Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it is not offered as a factory option now... but I read some Toyota marketing material indicating that XM would be available in April.

Can I buy a Prius now, and then install the integrated XM receiver in April... or do I need to wait and take delivery then?

Secondly... is an integrated Sirius available?

/Jim

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
For a 2004-2005 Prius (not sure yet on the 2006), you can already get factory satellite radio, which will interface with the touch screen and steering wheel controls (and also voice command if equipped).

http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm
price on Nov. 17 2005: $299 with instructions, $349 with installation
price includes free activation and 6 months service

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/PriusXM/
(formerly http://www.priusxm.com/ )
price on Nov. 17 2005: $295 with instructions, $395 with installation, $39 for instruction DVD only (no tuner)

one known Prius-friendly Toyota dealer has posted the installation instructions for the Toyota XM kit, and is offering it for sale here:
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... ortIndex=5
price on Nov. 17 2005: $250
price includes free activation and 90 days of free XM service

your favorite Toyota parts department: ask for the Solara XM radio kit, part number PT546-06040

According to the thread at:
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4964

The Toyota Sirius kit for the Solara also works with the Prius. Part numbers: PTS31-00051 (cable), and PTS31-00050 (Receiver)

http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... ductID=153
price on Nov. 17 2005: $165 for receiver + $80 for fit kit ($245 total)

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/SiriusPrius/
(formerly http://www.siriusprius.com/ or http://www.priussirius.com/ )
price on Nov. 17 2005: $395 with instructions, $495 with installation, $39 for instruction DVD only

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michelle,

Thank you for the info. Just to make sure that I understand properly... if I have one of these installed... does the integration also includes display of programming information (ie: Artist/Title) on the MFD?

Also, I have a slighgt preference for Sirius over XM becasue that is what I am already using in my other car. Does the Sirius integration work as well as the XM integration?

I am close to buying a second Prius for myself (my daughter will be getting one under the xmas tree this year). I would never buy myself another car that did not have satellite radio. It is like Tivo... once you have it... you cannot go back.

Thank you in advance.

/Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
The radio works integrated with the display. Artists and titles are displayed. However, the current model displays only 10 characters of text. I am not completely sure if that limitation is due to the radio unit or the 2004-2005 display, but if you wait until Toyota releases the new units, they should provide 32 characters on each line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsf said:
The radio works integrated with the display. Artists and titles are displayed. However, the current model displays only 10 characters of text. I am not completely sure if that limitation is due to the radio unit or the 2004-2005 display, but if you wait until Toyota releases the new units, they should provide 32 characters on each line.
Do you know if Toyota will be releasing both XM and Sirius? If both, do you know if they will be at the same time.

I will buy either, but if Sirius will be available within 6 months of the XM (which is rumored to be Mar/Apr), then I would probably wait for the Sirius since I am already a customer, and would get better 2nd reciever pricing. Until then... I would make due with an ipod attached to the aux in the center console... or even more likely... I will probably rip a half dozen MP3/WMA disk and get 600+ songs loaded into the changer.

It really makes my skin crawl listening to broadcast commercial radio now that I have moved to a Sirius.

/Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the 2006 owner's manual, only XM is shown, so I guess they will not be releasing a Sirius unit during the 2006 model year.

The owner's manual also states that XM is available only for Type 1 systems, not Types 2 or 3. Type 1 comes with the high end packages, #8 and probably #7 - may be others, not sure. It is possible that the radio would work with all Priuss just as the PriusXM works with the 2004-2005, though not supported by Toyota.

BTW - I don't know the specs or differences among the 3 types of radios, not explained in the manual. The pictures illustrate the AM-SAT button with Type 1, and just AM button with other types. Again, that may not mean the unit would not work with the others, but if you want to be sure, get the Type 1.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jsf said:
In the 2006 owner's manual, only XM is shown, so I guess they will not be releasing a Sirius during the 2006 model year.
I'd bet that the Sirius tuner also works. It does on the 04-05s. It seems that Toyota has a "factory" deal with XM while Sirius is only offered at the dealer level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our two Prii are both option package #8. My understanding is that option #7 and option #8 are the same... except for the leather interior. If I understand what you are saying... the deluxe (NAV) radio may be required to have the XM installed.

Do you know if they will be installing an antenna through the roof... or will they snake a wire through the weatherstrip and use an edge mounted antenna? I would prefer one that is through the roof.

I still prefer getting Sirius over XM because I am already subscribed in my other verhicle. My wife may prefer XM because she is a big baseball fan. I do not think the programming differences are that significant... but the lack of commercials is wonderful.

/Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think with the packages #7 or 8 you should be ok. The button should be labelled AM-SAT not just AM alone. Not to say it won't work with the other, but if you want Toyota to install the new radio, that is required, I think.

I have not seen any info on the antenna installation. Your dealer/installer may be flexible with you on this.

Regarding Sirius versus XM, many different opinions. One difference important to me is the traffic. Both serve approx 21 markets, but with XM each market has its own channel. Unless Sirius has changed, 2 markets share the same channel. If the reports are detailed as they are on XM, you waste a lot of time listening to a market you don't care about.

John

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have XM. It was put in by the dealer.

It has only 10 characters of text.

The antenna fits nicely behind the AM/FM one.

The touch screen works with the system, the voice commands work.

The only 'bummer' that I see, and it's a small one, is that the radio face on the dash does not have a 'sat' button. You just have to know it's part of the AM button.

But that is a small detail to worry about.

Oh, and I am not sure why, but my dealer put the XM tuner in the back left hand hidey hole. This is back around the trunk, left side. No big deal, but it does take up that space if you want to use it for something else.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am sure you could relocate it under the subhatch with sticky tape or velcro. There's already modules under there for SKS.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Oh, and I am not sure why, but my dealer put the XM tuner in the back left hand hidey hole. This is back around the trunk, left side. No big deal, but it does take up that space if you want to use it for something else.
That is interesting because I believe that the Factory Interactive instructions have the tuner unit installed under the dash with the rest of the radio. Apparently there is some space under the dash in which the tuner can live.

As for functionality, whether XM or Sirius the features offered through the MFD and the steering wheel buttons remains nearly identical.

So, if you like Sirius, stick with it and get the tuner unit for the vehicle.

Also, it doesn't matter if you have the highest end stereo or the lowest end stereo, the wiring harness is there to handle the "aux input" from the satellite tuner. Keep in mind that the after market XM and Sirius tuners that are on sale right now are basically designed for the Solara, however they work on the Prius because the radio head unit is nearly identical.

·
Registered
393 Posts
jeromep said:
TJandGENESIS said:
That is interesting because I believe that the Factory Interactive instructions have the tuner unit installed under the dash with the rest of the radio. Apparently there is some space under the dash in which the tuner can live. Keep in mind that the after market XM and Sirius tuners that are on sale right now are basically designed for the Solara, however they work on the Prius because the radio head unit is nearly identical.
Which is why they told me that the tuner had to go in the trunk...short antenna wire.

Sounds fishy to me, but I did not really care. As long as it works, which it does.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The tuner goes in the hatch area, as everyone who has an aftermarket OEM unit has attested to. I thought that was wrong, but I was corrected. I even heard there was space under the back seat.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm going to install the Solara Sirius setup next week. I don't know what antenna comes with it, but it seems this affects where I put the unit, given the cable length issues. Anyone have advice on location? I'm also considering going stealth with another antenna that fits inside the rear spoiler, but I haven't ordered it yet. I'll take photos if I succeed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts