Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked :D at the new Prius and I'm impressed.
What I would like to inquire about is,will the '04 Prius have leather.
I really hope so considering how revolutionary it is.

Please if anyone knows please repond!

Thank you, this would mean so much!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also doubt it...

I got the options list from someone's post (I think it was here)...

Total list of options:

Rear Window Wiper
Side and Window Air Bags
Anti-Theft System
Garage Door Opener
Electrochromic Rear View Mirror
Smart Entry & Start
JBL AM/FM/Cassette/CD Changer
Vehicle Stability Control
High Intensity Dishcharge w/Fog Lamps
Navigation System

These are not available a la carte, you have to pick from packages, with the all inclusive high end coming in at $5245 tacked onto the list of $19,995...

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
leather != green

I certainly hope that leather is not an option! (So far, it isn't.)

Some people have installed leather onto their 2001-2003 Prius aftermarket. Ask your dealer if they have a preferred shop, or see if ClassicSoftTrim has a shop near you. Be warned if you have side air bags - at least in the 2002-2003 Prius they deployed from the side of the seat, so you have to be careful that the leather installation does not interfere with the side air bags' deployment in case of an accident. (Special break-away threads must be used.)

I've had a car with leather seats once. They were a bear to upkeep (cleaning, softening, keeping the cracks out). They were hot in the summer (even through clothing), and cold in the winter. Myself and anything placed on the seats didn't stay there long - slid all over the place. I'd much prefer cloth seats, like the Prius comes with, over leather seats any day, and that's before the environmental and ethical reasons!

OK, some people might be past the whole idea that an animal (usually a cow) had to die to provide you with the leather seats that you want.
However - what about the environmental impact of raising that cow? Trees had to be cleared, land that could've been used for food crops was used for cattle-feed. Pesticide use for the food, and general farm run-off polluting water supplies. Probably more petroleum usage raising/feeding/transporting the cattle than if you got vinyl (plastic) seats!

The modern tanning industry is not known for being environmentally-friendly either. Heavy chemical usage normally (makes the leather non-biodegradable), and more waste-water runoff (full of nasty chemicals) from the tanning factories. Communities around many tanning plants report higher cancer rates.

So you take a ~50MPG car (low CO2 emissions), with AT-PZEV/SULEV emissions (extremely low smog-producing emissions), and install leather (very non-environmentally friendly product)? Just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You!

Thanks everybody for taking some time to answer my question! :D .
I look forward to the new prius.
This helped me with my decision alot :!:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Leather Covers vs. Standard Velour

But the 2004 Prius does not have cloth seats, it has a (non-adjustable) velour seats. Why can't the prius have woven cloth seats like the Scion? And why can't the interior be available in black?

·
Registered
17 Posts
leather seats

I know for a fact that the dealers in florida put leather seats at the port for a big profit add on around $1500. I am not exactly sure of the price. I hope that helps you. we bought it with the fabric seat not bad so far only 2 weeks old.

G

·
0 Posts
Why leather?

As someone else mentioned, leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I will NEVER have a car with leather again after experiencing the wonders of the alcantara fiber used in the Prius. It is SO comfortable and easy to care for. The reason black is not used PROBABLY has to do with the interior absorbing too much heat in the summer. Just a wild guess. Besides,,, black would attract too much dust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Answer the question!

sorry for the following vent, but its just been bothering me.
this is not the first time someone has responded to a message with "Why would you do that?! its not eco friendly!". please answer his question. dont belittle him for wanting leather. he specifically asked if it came with leather. not 'should i get leather? i havent decided because of the environmental issues'.
ive also seen this in the radar detector thread. but i think ive made my point, so i dont have to go into detail.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Re: Answer the question!

Smackoww said:
sorry for the following vent, but its just been bothering me.
this is not the first time someone has responded to a message with "Why would you do that?! its not eco friendly!". please answer his question. dont belittle him for wanting leather. he specifically asked if it came with leather. not 'should i get leather? i havent decided because of the environmental issues'.
ive also seen this in the radar detector thread. but i think ive made my point, so i dont have to go into detail.
I don't think anybody has said "why would you do that" or otherwise "tsk, tsk"d the original poster. There is one reply that discusses the pollutiveness of the tanning process, but this is simply information-sharing. I see nothing wrong with it. Are we here to share information or not?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just had the feeling that the 'tsk tsk' post was lecturingthe origional poster. not answering his question. the majority of the post was booing leather because of the environmental concern, thoguh i do agree this wasnt s bad.
im more bothered by the radar detector post in another thread (if youve read it, you know what im talking about). the discussion then got hijacked into a debate on whether speeding was moral!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Smackoww said:
i just had the feeling that the 'tsk tsk' post was lecturingthe origional poster. not answering his question. the majority of the post was booing leather because of the environmental concern, thoguh i do agree this wasnt s bad.
im more bothered by the radar detector post in another thread (if youve read it, you know what im talking about). the discussion then got hijacked into a debate on whether speeding was moral!
'tsk tsk' for a 'tsk tsk' for a 'tsk tsk'

Hmm 'tsk tsk' sounds like a good subject to "hijack" this one to :roll:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: leather != green

mrv said:
I certainly hope that leather is not an option! (So far, it isn't.)
Uhmm. If I wanted the leather then thats my problem, not yours, so why should you hope not?

Maybe I could counter by saying MRT should only offer Blue as a colour because I dont like the rest :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts