Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spray nozzles on my windshield washers are aimed so that they hit too low on the glass to be effective. On other cars I have been able to insert a small pin into the hole and move the nozzle around until it worked properly. I assume I can do that on the Prius, but don't want to make a mistake. Can they be adjusted without damaging them?

·
Registered
928 Posts
It can be done on the 2001-03 Prius, so probably on yours also. Give it a try. Don't use a lot of force. If it moves, great. If not, check back for further responses before increasing the force you use. Maybe someone with a 2004-05 repair manual will speak up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep works great in an '05. Needle works best. Small movement = large spray direction change.

RJG

·
Registered
83 Posts
Huh, I'll have to look again. I tried adjusting mine with a needle and was unsuccessful as the holes were so small. I was able to adjust them with tweezers but I wasn't particularly successful.

There is a special tool made to do this. But, it was unavailable a couple of months ago from the folks that sell the Toyota special tools.

FYI, the manual states specifically to not use a pin as it may damage the nozzle jet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Each nozzle sends out two streams. In the center of the nozzle, between the two holes is a little nipple. I was able to adjust the direction of the spray by nudging the nipple in the desired direction, using a screwdriver. It doesn't take much pressure, and you might have to make several attempts to get it just right, but it really isn't that hard.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Sanny, what have you and Hep been into????? :oops:
Now now... You forget, there's a lovely MRS. Hep. So quit it. :!:

But that whole screwdriver thing. ::::shudder:::

·
Registered
30 Posts
I should have mentioned before....put a needle in each opening to rotate the ball. You use both needles at the same time to manipulate the spray device.

·
Registered
157 Posts
<<<
put a needle in each opening to rotate the ball. You use both needles at the same time to manipulate the spray device.
<<<

I can't imagine that the rascals are going to leave this one alone.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
RG said:
I should have mentioned before....put a needle in each opening to rotate the ball. You use both needles at the same time to manipulate the spray device.
Well, turnabout is fair play. If you're going to nudge nipples with a screwdriver, might as well rotate the balls with a needle, too! Still, sounds awful! :shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I'm glad that you folks had good luck in adjusting the spray patterns. My nipples were too stiff that everytime I tried adjusting them with the tweezers, they jumped all over the place. I couldn't make minute adjustments. But that was in winter, maybe now that it's summer, they'll be softer and more pliable. I'll have to try adjusting them again so that they're identical and aimed in the right direction.

(How's that for a post to cover both lines of thought in this thread....)

-bob

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now now, guys, lets keep it PG. This is about nipples on our cars....(which i never really took time to think if our cars did indeed have nipples) :wink:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
How else will they feed the hatchlings? :lol:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
bobc said:
...My nipples were too stiff that everytime I tried adjusting them with the tweezers, they jumped all over the place. I couldn't make minute adjustments...
sounds perfectly reasonable to me...

hep said:
how would they feed the hatchlings?
Exactly. Unless Toyota has some nifty hybrid thingy that we've not discovered yet. Maybe the hatchlings graze on something? Perhaps the little green leaves on the Prius icon thingy mean something? You know - gas goes in, and leaves come out. Maybe that's just the adults, and the hatchlings graze on the green leaves. Or the ones that regen braking make on the multi-display.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
KTPhil said:
How do you aim the rear washer? Same way? Can it be aimed high enough to discourage tailgating?
A very tempting idea, but I would discourage it. There is a lot of irrational road rage out there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts