Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's what's preventing me from hooking up with XM Satellite:

1) Prius unit runs around $400 from Costal Dave. Cannot be used in the house or at work.

2) A second unit for house or work or boombox would run me another $200. And that's just the head-unit. If I want the actual boom-box or other type of device, that's more money.

3) Unit from Costal Dave + home unit would run me double the subscription fee. An alternative would be to just get "XM Radio Online", but I already have Music Match radio, which I like just fine.

4) I've heard about these "reception problems" from the "free radio" commercials and from somebody who used to have XM. This is disconcerting to me, but I don't know how often this happens.

So what say you all? Do you have other reasons that you're holding off, or do you think that one or more of my reasons above is/are non-issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
BIF, as I recall, you are in Central Florida... want to hook up so you can see/hear it for yourself?

I now have 2 XM receivers, In my Saturn I had the 1st generation Delphi SkyFi, and now I've got the Coastal kit in my Prius.

For both units, I lose reception in three places.

1. At home, when either car is pulled fully into our garage
2. At work, when I'm parked in the parking garage
3. Under the middle bridge on the ramp when changing from 417 S to 528 E.

Everywhere else, the reception is clear and stable.

For the Delphi, I've got the boom-box, the car unit in my Saturn, and a home unit. These days the receiver spends most of it's time in the home unit, as my Saturn is slowly being covered with cobwebs.

The only thing the Coastal unit has over the Delphi is the integration with the MFD. The Delphi shows more text (music title and artist), has potentially 2 more preset stations, and is generally easier to navigate from station to station if you don't want a preset.

The main drawback for the Delphi is that it requires an RF-modulator or one of those cassette converters. There is a loss of quality in the RF conversion (didn't have cassette so I dunno about that)...not much, but enough to hear when you're going slow and it's not drowed out by car noise.

If you plan to have a house installation, be sure you can face the antenna out a south-facing window, or mount it outside like I did. That will help keep reception strong even in the worst of storms.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
XM is the only game in town right now for the Prius

From newer info, the XM kit is now only $299 from Coastal. AFAIK, subscription service drops to $7/mo for a second unit and a discount is available for anything from a month free (from Toyota) to half price for a year (from GM sources). I wish Sirius were more popular or a viable Prius choice. It may be after Ford rolls out its availability in several models, but $13/mo will not compete against XM. However the $500 for life subscription Sirius has until the end of the year is tempting, too bad XM doesn't offer a lifetime subscription or I would bite. I'll be reviewing the installation DVD I bought from Jon this week and installing 2 XM kits this weekend.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bill in NC
'04 Black BC
'04 White BC

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I have seen others ask this question, but I am not sure I understood the answers.

If I buy and install the unit from coastal dave, will it void my warranty?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sirius offers the $499.99 subscription for the life of your radio, not for lifetime. I'm guessing the radio will last about 4-5 years.

Anyway, I am a big Stern fan, but it seems that XM is the only option with the Prius, unless I go with a PnP unit.

The PnP's seem okay, but the boombox options aren't very good. I've read plenty of reviews where the signal isn't good. The internet option with Sirius is only with their 65 music channels and they might move the rest of their channels to the internet as well, but that is up in the air. If they could guarantee that I could get Stern on the internet, then I'd signup by the end of the year.

Right now it seems that XM is more advanced on the equipment they offer, but Sirus has Stern, and Stern will generate TONS of revenue for Sirius. I sure hope Sirius gets it's act together and offers more equipment choices...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ssmithri said:
I think I have seen others ask this question, but I am not sure I understood the answers.

If I buy and install the unit from coastal dave, will it void my warranty?
Goodness No!

Now, if you did something stupid during install like cutting wires or damaging the ECU or you shorted the car out by not disconnecting the 12v during installation then those kinds of damage, of course, wouldn't be covered. But installing the XM kit will not void or affect your warranty any more than putting a bumper sticker on your car would.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, folks! I haven't forgotten you, I've just been very busy. I see some prices may have come down. I will be sure to check the XM website and I'll keep you posted...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts