Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the call that a Tideland pkg. 7 was mine for the asking. I was waiting for a Salsa pkg. 4 but this will do just fine! To be delivered at the dealer this Friday....WOOHOO! Been waiting on the list since Christmas Eve and now next Friday is Christmas!

In the meantime I'm planning to scour this and the other sites for break-in info. All suggestions are welcomed.

BTW, they sold a TRAC (silver, pkg.1) with 1400 miles on it just the week before for the same price of this new one w/ pkg. 7 (MSRP). Of course they offered the TRAC to me but I laughed and said no thanks. My dealer rep was almost embarrassed to offer it to me with that kind of markup but he is down the food chain and was just making sure it wasn't something I'd be interested in. I told him earlier that I would be interested but not at a premium markup. Good things come to those that wait.........

One more time........WOOOOHOOOO!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
RE

Congratulations! We have had our Silver #7 for about three weeks now. As far as suggestions:

Break in is covered in your manual. I followed the instructions and had no problems. Do not use hard braking for the first 200 miles except in emergency situations and don't drive it all out and take it easy for the first 600 miles.

Read the manual. Then re-read the manual. I had my car for over two weeks and had trouble keeping a box of tissues on the floorboard hump between the driver and the passenger. As it turns out, there is a sliding tray that is located at the bottom of the console that a small box of tissues fits in perfectly. I thought I had read everything but obviously not.

This car is a driving experience. It is fun. When you first sit in it you realize it's going to be different. It is very different in a wonderful way. I actually look for places to go so I can drive it.

I bought the car out of state and when I returned to my home state I had to go to the dealership and get it inspected. I was at a Toyota dealership and the young man who was performing the task didn't know how to start it nor did he know how to get it in gear. Again, this was at a Toyota dealership (and a fairly large one)! The point is: Before you let someone even touch it, be sure they are familiar with the car. Ask them how they plan to start it and shift it. If they can't or won't tell you, thank them and go somewhere else.

Oh yeah, you may have a tendency to take your car to the dealership and have the fuel gauge checked. (mine registered full for the first 155 miles and I thought it was broken LOL). Getting well over 50 mpg caused this!!

Enjoy your new car!!

Stan
2004 Millennium Silver #7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Stan, for the great suggestions. I went to the files area on priuschat.com and found the manual but noticed the admin on that site had removed the links while waiting for Toyota's approval.....that was in January. Any other ideas for securing it online?

·
Registered
52 Posts
RE

I don't have a clue as to how to obtain an online manual. If there is one available I can assure you that someone who is in this forum will know where and how you can get one. These guys have been incredible. They know just about everything there is to know about a Prius. As for me, I'm like you, just learning.

There are some things you should check on when accepting delivery of your Prius. Have the salesperson go with you on a drive to explain everything to you. My salesperson didn't know very much about it and couldn't answer many of my questions, but it still was helpful and self assuring to have them along with me on my initial drive.

A few things: You can't start the Prius without having your foot on the brake while pressing the start button. When started properly, you will see a "ready" light on the display (the one with the speed and gear indicators). In order for it to be put into gear, you again have to have your foot on the brake. The indicator will let you know what gear it's in by showing a square box around the designated gear display. When you turn off the vehicle you should first press the Park button. I don't know why but I've seen it written in this forum. I did turn it off without first pressing the park button once and I noticed it automatically put itself in park so I don't know if this is a necessity or not. When you first start off with a cold motor, it will start and run for a few minutes in order to heat up certain elements that are necessary to economical runs. You will get terrible mileage during this period so avoid cold starts as much as possible. This is not a requirement as I am consistently getting 50+ mpg with cold starts included. I would advise you to not try make any adjustments using the main display screen while driving. If you find it necessary to make changes, pull it off the road first.

Don't panic if the fuel gauge starts blinking at you and warning you of doom. In my case, I stilll have over 3 gallons of fuel when this warning is given. The fuel gauge is notoriously wrong and, in my case, not even consistent. Use mileage as the measure for timing your refueling. Toyota has done their homework. I find that I get the same mileage whether I'm driving carefully or like I would normally drive. The car does it's thing via computer instructions. Oh yeah, my car makes a whirring noise after I shut it down. I found this is due to a normal function of the water pump or something like that. It's even thinking when you've turned it off!!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I don't know much about it but maybe I can help a bit.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
manual

on a high-speed network connection, for $10 for a 1 day access you can download as many manuals/TSBs as you like for Toyota/Lexus/Scion products from: http://techinfo.toyota.com/

that's far cheaper than buying the paper bound repair manuals, wiring diagrams, owner's manuals, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Michelle.
I've got a cable link so I think that's just what I'll do. BTW, I really appreciate your posts on all the boards....you are a wealth of knowledge.
Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts