Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try this one sometime: driving about 40MPH, open your rear windows all the way. You should hear a VERY loud pulsing sound, like a large subwoofer.

It seems the position of the rear window must be at some critical zone in the airflow around the car. The noise is nearly deafening!

Just one of those nerdy things that a meteorologist Prius owner noticed.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
klystron said:
Try this one sometime: driving about 40MPH, open your rear windows all the way. You should hear a VERY loud pulsing sound, like a large subwoofer.

It seems the position of the rear window must be at some critical zone in the airflow around the car. The noise is nearly deafening!

Just one of those nerdy things that a meteorologist Prius owner noticed.
Lots of cars do this. The solution is to open one of the front windows a little bit. (Or close the rear windows. Which is the better solution for better mileage. On the Prius, you'll get better mileage with the windows closed using the A/C than leaving the A/C off and the windows open.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've experienced the same thing in other cars. The Audi A4 sedan and VW Jetta wagon come to mind. Similar aerodynamics perhaps. I wouldn't describe it as a noise as much as a feeling of pressure on my ears, but yes, there is a *whomp whomp* subwoofer sound effect.

But yes, my Prius does it as well. I tend to keep the windows up and use the vents or the A/C (the latter as little as possible) when I'm driving around the city. It is nice to have the windows down driving up the coast though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Something that I noticed, is that with all my windows down, the back right window makes alot more noice than any other place. Maybe it is because of the Battery Vent right there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts