Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from 2,600 mile trip in our 2002 Prius (from Fort Worth to Las Vegas and return). On the trip, a chunk of gravel hit the lower portion of our windshield on the passenger side. Got to watch a three inch crack grow into a 12 inch one as we drove. Wife immediately put tape on the crack inside and our when it happened. Had been told that would help preven its expanding. It didn't!

Called Toyota dealer for estimate re glass replacement. Toyota price: $650.00 for the job! Wow! Am now checking other sources. Have found Toyota dealers to differ on prices in the past....not to mention that my insurance has a $500.00 deductible for glass breakage!

Suggestions?

On this trip, we were constantly at 75-80mph on cruise control at altitudes to 6,000 feet. Temperatures often exceeded 110 F in Las Vegas. Car performed perfectly. Got me worried in the mountains once when the battery appeared almost drained, but tech on the phone said not to worry as long as "trouble" lights didn't come on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Winshield Breakage and Cost

I had to replace the windshield on my 2002 Prius about a month ago. A Canadian Goose decided to fly into the windshield while I was going 50 mph. The entire windshield shattered and bulged in a foot where the goose hit it, but the windshield remained intact.
I had the glass replaced at a local auto glass shop and the total, for parts and labor, was $750 so the $650 price that Toyota quoted you sounds right. The windshield has a special heat reflective coating which is one of the reasons it is more expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on Windshield Replacement

Was not happy with Toyota's price of $650. Consulted with friend at State Farm and he sent me to Binswanger Glass, one of the largest glass companies in the country. They sent a guy out after lunch. He replaced the Prius windshield and moved over all of my "stickers" including the "Eat My Voltage!" one for $247 including sales tax. Informed me that Toyota dealers typically "farm out" glass installation around here. Very happy with the job. I talked to Toyota Service before doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts