Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
priuswannabe1 said:
Will window tinting installed on the rear window negatively effect the auto dimming mirror?
No, it will not. The tint should actually help. Since the tint is already dark, the little light that does make it to the mirror will still set it off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Window Tint

Joel said:
The factory in Japan doesn't install tint - most vehicles don't get port installed tint either - the dealer does it mainly.
I see what you mean, The window sticker says "Distributor Installed Options." Plus we didn't buy from a dealer, Wife is an employee.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: Window Tint

A GST Associate?

snlcross said:
Joel said:
The factory in Japan doesn't install tint - most vehicles don't get port installed tint either - the dealer does it mainly.
I see what you mean, The window sticker says "Distributor Installed Options." Plus we didn't buy from a dealer, Wife is an employee.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
snlcross said:
If I had it to do over I would opt for the "Factory Installed" tint. We got "Port installed" without raelizing it which was about $100. less but I've already found out that it can get scratched easily.

The Prius does not get tinting done at the factory.

All tinting (beyond the normal on the car) is either a Port or Dealer option, or farmed out to an aftermarket shop.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As I said in the "sunshade" topic, it got really HOT here in central Florida yesterday. And it's not even the hot part of the year yet. I'm also planning to go see about getting the tinting done.

There's a good place here that does Lumar. I'm going out today to check it out. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
*** Status Update ***

I had the Lumar "Platinum" tinting done. The place I went to did a great job. No bubbles. The "Platinum" gives the windows a silvery mirror look from the outside.

I got the street legal done for the doors and little windows in the pillars, and one shade darker for that big window in the hatch.

The car looks great, and I didn't have any trouble driving at night. I'll keep you posted on my heat experiences.

·
Registered
77 Posts
BIF,
How much darker is your tinting compared to the smoked glass in the "bottom" of the hatch :?:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
windsurfdog said:
BIF,
How much darker is your tinting compared to the smoked glass in the "bottom" of the hatch :?:
I'm glad you asked. It might never have occurred to me to tell you about this. The tinting on the "top" back window is dark enough that the "bottom" back window's smoked glass looks like a brighter "strip" below the bar (but only at night). Initially, it was a bit distracting, because now I could see the road "down there," but it's only when a car behind me has low-shining beams, and is at a close distance.

Of course, this lower window's tint was unchanged, and so the "road view" is an optical effect caused by the top window now being more tinted than the bottom window. In actuallity, the "road view" was always there...but just didn't register in my mind until I tinted the top window.

This is probably something I'll get used to over time, so I will wait and see what I think after a couple more nighttime drives.

It appears that the auto-dimming rear-view mirror doesn't dim as much or as often as it did before I got the tinting done. Of course, the darker tint reduces the need for mirror-dimming. And the mirror still dims properly whenever a car with bright lights pulls up so close that their headlights come through that bottom smoked window.

Of course, I'm still happy with the rear view mirror, because I have been able to program it to open the gates to my gated community. So it's not been a total waste. And as I said, it still does "auto dim" somewhat, but not like it did before.

And one last thing: I have no problems with the NAV computer. I know the GPS sensor is in the front, where there's no tint, but just so you all know, I can give you positive confirmation that metalized window tinting does not hurt your GPS accuracy or signal.

More to come...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi - living in San Bernardino I've looked into this a bit -- and as far as I understand it, the darkest shade - the one used for Limo's - you have to have a permit for; but other than that we're free to do as we like on the side windows and the back... it's the front windshield we're not to mess with (not sure about the potential strip across the top... need to check with a pro on that).

Just had the tinting added to our brand new '04 and am absolutely thrilled with it. The work was done by dealer contract, and the specific film ours used is called "Charcool" and it comes in four colors - we opted for the "dark" (not limo) on the back window and the two passenger/back seat windows along with those little ones in between, and "medium" for the driver side and front passenger windows and the two tiny chapel windows just forward of them. Not only can I tell already that it's going to be a big help with the heat problems, but it really adds significantly to the whole comfort level while inside the car --- just takes the edge off the glare that most of the time we cope with without thought, that is until we don't have to do that any longer. The difference in having it was more than I'd anticipated - was well worth it, IMHO. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to the CHP site, it's the windshield AND the front side windows that should have no tint

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The site link I posted says differently.

http://www.autowindowtinting.com///stat ... California

And another link on that page: http://www.tintshops.com/californiafull.htm

...but to make it easier, here's a quote from it:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of

this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Retrieved from:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisg ... n=retrieve

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is what the California Highway Patrol site says (in part)

Illegal...

Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC).

Your source sounds quite official. I don't know who to believe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been dying to tint my new red '04 Prius, but I been researching the tinting reg's and this it what I've determined...

Here is a nice chart for all the states:

http://iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm

Here is a site with the text of the Motor Vehicle laws for each state:

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Both of them indicate that in NY (where I am) and CA, the front side windows must have a light transmission of 70%. That seemed fine with me, I'm just looking for a bit of a heat reduction and a cool looking vehicle, but when I called the local tint shop, they said it is illegal, and I've found other info indicating that as well:

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Finally, I found a little tidbit, somewhere, that said that "normal" auto safety glass has a light transmission rate of 70-90%. It certainly doesn't seem that way, but I really don't want to pay a few hundred bucks to be stopped, ticketed and made to remove (in a very tedious process) what I just paid good money for in case I'm wrong.

Has anyone out there tinted just the back windows of a new Prius? Does it look OK? Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Window tinting

I'm in the Los Angeles area and while I wait for my Pruis, I went to a local Auto Tint place near me that's been in business for 15+ yrs. I figure they know what they're doing by now! :wink: He indicated that I can get the Limo tint on all windows (minus the windshield) and offered the strip at the top of the windshield as others here have suggested. I asked about getting a light tint for the windshield and he will do it - however he advised that it is illegal and a CHP could pull me over and give me a moving violation ticket. I asked him about the many cars I see on the road that seem to have tinted windshields. We went to the front of his store and as cars came toward us on a fairly busy city street, he pointed them out and indicated that none of them had tinting. Man, I gotta tell you - ten or so cars in the space of a minute sure LOOKED tinted to me! He swore it was 'glare'. Now, if I can't tell the difference, how the heck can an officer? Besides, if I (reasonably) behave myself and don't go doing things that will get me special attention, I think police everywhere have better things to do than worry about a windshield that may be tinted or may be glare. IMHO, of course!

I'm still debating what to do, myself. Meanwhile I keep staring at window tints on cars as I drive![/u]

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My advice is to tint your eyes instead of your windshield. Find a good pair of sunglasses that wrap around.

Moving violation tickets can be very expensive, and in some states, may ding your driving record too. Plus, if you ever get pulled over, you could end up sitting for a half-hour to an hour while the cop writes the ticket. And if you have to report to court/pay fines, etcetera, that's just more wasted time. Better to keep it legal.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts