Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does XM work with a base radio (non-JBL) that has the add-on 6-disc changer below it (in the pocket thing with the plastic clear door)?

I've a 2004 and we just ordered another (probably going to be a 2005). I want to move the add-on changer over to the new 2005, and add XM radio to it, leaving an iPod solution open to plug into my old 2004.

Both cars are the AM package, so no "upgraded" JBL-radio, etc.

Thanks, I haven't been able to determine if a Y-cable would be needed or even IF a Y-cable exists.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
xm

Well, I'll reply to my own post...won't be the 1st time I've talked to myself!

Any ideas on the XM working with the add-on changer? Is there a Y-cable that is needed?

I've just ordered the PAC Aux-Pod and an AB-TOY cable and an AB-TOYT cable from an ebay store. Can't wait to try it with my 4G iPod. I'll be posting results at the end of the week.

The XM question is for our Prius that isn't here yet, FWIW.

Thanks to any who might know this answer!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: xm

finman said:
Well, I'll reply to my own post...won't be the 1st time I've talked to myself!

Any ideas on the XM working with the add-on changer? Is there a Y-cable that is needed?

I've just ordered the PAC Aux-Pod and an AB-TOY cable and an AB-TOYT cable from an ebay store. Can't wait to try it with my 4G iPod. I'll be posting results at the end of the week.

The XM question is for our Prius that isn't here yet, FWIW.

Thanks to any who might know this answer!
An XM should work with an external CD changer, though you may have to find or make the proper harness. Your IPod adapter probably will NOT work, as it emulates the changer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XM...

Cool. Thanks DanMan. I kinda thought the XM and external add-on changer would be "recognized" as different devices...now to find a y-cable thing...hmmm.

Yeah, I kinda gathered that an iPod and an add-on changer wouldn't work, since they both would be identified as "changers". The plan is iPod in mine and then my old add-on changer and XM in hers.

Maybe that y-cable AB-TOY is the one I need? Apparently the AB-TOYT is an adaptor for the different plug that the newer Toyota radios have, so aux stuff can use the older-designed interface cables. But the AB-TOY cable is something of a y-cable.

Again, why in the world should it be so HARD to interface with the radio? It makes no sense in this world of plug and play. Or maybe that's yet another conspiracy...

·
Registered
1 Posts
xm Radio

Before delivery of my Tideline Pearl 05 I had the dealer install Coastal's XM radio. It is just unbelieveable. Excellent quality through the standard sound system and the graphic interface is exceptionally good. I would recommend this whole heartedly :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's because it is an OEM XM radio. The one you would get at Toyota, though toyota doesn't list it as a valid accessory for the Prius.

So, when Toyota comes out with the Ipod/MP3/Aux accessory, it probably will work with the Prius.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts