Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you own a Prius if the gas mileage was ..sayy..around 25 MPG..? Everything else the same, low emisions..etc.. IOW, do you just enjoy driving THE CAR..?
I would/I do ..Maybe for a little less MSRP than the Hybrid price.. but I think it's a great car for everything I need from my wheels. I had a big $ luxury sedan before the Prius and don't miss it a bit..
My Prius is fully equipped. I think the JBL sound system is more than adequate..(yeah.. I know..it's not a Bose.) The Climate Control works well and with the GPS I'm never lost. The seating is fine with me.. the default position just fits my 5-10 165# frame. It has a great (small) turning radius and is easy to park. (I never mistake it for anything else in the parking lot.) I rarely find myself wanting (needing) more power and 90 MPH cruise is fast enough. My previous dream boat would go 130+..or say they said... I never tested it. My reflexes have 90 MPH redline.
I like it even more now that I got that #$%* reverse beeper shut off..thanks to this group. Your thoughts..?

·
Registered
261 Posts
nope, at that MPG point I'd rather have my wife's accord, which cost less, has NAV, heated seats, better stereo, and all-around is a better-finished and more solid and quiet car.

rob

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
probably not. As stated, at that price point and mpg range there are better vehicles as far as ride comfort, proven quality, etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOULD YOU OWN A PRIUS IF....

Geeeshh .... I feel all alone out here.... JD

·
Registered
261 Posts
don't get me wrong...I love my Prius...at 35 MPG I'd still be in. There are cars out there like the Civic and Echo that can get close to 35 MPG, and I wouldn't own those tin boxes. (Well, maybe a Civic.) Gotta relish the emissions savings as well; it's not totally about the MPG for me. Love the gizmoes (SKS, etc.) and the futuristic dash too.

My wife got a job after she got the accord and now drives more, so she is probably going to swap the accord for a prius!

rpm

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, 25 mpg is pretty low, considering most of us get twice that. I would still own it though. Im with rpm on the SKS and futureistic dash and just everything else. Love the look of the car, awesome interior room, plenty of room, great handling, stealth.....can go on and on!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to say I would have kept my 02 Chevy Venture

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Probably not. It has to come in a package. It has to have super low emissions AND great fuel economy AND cool gadgets. It's a triangle. Remove one of them and the Prius is less enticing. For 25mpg, I'd use our 02 Camry XLE Pkg "B".

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, I agree that it's a package deal: mileage and greenness go together for me.

BTW, I'd take JBL over the overpriced, overhyped Bose stuff any day.

Jan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even thought I don't have mine yet, I would have to say no. In shopping my other choices were a Honda CRV, Element, Accord, and Camry LE. They all get comparable mileage. The ride in the Camry was fabulous, but I liked the cargo capacity of the CRV and Element. I'm getting most of what I need in that in the Prius. I also like the technical goodies and I'm going to be coming from a Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 454 engine. Anything would be better, but we towed a trailer with it. Have sold the trailer and are looking forward to the Prius and being about to drive again. The Sub is costing us $60 a fill, but we drive it so little now, it's only about once a month. Should have mine next week, and I can hardly wait.

Ann

·
Registered
298 Posts
At 25MPG, I'd be hard pressed to purchase the car. I think the pice would be too steep for what your are getting. If the price were lower, then yes, I would still own the Prius. I like going 10 days between fillups and almost 500 miles!

·
Registered
41 Posts
No way, most definitely not!
I gave up my beloved MINI Cooper S mostly because it only got 25 mpg, while I average about 45-46 in my Prius. However, in my MINI I used to get about 50 smiles per gallon, whereas in my Prius I only average about 25 smiles per gallon.
At 25 mpg, I'd go back to the MINI, while I love the Prius, the MINI was
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
much more fun to drive!

·
Registered
121 Posts
No.

I would have bought a Honda Insight or a Honda Civic Hybrid.

Probably the Insight. I wanted the best mileage and lowest emissions and it's the closest to the Prius. I had a two door coupe with lousy trunk space. I would have adjusted. And continued to borrow my Dad's truck whenever I had to buy something big at Home Depot.

However, since there is the Prius, and it does get 50+ mpg (54.6 on my tank right now and I just passed the 500 mark on the trip!) I have the best of all worlds. High mpg, low emissions, room for five and cargo space. I just love my hatchback!

And yes, I'll buy another Prius when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts