Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are most american automakers focusing soley on designing hybrid systems for their trucks and SUVs?

Wouldn't the massive weight and size, coupled with the lack of aerodynamic shape, pretty much negate the benefits of hybrid system in a larger truck or SUV compared to that which is installed in the Prius, Civic, or Insight?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually, the bigger the vehicle, the better hybrid systems seem to work. With a big truck or SUV, it's the weight that's the major problem, and economy is much improved with regenerative braking. For example, the Nissan diesel-ultracap hybrid truck (which is, predictably, only on sale in Japan) boasts a 50% improvement in fuel economy over the standard truck.

It's also worth pointing out that hybridising one truck or bus will save as much fuel/CO2 as hybridising 10 cars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It could also be that the American automakers have finally accepted the fact that they can't make a hybrid coupe or sedan that will be a match for the Honda and Toyota designs. So, they're concentrating on the SUV market, which is huge in this country.

I don't care why they're doing it, I just want to see hybrid choices in every vehicle class. Then, every vehicle consumer will be able to buy a hybrid, regardless of their vehicle needs (e.g. cargo capacity, cabin size, ego size...).

Douglas (2002 Silver, Wisconsin)

·
Registered
5 Posts
dhickerson said:
Why are most american automakers focusing soley on designing hybrid systems for their trucks and SUVs?

Wouldn't the massive weight and size, coupled with the lack of aerodynamic shape, pretty much negate the benefits of hybrid system in a larger truck or SUV compared to that which is installed in the Prius, Civic, or Insight?
American motor companies are concerned about MONEY. You make ALOT of money off of SUV's. GM+Ford+D/C cut the content of cars to make more money. Price them close to the Japanese cars, then entice you with a $3000 rebate. What people don't understand is they aren't worth sticker price or even the price with the rebate. Japanese car companies know you can make a good car and make money

·
Registered
111 Posts
rebate waltz

Could someone please explain to me the value of a rebate? I have just paid substantial taxes on money that I get back??? Why can't they just take it off the sticker price? Less to play in taxes...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: rebate waltz

leebek said:
Could someone please explain to me the value of a rebate? I have just paid substantial taxes on money that I get back??? Why can't they just take it off the sticker price? Less to play in taxes...
Hey, you're not allowed to use reasoning when considering the offers of the major car manufacturers :evil:

You're just supposed to see the fact that by buying this here fine automobile, they'll put a wad-o-cash in your pocket. Pay no attention to the usery rates they're charging you for that addition to your loan. How are they supposed to feed their kids if you see through all their evil schemes :cry:

G

·
0 Posts

leebek said:
I think it is that in fact you are paying full price for the car. THEN they give you their fantastic rebate. Makes it much more apealing in my book :?

·
Registered
623 Posts

leebek said:
It's quite simple and logical, really: It's easier to put a rebate on, take it off, or change it, than it is to adjust the sticker price. It lets them change the price rapidly in response to market factors or inventory issues.

And they don't care that you have to pay tax on the rebate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts