Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a radar detector regularly, mounted near the bower center of the windshield. This makes normal use of a sunshade impossible. In my last car, I'd use it upside down, so the cutout for the rearview mirror was at the bottom, clearing the detector. Doesn't fit that way in the Prius, though.

So I thought about mounting the detector up high, right behind the mirror, so normal use of the sunshade might work, but of course the cord gets in the way.

So could I tap into the Homelink +-12V wires (if it has such wires) with a connector so the detector (and therefore the sunshade) could work wout a cord hanging down to the underside of the dash?

I'll have to check the current draw of course. But is there +-12V available in those Homelink wires?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to get a bit off topic, but as a cop I have to comment on this. Radar detectors are a waste of money. Modern police radar technology is far more advanced than it was even five years ago. Almost everyone I ticket has one, and most report they never went off. Those who actually had theirs go off only found it was advance warning they were about to be pulled over. I bring this up because I certainly wouldn't spend a bunch of money on one.

Also, if your detector has LIDAR (Laser) capability, mounting it high won't help you at all because we aim for you're license plates. The laser beam is pretty small, meaning it won't set off your detector at all unless it's mounted pretty close to the dash. That's why I say they're not worth the cash.

Dont get me wrong though. I do like that people have them because when I don't have time to stop speeders, I turn on my radar so all the people with radar detectors will slow down. I also like them because once I zap a speeder, if their detector goes off, they usually slow down, making it easier for me to catch them. :D

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although it is admittedly worthless against both laser (despite it's maker's claims) and the pulsed/instant-on type of radar, it is still effective against about 90% of our local radar/lidar devices now in use.

It has saved me the type of ticket where although everyone is doing the same speed (which is no legal justification), the guy out front will get the ticket. The warning the detector gives me is enough to let me make sure someone ELSE is ahead and faster then me, especially out on the open road where, ahem, local municipal budgets are tight (like CA-395 up Owens Valley, or I-5 and CA-99 up the central valley).

I don't drive excessively fast. I don't use the detector to try to let me drive dangerously and get away with it. Those people are idiots.

But if you are keeping up with traffic, or even temporarily slightly faster to get ahead enough for a safe lane change (necessary when trucks are doing 70 nose to tail), you are vulnerable to an arbitrary selection by the citing officer. Having a split second warning, so I am not so obvious, can make the difference between a ticket and watching someone ELSE get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
sutherlin12 said:
...Dont get me wrong though. I do like that people have them because when I don't have time to stop speeders, I turn on my radar so all the people with radar detectors will slow down. I also like them because once I zap a speeder, if their detector goes off, they usually slow down, making it easier for me to catch them. :D
I LOVE this post!! :D Go gettem, Sutherlin!

·
Registered
669 Posts
KTPhil said:
But if you are keeping up with traffic, or even temporarily slightly faster to get ahead enough for a safe lane change (necessary when trucks are doing 70 nose to tail), you are vulnerable to an arbitrary selection by the citing officer.
Reminds me of the time I went to traffic school (before we could do it online) and everyone was asked why they were there. When it got to me, my answer was "Driving the same speed as everyone else and getting caught at it".

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Why are you driving with the sunshade in place?
To get instrument rating, of course. IFR.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You won’t need the radar detector if you drive the speed limit (or at least within +7 MPH of it). Since buying the Prius, I find myself driving more defensively rather than aggressively, and I enjoy driving that way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just FYI, old Radar technology will always pick up the biggest, fastest object (in that order.) So if you're driving by a truck, the radar will always lock on to the truck. However, newer Radar (like the kind I have) will not only pick up the biggest object, but it will also find the fastest object, meaning that it will get both you and the truck if you're passing the truck and give two separate speed displays at the same time.

With Laser the coppers can pick out any vehicle in their line of sight for as far as they can see. I find it usually works best at about 1000' though. Since the Prius has a nice big flat rear end, it's particularly vulnerable to Laser.

If anyone is interested I can tell you the best methods to avoid a ticket and how to increase your odds of getting out of one if you're stopped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
firepa63 said:
sutherlin12 said:
If anyone is interested I can tell you the best methods to avoid a ticket and how to increase your odds of getting out of one if you're stopped.
Do tell...!
It's been a long time since I was ticketed (i.e., caught) but I'd like to know too. Just as an academic exercise....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to avoid removing the detector just to put up the sunshade. The mount is flimsy, and I've busted one before. Since the sunshade already has a cutout fto clear the mirror, mounting the detector near the mirror would mean I can just leave it installed when I put up the shade.

I suppose I could also tap into the dome light circuit, if it has a steady 12 there. But the slow dimming means it may not always be at 12V.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There's a steady 12V for the personal/map lights. That's why I say if installing an aftermarket mirror, you can tap 12V and ground right from the console. It's ACC/IG-On that you have to snake a wire for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts