutes as I took a number of photos.
In your picture titled "Prius - Yellow Battery Monitor.jpg" the OUTSIDE TEMP is blank, yet your post says "External temperature shows on screen at upper right." So... when this condition occurs, is the OUTSIDE TEMP value displayed, or not?

As far as what to tell the dealer... Try putting the car in Accessory Mode and see if what you see resembles the condition we've been discussing. If it does, then use that to describe it to the dealer. Don't say "Yellow Bars", because when you do, everyone thinks of the picture I attached, which is clearly not what you see.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yellow Battery Display

Sorry. :oops: The foto with the blue battery does show the outside temperature. I didn't notice it was missing from the one with the YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW :) battery !

It is unfortunate that the foto as trasmitted loses some color. I can only assure everyone that in real life that battery is a good, sound yellow, and my wife agrees. When it is, the very top bar is white, giving good contrast. All the rest are, yes, yellow :wink:

Will try to get better fotos tomorrow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yellow Battery Display

Marlin,

In your 1:35 post today, how did you get a better yellow color on the battery foto? That looks more like the picture I see in my post on my screen. You indicat yours is fake?

I also see the arrows showing energy going to the battery, just like I see when it happens while driving. At other times it shows energy going from the yellow battery to the electric motor as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts

edeng said:
It seems I need some education. What do the acronyns SOC, ECU, CAN and MFD mean. Needed to undertand DanMan's message.

Photos were taken with engine system started, as verified when I put car in drive as well as reverse and car moved a little in driveway. I was not in Accessory mode. Since the car was not moving the MPG had to be zero. External temperature shows on screen at upper right. The system was in this condition for well over 15 minutes as I took a number of photos. Also, as far as I know, the flash was not on. At least I did not see it. Furthermore, as indicated previously, last week end on a 400 mile trip he battery frequently turned yellow while driving at 50-60 MPH.

I will take some more photos and try to get better contrast for those of you who see the battery as white. Again, it is a distinct yellow and my wife confirms. Compare the color to that of the engine, electric motor, wheels, etc.

I appreciate the interesting comments and hope I learn enough to understand DanMan who must live under the front hood of his Prius!
SOC means State Of Charge of the traction battery (aka the High Voltage battery, aka the big one in the back).
ECU means Engine Control (Computer?) Unit.
CAN means Controller Area Network. It's what all the little computers in the car talk to eachother via, well, mostly..
MFD means MultiFunctional Display. It's the screen in the middle of the car where your Nav system displays, the Energy/Consumption screens, audio controls, etc. And it is what apparently is displaying Yellow instead of Green for the Battery SOC.

What would help is knowing how many yellow bars are showing when you see them. For example, your picture of the blue bars shows 6 blue bars. If you are seeing 7 or 8 yellow bars, that would indicate a fully charged battery. On my Prius, when I have 7 or 8 bars, I see the color as green. And I usually get that after I have driven down a hill and gotten lots of regeneration braking in, though sometimes I see it when pulling into work after getting off of the freeway.

Have you played with the brightness and contrast controls of the display? Those can have an affect on how colors show up on the display, or at least do on the 2005 that I have. I've managed to make the ruddy/red arrows appear orange, and the yellow arrows appear really pale when futzing with the brightness/contrast controls. So either the display settings are wonky in your Prius, or you simply have a bad display (MFD) that isn't showing green properly for the battery display.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Correction.
CAN - Network for hybrid drivetrain. There are 2 other netorks in the car:
BEAN - for the body electronics (dash, power control, door locks, etc)
AVC - for the audio/visual electronics, including the MFD.

I am sure that Marlin took your photo with the blue bars, and did a FILL of yellow to change each blue bar to yellow, then reposted.

If there is indeed yellow in your situation, it must be a really pale yellow, or it happens to be the right color that the camera is blind to, just as chemical film photography is blind to a certain shade of blue.

·
Registered
17 Posts

edeng said:
Marlin,

In your 1:35 post today, how did you get a better yellow color on the battery foto? That looks more like the picture I see in my post on my screen. You indicat yours is fake?
You've got to be pulling my leg.

I made mine using Adobe Photoshop by drawing yellow rectangles over the blue rectangles of your Blue Battery picture.

Here is a composite picture of the battery images from all three pictures: your "Yellow Battery" picture, your "Blue Battery" picture, and my "Fake Yellow Battery" picture.

Do you really see anything resembling bars of any color in the left most battery image? I only see a solid color (at least as solid as a jpeg from a digital camera will be) that very strongly resembles the color of the space above the 6 blue bars in the "Blue Battery" image.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.