Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....for the side windows and maybe the top-rear window. So what do y'all think?

I've been using the suction-cup screens on the side windows, but not while driving. They're a hassle, and a potential danger with the curtain side air bags. If I go ahead, here would be my objectives:

1) I primarily want to reduce interior heat while parked, and reduce the use of the AC during the day. I live in Florida, which is usually about 5 degrees hotter than Hell on any given day in the summertime.

2) I need to see out at night, particuarly if other vehicles don't have their headlights on. This concern, whether founded or not, is the main reason I have never had a vehicle tinted.

3) I'd like to make it more difficult to see into the back seats when the car is parked at night. On rare occasions, I need to carry something that won't fit with the seats up, and darker windows may make it more difficult for people to see something of potential value.

4) I kind of like the metalized tinting. I saw a car today that had it. It looked sharp on a silver car, and it didn't appear to be very dark. Yet, the metalized look made it difficult to easily see inside.

5) If I tint the back window too, how will the auto-dimming rear view mirror be affected?

If I proceed, I already have a good shop in mind (here in town). I think they carry many different brands. I'll pay them a visit this week, but in the meantime, what do y'all think? Do you have any ideas, favorite brands, or any potential "gotchas"?

I'm also concerned about getting stopped by the police. I don't want to get into trouble with the law.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get your windows tinted already

Get your windows tinted already. You won't regret it. I have never used metalic tints, but all of my cars now have tinted windows. It really does decrease the heat in the car, and with those big windows the prius needs it.

Get the darkest possible for the back, one shade lighter for the rear sides, and one shade lighter still (should be 'medium') for the front side. Yes, tint the front side. If you don't it will look goofy and you'll lose the benefit of tinting. It's still easy enough to see inside the front.

Your fears about seeing out the windows are unfounded. Go for it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just do it! Tinted my Tideland and it really looks sharp and has made a significant difference to the heat factor (I'm in Florida, BTW). I asked my tint man to match the shade for all windows with the rear bottom window. It came out quite a bit darker than that but I'm used to it now and actually like it. It did seem to close the car in a little at first but I've found that to be a non-issue now. It is a little disconcerting not being able to make out more than headlights in the rear view at night--had a state trooper follow me for about 8-10 miles late Saturday night and didn't know he was a mountie until he turned right at the first light we approached--good thing this car has made me more mindful of efficiency than speed since I drive only 2-3 miles over the limit any more. I don't have the autodimming mirror but I wouldn't let that be an issue. I do use the nighttime setting for my manual mirror at night and, with the tint, I have no glare at all.

One other small issue after the tint was the appearance of a reflection of the silver colored A/C vents in the in the window as I view the outside rear view mirrors during the daylight hours. I found this to be a distraction at first but now I've gotten used to it.

Also, the tinting of the side windows coupled with the black door pillars gives a blackout look which includes the small windows in front and back--very, very nice look.

One other thing--get a strip of film installed at the top of the windshield--it really helps with the sun.

As far as tint films go, I don't think you can do wrong with a competent tint person who uses either Llumar or 3M tint. I chose my tint person just because he uses Llumar exclusively and he did a great job. Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
bubble in the tinting material?

I've seen a lot of really bad tint jobs with lots of bubbles. On the rear window, does putting tint material over the wires damage them in any way? If the tint material itself gets damaged and needs to be removed, can it be removed without pulling the wires off the glass or breaking them?
What is an approximate cost to have the windows tinted?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've seen a lot of really bad tint jobs with lots of bubbles.
I've seen many very nice tint jobs as well as a few ugly ones. Probably the quality of the film used as well as a 'homegrown' installation resulted in the "purple haze" and bubble syndrome. The Llumar film used on my car has a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Hopefully some training is required by Llumar for their dealers--don't know for sure. Check out their website--http://www.llumar.com
If the tint material itself gets damaged and needs to be removed, can it be removed without pulling the wires off the glass or breaking them?
Hope to never find out. The installers advertise removal but I wasn't interested in that service.
What is an approximate cost to have the windows tinted?
Will the exact cost do? $160.00 and worth every penny. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Question about tint

I read in the manual somewhere, that you shoud NOT tint if you have Nav, due to the GPS signal getting screwed up. Is this only for "metalic" tint?

I just recived my Black 04 yesterday, and am still considering it. I just wanted to get some real world experiences for those with NAV.

Thanks,

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went with the Llumar Platinum Plus, which is fully metallic and it works wonders at reducing internal ambient heat. Very extreme though, not for everyone so ask for a test piece before you decide.

BIF said:
.....for the side windows and maybe the top-rear window. So what do y'all think?

I've been using the suction-cup screens on the side windows, but not while driving. They're a hassle, and a potential danger with the curtain side air bags. If I go ahead, here would be my objectives:

1) I primarily want to reduce interior heat while parked, and reduce the use of the AC during the day. I live in Florida, which is usually about 5 degrees hotter than Hell on any given day in the summertime.

2) I need to see out at night, particuarly if other vehicles don't have their headlights on. This concern, whether founded or not, is the main reason I have never had a vehicle tinted.

3) I'd like to make it more difficult to see into the back seats when the car is parked at night. On rare occasions, I need to carry something that won't fit with the seats up, and darker windows may make it more difficult for people to see something of potential value.

4) I kind of like the metalized tinting. I saw a car today that had it. It looked sharp on a silver car, and it didn't appear to be very dark. Yet, the metalized look made it difficult to easily see inside.

5) If I tint the back window too, how will the auto-dimming rear view mirror be affected?

If I proceed, I already have a good shop in mind (here in town). I think they carry many different brands. I'll pay them a visit this week, but in the meantime, what do y'all think? Do you have any ideas, favorite brands, or any potential "gotchas"?

I'm also concerned about getting stopped by the police. I don't want to get into trouble with the law.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I read in the manual somewhere, that you shoud NOT tint if you have Nav, due to the GPS signal getting screwed up. Is this only for "metalic" tint?
Medved,
I don't have the Nav so it is not an issue with me. The ATR tint that was applied to mine is catagorized as a dyed/metal tint. It has no metallic look about it but it is dark. I could try my handheld GPS and get back with my findings if you like....

·
Registered
10 Posts
windsurfdog said:
Medved,
I don't have the Nav so it is not an issue with me. The ATR tint that was applied to mine is catagorized as a dyed/metal tint. It has no metallic look about it but it is dark. I could try my handheld GPS and get back with my findings if you like....
Windsurfdog,

Don't bother, since I really don't know where the GPS is in the Prius, I'm not sure it would be a good indication using a handheld to determin if the onboard GPS would be effected. One would think the antanna growing out of the top of the car would be the part that recieves the signal. I am sure there are others with GPS, and window tint, would could give me an Apples to Apples comparison.

Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
**************Don't bother, since I really don't know where the GPS is in the Prius, I'm not sure it would be a good indication using a handheld to determin if the onboard GPS would be effected. One would think the antanna growing out of the top of the car would be the part that recieves the signal. I am sure there are others with GPS, and window tint, would could give me an Apples to Apples comparison.****************

As it has been explained to me, while sitting in the drivers seat looking out the windshield the front, left most corner of the windshield... it's the little round, almost looks like a button in the dash. right at the corner

ANyone know for sure?[/quote]

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
bradca21 said:
**************Don't bother, since I really don't know where the GPS is in the Prius, I'm not sure it would be a good indication using a handheld to determin if the onboard GPS would be effected. One would think the antanna growing out of the top of the car would be the part that recieves the signal. I am sure there are others with GPS, and window tint, would could give me an Apples to Apples comparison.****************

As it has been explained to me, while sitting in the drivers seat looking out the windshield the front, left most corner of the windshield... it's the little round, almost looks like a button in the dash. right at the corner

ANyone know for sure?
[/quote]

No, the little round bubble on the dash is the AC light sensor. (if bright sunlight is on you, you'll probably want more cooling...) The antenna on the roof is for radio (AM/FM) reception.

The GPS antenna on the classic Prius is buried deep within the dashboard, near the firewall (one of the last things to remove to get to the firewall). I'd feel safe saying that it's probably in a similar place in the 2004 Prius.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine came with "Digifilm 32%" installed by the regional distributor; says "compiles with 32.5C-2" (whatever that means). It's not dark enough to prevent seeing into the car, but it does seem to help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was concerned about tinting because of the nav sys, but did it anyway. haven't had any problems with it, and it really looks good on my #9 silver! btw, i didn't get the strip on top of the windshield, because the antennae is in the dash, and that may mess it up a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I had it to do over I would opt for the "Factory Installed" tint. We got "Port installed" without raelizing it which was about $100. less but I've already found out that it can get scratched easily.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just today I considered getting my Prius' windows tinted. The temp outside today way about 90 degrees and when I got inside it was way too hot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The factory in Japan doesn't install tint - most vehicles don't get port installed tint either - the dealer does it mainly.

snlcross said:
If I had it to do over I would opt for the "Factory Installed" tint. We got "Port installed" without raelizing it which was about $100. less but I've already found out that it can get scratched easily.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Doesn't the Prius come with a slightly tinted set of windows?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts