Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I love my 04 Prius, but well, gosh-darnit...

Package 9, bluetooth, calender, phonebook in dash, waypoints logged in the nav system...

Oh, and a laptop.

Why in the world did Toyota and the Nav System manufactures NOT include a blasted serial or USB port for moving that info in and out of the car?

And even tracking performance data?

/sigh.

Anyone else feel the same?

Maybe next time

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hehe.. A package with the Nav system, but without the alarm, homelink mirror, or bluetooth would have been nice for me, but of all the things that are missing from any package, the ones I (and to a greater extent, also my wife,) would like are a sunroof and leather. (Yes, I know leather can be added, but not a sunroof, and all of the leather conversions I've seen are expensive.

·
Registered
248 Posts
OK I have only had a 15- 20 test drive but the only two things I want is a more adjustable seat. Up, Down tilt, lumbar support the works. The second is a miles to empty display. That is my favorite display on my present car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
rdrast said:
Currently, I love my 04 Prius, but well, gosh-darnit...
Oh, and a laptop.

Why in the world did Toyota and the Nav System manufactures NOT include a blasted serial or USB port for moving that info in and out of the car?

And even tracking performance data?

/sigh.

Anyone else feel the same?

Maybe next time
Yes, a lot. For that matter why not offer a keyboard socket and let the car sub for a laptop? For me, skip the serial port and give me USB or firewire or... a slot for PMCIA or a small mem card would be great, anyway to port data (preferably bi-directionally).

I would rather preplan trips on my PC and download data to the car rather than sit in the car in the garage and punch buttons. Keep the abilty to program or change nav programs on the fly but allow me to author routes, add destinations, etc from the comfort of my personal workstation.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
patrickg said:
Yes, a lot. For that matter why not offer a keyboard socket and let the car sub for a laptop? For me, skip the serial port and give me USB or firewire or... a slot for PMCIA or a small mem card would be great, anyway to port data (preferably bi-directionally).

I would rather preplan trips on my PC and download data to the car rather than sit in the car in the garage and punch buttons. Keep the abilty to program or change nav programs on the fly but allow me to author routes, add destinations, etc from the comfort of my personal workstation.

/nod.

I have a bunch of addresses from another nav system that I used to use, and as good as the address entry is in the Prius/Denso system, I'd rather just download them as a batch.

And in a couple years, when I get a new car, I'd really like to be able to just upload everything, and download it to the new one.

As far as comms adapters go, my laptop has bluetooth, serial, usb, wifi, and wired ethernet. I just wish SOMETHING there would talk to the car :p

·
Registered
215 Posts
ehurtley said:
hehe.. A package with the Nav system, but without the alarm, homelink mirror, or bluetooth would have been nice for me, but of all the things that are missing from any package, the ones I (and to a greater extent, also my wife,) would like are a sunroof and leather. (Yes, I know leather can be added, but not a sunroof, and all of the leather conversions I've seen are expensive.
Depending on what you consider expensive, I got a quote for leather that could be done during my work day. They would come and pick it up, get everything installed and have it back in the parking lot and handing me the keys by the end of "a regular 8 hour work day" Obviously there's a day or 2 of measurements etc that would happen before hand, but they guaranteed that unless I requested something special they can match the color of the original interior "within 2 shades"

I was quoted $1150.
Forhaving it done in one day so I'm not without my car for a while and a high quality leather, $1150 seems really reasonable to me.

Now, I know I'm in SoCal right now and you're in Portland, but I would say call your dealer and ask the service department who they recommend for leather installation that does a great job for a great price. That's how I heard about the guys I'm mentioning here...

(I haven't gotten anything installed as I need the money for my moving expenses and down payment on a home right now, but... I would assume this is a pretty average price unless you have connections...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Missing Item

How about a moon roof? Are there any companies out there that still do this stuff aftermarket? I'm in Phoenix.
Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
leather in socal

bradca....

what leather shop are you using? I'm in socal as well and I would appreciate the contact info for leather.

also, do you know if having leather done affects the warranty on the vehicle (as well as extended warranty)?

how do they ensure that the side airbags will still work?

by the way, you have the EXACT color and package Prius I'm waiting for! What wheels did you put on your prius? they look bigger than standard..... does it affect your mpg?

i'm also considering moving to seattle...... this is creepy! why are you moving (if you don't mind me asking)?

thanks,
pshady

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: leather in socal

pshady said:
bradca....

what leather shop are you using? I'm in socal as well and I would appreciate the contact info for leather.

also, do you know if having leather done affects the warranty on the vehicle (as well as extended warranty)?

how do they ensure that the side airbags will still work?

by the way, you have the EXACT color and package Prius I'm waiting for! What wheels did you put on your prius? they look bigger than standard..... does it affect your mpg?

i'm also considering moving to seattle...... this is creepy! why are you moving (if you don't mind me asking)?

thanks,
pshady
AND you're in Long Beach too...

STALKER!!!

hehe... funny...

I just called Toyota of Long Beach. (562-494-4444) I honestly don't recall who they referred me to as I didn't take advantage of it, but I did mention about the side airbags and they informed me that it's just a matter of some breakaway stiching and that would be no problem.

As far as warranty, I'm not sure, but I would assume that the only warranty effected would be any involving the seat material and staining/tearing. Again though, I'm not sure and I would recommend contacting a dealer and finding out for sure. And if it sounds in your favor, get it in writing!!

The rims are 17's, chrome, and from the America's Tire in the Long Beach Town Center. They were a special order and took about a week for them to get. My mpg does go down some, but with the way I drive it was never 55+ to begin with... If I drive mellow, especially dealing with the freeway speeds and the stop lights at EVERY SINGLE BLOCK, I can get mid 40's or better.

If you're familiar with the Seattle area, I grew up in Kirkland and have been down here for the last 3.5 years. I got my credit repaired and started looking into a home loan. The amount I qualified for wouldn't get JACK in CA but gets me a 1.5 yr old condo in Everett (15-20 min NE of Seattle) Between being able to afford something so awesome up there, and the oppurtunity to move back home... Count me in! :D :D :D :D :D

I think I got all your Q's

Feel free to contact me via email or IM if you want and if you have more Q's. (or this thread is fine too)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: leather in socal

bradca21 said:
The rims are 17's, chrome, and from the America's Tire in the Long Beach Town Center. They were a special order and took about a week for them to get. My mpg does go down some, but with the way I drive it was never 55+ to begin with... If I drive mellow, especially dealing with the freeway speeds and the stop lights at EVERY SINGLE BLOCK, I can get mid 40's or better.
I've got 17's myself (port added Enkei), and seemed to be getting mid 40's from day 1 myself; just now getting ready to cross the "50 mpg barrier". ;) Any chance you're posting to the green hybrid database? I'd be interested to compare mpg.

P.S. Saw the photo on your web page; nice rims. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
climate control

ME? I'd like an automatic climate system that prioritized efficiency. Whenever I turn the auto/AC on (and if I don't want that from the steering wheel button, I have to go through the on screen menu gymnastics) the AC comes on... even if it is cooler outside then in and vents would do cooling as well. What if I just want the vents on? (Which by the way always bring in air warmer then the outside air???) Well, I have to go through the cumbersome on screen display to select fan on, recirc air off, A/C off (it always wants to come on) and upper vents open. Then I have to crank the temp low so it does not turn on the heater. If I want to adjust the fan speed, I am forced to go back to the screen again.

What about a climate control system that was actually smart enough to say, "Gee it is cool outside so I will bring in fresh outside air to cool the car, rather than wasting energy running the A/C".

Give me a nice simple hot/cold slider and fan speed knob any day!

Todd

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If wishes were Prii, then beggars would ride

I'll take a phase-plasma canon in the 40 watt range :p

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
As far as the "moon-roof." If you will check your top you will see that it is "scalloped" and not adaptable to aftermarket moon roofs. The Prius was designed in a wind tunnel for the complete lack of "drag". Thats the main reason for the cars strange "look". If you even add mud-guards to the car you interrupt that designed air-flow and decrease some of it's gas milage. You don't want to fool with the exterior.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ehurtley said:
Hmm... I've seen a Prius taxi with a moonroof (not the one in the photo album on priuschat but the same taxi company). It's the same driver that had the classic Prius and put 200,000+ kms on it. Perhaps it's available through special order?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd like an AC outlet so the car could provide 120 volts with as large a breaker as possible - making the Prius an 'on demand' generator. You could have AC power where ever you could drive your Prius. Why not?

·
Registered
311 Posts
MY WISH... I wish Toyota provided optional splash guards (mud flaps) as I get a lot of mud on my car driving on dirt and gravel roads. I would expect some stone chip protection from the guards as well. I contacted Toyota parts folks but no joy so I went internet and found a guy named Paul [email protected]. He is selling custom molded splash guards made expressly to fit the 04-05 Prius. They are plain black are likely to not be noticed after installation. The guards seem robust enough and are made in Canada. Tlhey come with instructions and mounting hardware.

I like the moonroof idea Ed. I don't think it would be very aerodynamic, when open, but at low speeds would be OK. There is an issue regarding saety. I'd like to see some crash tests with a moonroof as it raises the possibility that it could seriously effect safety in some crashes. Liability would be a big issue to Toyota and they aren't likely to get behind someone elses product.

The AC outlet would probably have to be an option due to cost and limited number of owners interested (percentage wise.) Once you accept the AC outlet, in concept, as an extra cost option you aren't very far from an aftermarket application which could be fitted. The aftermarket (third party) accessory isn't that big of an engineering feat but it isn't cheap either. If you want to tap a seriously significant portion of the car's long term steady state generating capacity you are getting into some serious electronics. If you just want to run a skill saw or a disco/karaoke outfit for a party in the woods, that is not so tough. The 12 VDC batery is so small that I wouldn't recommend attqaching a very large inverter to it. The charge path in the Prius that maintains the 12v batt isn't designed to supply huge currents like a large inverter draws.

Say for example you wanted a measly 10 amps at 120VAC... With a perfect idealized circuit (unobtainable efficiency in practice) you'd have to supply 100amps at 12 volts. This is not happeninjg with the small 12v batt or the charge path that maintains it. IF you wanted to run a cell phone charger or the like, no problem.

Cracking into the internals of the software and co-opting the existing hardware would be a more elegant solution but goodbye warranty. I see the origin of the desire but don't expect any relief from Toyota or for Toyota to sanction a third party. It would be really convenient for some of us but depending on power levels and method of accomplishment could cost as much as a portable generator.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts