Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Prius came with Goodyear Integrity tires. Does anyone have experience with them in the snow?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They're so-so (I'm on the wet coast). Seeing that you're in Buffalo, I'd strongly recommend a set of winter tyres.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Driving a Prius in Buffalo Winters

We drove our 2004 Prius (with the OEM tires) all last winter in Buffalo without any problems - though we don't venture out until the snowplow comes by. My advice would be to try using the OEM tires this winter and see how you do. I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think they were OK only until I got into deep stuff a couple of times (unplowed parking lots with a new 6" or more)...at which point the traction control rendered me almost unable to move.

This winter I'm putting on Blizzaks...why not, you're resting your other tires, so in a sense it costs you nothing extra, except for the steel wheels, or mounting/balancing if you have them swapped out. HUGE difference in stopping power on ice...see test on tirerack.com. Safety improvement well worth $130 for 4 steel wheels!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really didn't care for them at all, particularly when it snowed. First time I stopped with the brakes applied heavily in the first snowfall (to get a feel for them) they still slid, albeit in a straight line. :shock: Since we get a lot of lake effect I opted for new snows with wheels this winter. Not taking any chances with $23K, and $490 is cheap insurance plus I can extend the OEMs a little farther out.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
rpm said:
...steel wheels, or mounting/balancing if you have them swapped out. HUGE difference in stopping power on ice...see test on tirerack.com. Safety improvement well worth $130 for 4 steel wheels!
rpm,
I checked Tirerack for steel wheels a couple of days ago and they say they are hugely backordered and won't be available this year (I think they pulled them off their website too). As a result of waiting too long to order them, I'm getting them from a local dealer for $52 each, along with 4 Nokian Hakkapelliita RSi for a total of $598 including mounting, balancing and tax. In Vermont I need the very best since I commute over a mountain pass.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Winter Driving

As a soon to be new owner (ordered her beginning of Sept, due end of Nov :D ) I have a question about using winter or snow tires.

I notice that most of you seem to be talking about a set of rims and tires - meaning 4 right?? If this is a front-wheel drive, why 4 snows?? Is this something to do with the VSC??

My other front-wheel drive indicated that I only needed snow on the drive wheels. Same thing for my rear wheel drive (except my 4x4 truck - which ALWAYS has m&s tires)

Should I be considering getting a full set of rims and snows for my baby when she gets here?? I also am seeing that some of you are using 17 in rims . Aren't the originals 15"?? :?

I was always told that if you changed rim size, you had to have your spedometer recalibrated. Am I missing something - or misunderstanding??

Thanks for your input and patience. I have been lurking about for a month or so, and really enjoy this site!! :lol: I have learned SO much already and hope to learn even more from all of you...

-------------------------
Anxiously awaiting Seaside Pearl #6 8)

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Photolady,
The decision of whether to go with snows all around or only on the drive wheels depends on your location. In your area, snows on the front should be fine, in fact, some go without snows in the Middle Atlantic region and get by with all-season tires. But in Vermont and most of the north country, many people swear by 4 snows (even when you have 4-wheel drive) as there's increased traction and stability even for the non-drive wheels.

The Prius in this regard is fairly typical of other front-wheel drive cars, but may be somewhat superior than most with traction control and even more so with the VSC option.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
afternoonnap,
Thanks, glad you spoke up! I stand corrected. What I was speaking about was a common practice in more moderate climates but is now clearly antiquated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Winter Driving...

I guess my outlook was antiquated!! :shock: I have driven a pickup for the last 8 years and really haven't had to think about the tires.

What you say does make a whole lot more sense that putting them on just 1 axle. I used to use studded tires long ago and had much better control on the rear than on the front.

Thank you for the info!! I will certainly keep it in mind if I decide to use winter tires.

:lol:

-------------------------
awaiting Seaside #6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts