Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know if I can use any wider Tires and sporty wheels on Prius 2005? If so, would it impact the fuel consumption negatively?

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: With the OEM tires "Low rolling resistance" and the OEM wheels of lightweight alloy, it is evident that changing to "wider tires" and sporty wheels would most certainly adversely affect mileage. In addition, the speedometer accuracy would be affected unless the circumference of the wider tires was identical to the OEM tires (unlikely).

·
Registered
93 Posts
To be on the safe side check out the "Online Tire Size Calculator" @ http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.

As you know the OEM's are 185/65R15's which makes them a 24.5" outside diameter (tire that is). Coincidently 205/40R18's are the exact same diameter! I'm in the process of swapping them here shortly.

Check out "http://www.centerlinewheels.com. They have super-light alloy wheels and at a great price. The 18's I mentioned above only weigh about 14 #'s. Close to the 16" OEM's but with less tire weight. The increase in rolling resistance will still cost you a couple of mpg but hey...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oversize Wheels and Tires

Wouldn't the added mass of larger and heavier wheels and tires act similar to a flywheel and assist with the momentum after you get rolling? I know they would be harder to get rolling, but once rolling, should help with mileage.

Greg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take it from one who has done it. I picked up a set of 17" Scion tC wheels and tires. They were a set of showroom pull-offs. The look great on the Prius. Overall diameter is almost exactly the same so speedometer is still pretty accurate. Gas mileage suffered by about 3 MPG. A small price to pay for the great improvement in looks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
D said:
I too was thinking of putting some nicer wheels on but was uncertain if any aftermarket rims would fit. I went to the tirerack.com and found some that I like. Hope the attachment worked
The ones in the second pic look niiiice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a Prius I see parked usually in the same spot on my way home from work. It has rims very similar to the ones in the second picture but chromed. Its jsut my opinion but since the first day I saw that car I thought they never did look good on there.

My friend has got a set of the 17" scion Tc rims on his black 04 and they look great. I got a new undriven on set from a kid with the undriven on tires for $400 cash. You can get deals close to that off eBay, jsut something to consider at a good price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tire Size Comparison

Spec Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
185/65-15 4.7in 12.2in 24.5in 76.9in 824 0.0%
235/35-20 3.2in 13.2in 26.5in 83.2in 762 8.2%

discounttire.com has 20" Konig Tuner II 20"x7.5" 5-100/114.5

Just a thought, not sure how bad it would effect the mpg and speedometer.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Custom wheels looks great but "rear" drum brakes on the Prius will look bad if the "Wheels" has too large of spacings between the spokes. Perhaps the ones with the dense spokes will hide the rear drums.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmmm... 20's maybe a little over the top, especially for a Prius. But If I had the funds I would definatly try it.

But I think this 15x6.5:

would be much more reasonable as far as looks and price. Heck I could reuse the stock tires :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the 17" Scion wheels on my prius, the 17's fit the car very nicely and match the wheel well opening curve as well.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Any change at all that you make to the car in wheel sizes, exterior shape ect; will affect it in some way and probably not for the good. But afterall, cars are a personal thing so whatever pleases you go ahead and do. Then take your "lumps." Jut don't expect any improvement in performance. (but maybe in your imagination) Toyota spent years and a lot of money getting it "just right."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts