Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere a statement that the antenna for the gps system is just under the dashboard.

Assuming that's true, how much "extra" room is there, if any... E.g., could a "home" XM radio antenna (one that doesn't the roof as a ground plane) be stuck in there?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I read a post (maybe not the same one) saying something about back under the dash B U T I'm not at all sure about that as it could be a poor location for a GPS ant IMHO if there wasn't a pretty clear path from it to the windshield so it can "see" satellites. It would need to be near the top of the dash (only plastic between it and the windshield) so as to not be shielded by wires and other stuff. A better location would be the "stalk" that supports the rearview mirror. A sat radio ant could probably be added near the top of the windshield on the inside. Maybe an adhesive backed ribbon or a fine wire glued near the top of the windshield. I would search the market place to see if there are that type of antennas for sat radio. These used to be available for other radios from aftermarket suppliers.

:D Pat :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts