Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new 04 Prius but I wish Toyota would consider equipping the cars delivered in the USA with two important items.

Daytime Running Lights & Low Tire Pressure Warning

I have a 03 Camry with DRL, which is a safety issue, and previously had a Sienna Van with LTP warning that saved me on two occasions.

Hope I can find some supporters that can tell Toyota we need these items on the Prius :idea:

Dick

·
Registered
515 Posts
Since DRL doesn't turn on the back lights, I am strongly opposed to them. Too many times I've seen people driving with DRL at night, making the rear of the vehicle completely invisible. That's very dangerous.

Of course, if that was coupled with lights that automatically turn on in the night, that would be a different story. Then the danger would be reduced to just parking lots... not a perfect solution, but definitely better.

As for low pressure, do you mean a DANGER warning where the tire could burst at any moment? If not, there may be no way to properly implement that feature... since owners don't agree on what PSI is "too low".

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
As for DRL, yeah, I'd like to have the option. Tire Pressure alarms, I could take 'em or leave 'em...I have no real preference.

My Corvette (1999; a "C5" model) had DRL which only illuminated the yellow lights up front, and kept the main headlights off and closed. You're right, no rear lights, but I didn't think they were really needed for that particular implementation. That car did have the automatic headlights feature for night driving.

That 'Vette also had runflat tires, and no spare; so it had low tire pressure (LTP) monitors. I could check the pressure in each of the four tires from the dashboard, and the alarm bells would go off when they went to 25 PSI or lower. I think my tires were rated at 32 PSI (17" front, 18" rear), so 25 pretty much was flat.

LTP is a neat gizmo, but does have some drawbacks:

1) computer almost never agreed with my tire guage, even when properly calibrated. So how much air do I really have in 'em?

2) Tires could only be serviced by a person with special training, and at a shop with certification, even if it was just balancing or alignment. Yes, weird. Add $ accordingly.

3) A flat would be drivable (w/runflat tires), but could possibly damage the LTP sensor (attached to the inside of the wheel). A flat with non-runflats would almost certainly damage the sensor...maybe? I dunno for sure, but maybe more cost for repairs.

4) Tire rotations could complicate things, unless each LTP sensor is uniquely coded. Corvette's wheels and tires weren't designed to be rotated, so this wasn't a problem on that car, unless some bonehead mixed up the tires somehow...

5) Cold weather would set off the LTP alarm bells. What was I supposed to do in December, put more air in tires before work, and let it out before coming home in the late afternoon? Another weird thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The one wish I have is that the cruise wouldn't reset below 24 mph. This is the only car I've owned where the cruise didn't retain its memory until either the car or the cruise was turned off. And if that's my only complaint (which it is), I must be very satisfied (which I am).

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can add a smartire pressure monitoring system (available at Tirerack). I have had one for 3 years and it has saved me at least 1 tire (It had a slow leak from picking up a screw which would have been a blowout if not for the monitor. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Rick Reece said:
You can add a smartire pressure monitoring system (available at Tirerack). I have had one for 3 years and it has saved me at least 1 tire (It had a slow leak from picking up a screw which would have been a blowout if not for the monitor. Have fun, Rick
Looks interesting, Rick. One would just have to decide where to place the monitor display. Maybe behind the steering wheel on that blank section of the dashboard?

Anyhow, heres' the web link to the passenger vehicle page at Smarttire: http://www.smartire.com/products/passenger/index.html They have 'em for bikes, too...so poke around on that site for more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low Tire Pressure Warning System

In regards to the LTP warning system I had on my 98 Toyota Sienna van the signal came from the ABS system. The following discription came from a Toyota technician.

The LTP warning system does not sense actual tire pressure but works off a differential in tire rotation speed that comes from the four ABS speed sensors. The tires are paired and if one tire is low in pressure the difference in rotation speed is detected and will bring on the LTP warning light if the differential becomes large enough.

From personal experence found that if one tire was aprox. 5 PSI lower than the opposite tire the warning light would come on. I had my van for almost 6 years and found the warning system very reliable and saved me twice from having to change a flat tire on the highway.

I feel even more of a need for this warning system now that my new Prius has only a limited temporary spare tire.

Dick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sonoma said:
I love my new 04 Prius but I wish Toyota would consider equipping the cars delivered in the USA with two important items.

Daytime Running Lights...
Maybe I don't understand the difference between DRLs and the headlights that come with the car. But I just leave my headlights on all of the time. The Prius's lights turn off automatically when you power off the car and open the door. So there's no chance of draining your battery.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the significant difference between DRLs and just turning on the headlights all of the time. :?:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hi, Wood:

You're right, you could turn on the headlights during the day. The HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights should use less electrical power anyway, but all of the exterior and dashboard lights would then be on, thereby shortening their life, and maybe defeating the power savings of the HID lamps. Plus, the MFD is dimmed for nighttime use.

Really, this issue is six-one-way/half-dozen the other way for me. I usually just leave my headlights off in the daytime, unless I'm in heavy traffic, or feel that there may be some extra risk on a particular road (people unexpectedly changing lanes, cutting others off, etcetera). Then I turn on my parking lights or headlights, and flip that dashboard dial all the way so that my MFD won't be too dim to read.

When I get out of traffic, I just shut the headlights off. If I forget, the car will do it for me when I power down.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
BIF said:
Hi, Wood:

You're right, you could turn on the headlights during the day. The HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights should use less electrical power anyway, but all of the exterior and dashboard lights would then be on, thereby shortening their life, and maybe defeating the power savings of the HID lamps. Plus, the MFD is dimmed for nighttime use.

Really, this issue is six-one-way/half-dozen the other way for me. I usually just leave my headlights off in the daytime, unless I'm in heavy traffic, or feel that there may be some extra risk on a particular road (people unexpectedly changing lanes, cutting others off, etcetera). Then I turn on my parking lights or headlights, and flip that dashboard dial all the way so that my MFD won't be too dim to read.

When I get out of traffic, I just shut the headlights off. If I forget, the car will do it for me when I power down.
That's what the little dimmer wheel (on north american cars) near the drivers left knee on the dash is for. All the way up for full dash brightness (day mode), turn the wheel down at night to dim the displays. There's also a "Day Mode" soft switch on the MFD to raise the brightness of the display when the rest of the dash lights are dimmed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you use to make the clock brighter when the headlights are on during the day? The dimmer switch does not seem to do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One other thing.....I wish the fog lights could be controlled separately from the headlights.....currently, the only time they are available is if the headlights are also on. I would think these lights would make appropriate DRL's as well........

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE:Wish List (Smart Cruise Control)

windsurfdog said:
The one wish I have is that the cruise wouldn't reset below 24 mph. This is the only car I've owned where the cruise didn't retain its memory until either the car or the cruise was turned off. And if that's my only complaint (which it is), I must be very satisfied (which I am).
I would like a Smart Cruise Controljavascript:emoticon(':idea:')
javascript:emoticon(':idea:') that would allow entering 5 target speeds on the center console and stearing wheel that a driver could choose and press the max gas milage putton. I would choose 20, 25, 30, 45, 55, 60. The car would sense the control and speed to the target speed selected, saving the most energy! With such a device, the Prius could get great milage without human training. It took me about 2 weeks to go from 42 MPG to 52 MPG on a tankjavascript:emoticon(':oops:')
javascript:emoticon(':oops:'). It would be a wounderful option for a new driver. javascript:emoticon(':D')
javascript:emoticon(':D')

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. buttons on the steering wheel that activate the options showing on the MF display.

2. make it harder to accidently hit the recirculate button on the steering wheel.

3. change holder

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would like to hack my computer so that it will respond (verbally only, of course) to a few choice commands when I have a passenger riding shotgun:

Me: "Arm Photon Torpedoes"
Prius: "Torpedoes armed"

Me: "Activate Passenger Ejector Seat"
Prius: "Seat Ready; please enter velocity and trajectory"

Me: "Warp Factor Four"
Prius: "Make it so!"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wished for Features

The voice commands are a great idea and better use of the computer/display would definitely be a benefit and actually should be able to be implemented as a software upgrade to existing cars!

What i would really like to see is interior in some color besides ca-ca brown and decent front seats. I'm not asking for great seats, or even nice seats, just decent, adjustable seats. The stock seats may be typically toyta, but they are a poor example of automotive engineering on a $22,000 car.

Also, the stearing wheel should tilt more and telescope. Where is the telescoping steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just thought of another one:

Me: "Evasive Maneuvers"
Prius (in classic Majel Barett computer voice): "Unable to comply..."

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wish that hitting the info button on the steering wheel repeatedly would toggle back and forth between the energy screen and the consumption screen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ray Moore said:
I wish that hitting the info button on the steering wheel repeatedly would toggle back and forth between the energy screen and the consumption screen.
Um, mine does exactly that. Perhaps yours is broken?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts