Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back from Showlow Arizona to Overgaard Arizona, a fairly flat drive, driving initially for about 20 minutes at 35 to 50 MPH in the town, observed the following on the consumption display:
The four vertical bars were at or above 90 MPG, with most having several regen marks. How is this possible? :!:

Prior to driving home we had been in a traffic pile up for about 20 minutes at very slow, stop and go speeds, so the battery was near it's low charge level. As an aside we also were in a mild hail storm, which I'm sure had no effect on anything, except for our concern for body damage.
Does the vertical bar length include the value of the regen icons somehow? :?:

I'm confused?? After reviewing most of the great material on this site I thought that I understood the system and displays pretty well, but I guess not. :oops:

Cheers, Arnie

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One regen symbol represents 50 W-hours. That's not very much energy in an automotive context, (very) roughly 1/5th of the energy to go from 0 to 60 MPH. The route was not perfectly flat, so the drive system was repeatedly regenerating from short/un-noticeably gentle downslopes. If you were not using cruise control then there were more opportunities for this, each time you let up on the accelerator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone else observed this strange behavior? Normally I'm getting the usual 45+/- average that most are reporting and no, I'm not planning on returning the car.
Arnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts