Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Like most folks - I just can't say enough good about this car! Even learning the new habits (like - how to live without a tachometer, and so on) have come easy.... One nagging question though I've not yet found a way to put to rest, and I'm wondering if anybody has any insights on this one (haven't seen it addressed yet, or maybe just missed it - in which case direction towards further reading will also be appreciated!)

In ordinary cars, there's a temp gauge for the engine... living near the desert, and in a very hot climate, along with a couple too many experiences with a leaky radiator in my past, I've always kept an eagle eye on that particular gizmo.... but the 2004 Prius doesn't have one! ... Now - I KNOW about keeping the vent for the battery in the side of the back seat clear so IT doesn't overheat --- but do we also need to continue being aware of the engine temp and radiator up front?? If so - how does one do that??

Many thanks in advance! Jan

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
well, you can't monitor it, but....

there is a warning light in the dash, it looks like a thermometer inside some liquid (ie thermometer icon "submerged" under 2 wavy lines). it is red, and only goes on when the engine is hot. therefore, you can't see the temperature rising, but only when it has reached a high point. too lazy to look it up in the manual, but I think Toyota's suggestion is to pull over asap after this light goes on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: well, you can't monitor it, but....

lensovet said:
there is a warning light in the dash, it looks like a thermometer inside some liquid (ie thermometer icon "submerged" under 2 wavy lines). it is red, and only goes on when the engine is hot. therefore, you can't see the temperature rising, but only when it has reached a high point. too lazy to look it up in the manual, but I think Toyota's suggestion is to pull over asap after this light goes on.
unless there's a SECOND temp light on the dash, the only one I've ever seen is when it's below, I believe 37 degrees outside. I was driving to Seattle in march and we went through Mount Shasta in northern Cali and at first I swear to god it looked like a radiation symbol. I woke my friend up, started freaking out and thought it detected a nuke or something...lol (I had no sleep and drove for 10 hours straight, gimme a break) :)

But is there a second one for HIGH ENGINE temps? And even if there is, and it comes on, does this mean it MAY overheat soon, does it mean it IS overheating, does it mean you JUST BLEW the radiator?

·
Registered
26 Posts
yes, there are two, on the classic

bradca21 said:
drove for 10 hours straight, gimme a break) :)

But is there a second one for HIGH ENGINE temps? And even if there is, and it comes on, does this mean it MAY overheat soon, does it mean it IS overheating, does it mean you JUST BLEW the radiator?
well....
i actually pulled out the '04 manual and let me restate:

the classic Prius has two temperature indicators. one is blue and indicates low coolant temperature, and is just an informational thingy to let you know that the engine is not warm and you shouldn't exactly race it. the second is red and indicates a high coolant temeprature.

the new Prius has no indicators in the dash. However, it has warning (an icon that looks nearly identical to the one I originally described) that comes up on the Muti-Display monitor. From page 126 of the manual,
The light (??? it's on a display!!!) operates to warn that the hybrid system is almost overheating.

If it comes on while you are driving, stop the vehicle and check your hybrid system (? wtf is that supposed to mean?). For detailed instructions, see "If your vehicle overheats" on page 242.
NOTICE
    Continued driving with the light on could result in the overheating of hybrid system

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I know the battery pack has a ventilation system from the passenger-side of the back seat. Don't let that become obstructed by cargo or people.

As for the engine, I don't know. Does one of those obid detector-thingies (yeah, good scientific terminology!) have a way to take the engine's temperature?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: well, you can't monitor it, but....

bradca21 said:
... unless there's a SECOND temp light on the dash, the only one I've ever seen is when it's below, I believe 37 degrees outside. I was driving to Seattle in march and we went through Mount Shasta in northern Cali and at first I swear to god it looked like a radiation symbol...
Ha, ha ha! Here in Fargo we have the "snowflake" symbol staring at us for about 8 months out of the year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: yes, there are two, on the classic

lensovet said:
well.... i actually pulled out the '04 manual and let me restate:

the classic Prius has two temperature indicators. one is blue and indicates low coolant temperature, and is just an informational thingy to let you know that the engine is not warm and you shouldn't exactly race it. the second is red and indicates a high coolant temeprature.

the new Prius has no indicators in the dash. However, it has warning (an icon that looks nearly identical to the one I originally described) that comes up on the Muti-Display monitor. From page 126 of the manual,
The light (??? it's on a display!!!) operates to warn that the hybrid system is almost overheating.

If it comes on while you are driving, stop the vehicle and check your hybrid system (? wtf is that supposed to mean?). For detailed instructions, see "If your vehicle overheats" on page 242.
NOTICE
    Continued driving with the light on could result in the overheating of hybrid system
:lol: Yeah - I read that too and had the exact same responses as you'd put in ()'s above - LOL! - especially the "wtf is that supposed to mean" one... I for one would prefer it if there were a way to monitor things a little more closely than the "PULL OVER NOW OR IT DIES!" light -- If anybody happens across more information about it, please pretty please - tell! Have a feeling this might be an ongoing question for many of us.... (Again - thanks in advance!) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts