Toyota Prius Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while leaving a parking lot at Wal-Mart and temporaily stopped to let-off my wife, a middle age male approached my car and shouted
"Why did you buy that Prius piece of crap? Why didn't you buy an AMERICAN-made car built by AMERICAN workers!"

Before I had a chance to respond, he walked away and got in his big Dodge Ram HEMI Crewcab 4WD.

What should I have responded (if anything)? What would you say to him? :oops:

·
Registered
54 Posts
DavePrius said:
Yesterday while leaving a parking lot at Wal-Mart and temporaily stopped to let-off my wife, a middle age male approached my car and shouted
"Why did you buy that Prius piece of crap? Why didn't you buy an AMERICAN-made car built by AMERICAN workers!"

Before I had a chance to respond, he walked away and got in his big Dodge Ram HEMI Crewcab 4WD.

What should I have responded (if anything)? What would you say to him? :oops:
All people are different and have different tastes. Just laugh it off, then ignore him.

If you're really looking to speak back, tell him the reason why... everyone has different reasons when they bought their prius.. "Well it is great for the enviornment, and i think the technology is exciting. Wanna go for a ride, and I'll show you?" That'd be my response....

On the other hand, I was at the post office yesterday, and walked past a guy getting into a HCH, and i said, "What do you need a hybrid for?" I know he saw me walking from a distance from the prius. He laughed, and we talked for a few minutse.

·
Registered
581 Posts
if I am not mistaken, all large Dodge trucks are built in Mexico...

...and the main company is run by people one-step removed from NAZIs

just some fodder for you :twisted:

·
Registered
919 Posts
According to the news yesterday regarding the GM layoffs, 2 Toyota plants are here in the U.S. with American employees. They're doing well, if I understand correctly, partly because union issues aren't a factor. Is this true? (I'm all for unions considering I belong to the AFT, but acknowledge there can be demands which can get out of hand.)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hmmm, he complains that YOU bought a product not made in America, But who is the largest importer of Chinese products?

Hint: rhymes with Mall Wart.

·
Registered
40 Posts
evander said:
According to the news yesterday regarding the GM layoffs, 2 Toyota plants are here in the U.S. with American employees. They're doing well, if I understand correctly, partly because union issues aren't a factor. Is this true? (I'm all for unions considering I belong to the AFT, but acknowledge there can be demands which can get out of hand.)
Most of the problem comes from the generous benefits negotiated for by unions, given to the retirees of the American car companies. A large portion of the profit from each car sold goes to fund these benefits. The Japanese companies do not have this problem yet. There was a long article in the Wall Street Journal about this last month. At least thats the American car companies excuse of why they are having problems.

·
Registered
619 Posts
DavePrius said:

What should I have responded ?
Look deep inside your soul. Then ask yourself if he's right and if you;ve helped ccontribute to the fall of the American economy and companies like GM.

Perhaps he had a point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fishantlers, Do you buy only American Products produced and manufactured by American's?

I probably wouldn't have said anything to the guy, but just laughed at him as I drove by.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I feel sorry for the American workers, but if more people buy cars like the Prius, we will help reduce our dependence on oil and help get the prices to fall. That means helping people on fixed incomes in the cold parts of the country pay for oil to heat their homes. That's just as noble an act as buying American to help the workers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
why is the "country" we live in the determinant? should I only buy cars made in Minnesota? in my county? in my city?

what's wrong with the "earth" as my defined economy?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Then ask yourself if he's right and if you;ve helped ccontribute to the fall of the American economy and companies like GM. "

Would these be those same "American" companies that are pushing for globalization?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd just shrug it off. I drove my old Nissan pickup truck on a 6-week XC trip between college in NC and grad school in WA state and it broke down in a tiny town in northwest Texas. Now THAT was an experience. "We don't work on them fern cars here".

There are so many arguments, but when someone is seeing things that black and white, green isn't going to make much impression.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My favorite faux pax in this regard was years ago, when Hillary Clinton was criticized for driving a foriegn car, a Mercedes.

So she went out and bought an "American" car...

a Ford...

a Canadian-built Ford Crown Victoria!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fish_antlers said:
Look deep inside your soul. Then ask yourself if he's right and if you;ve helped ccontribute to the fall of the American economy and companies like GM.

Perhaps he had a point.
Main Entry: cap·i·tal·ism
Pronunciation: 'ka-p&-t&l-"iz-&m, 'kap-t&l-, British also k&-'pi-t&l-
Function: noun
: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

Last time I looked, this was the system in the US. Notice it mentions competition in a free market. Not one mention of protectionism. If the American companies make cars that people want, they will buy them. If people buy cars they don't want, simply because they are American, then the quality of those cars will decline over time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why did you buy that Prius piece of crap?
Do you suppose folks who drive a Lexus, (a Porsche..or..? ) ever hear this stuff..?
What is it about the Prius that arouses such strange behavior...?

·
Registered
344 Posts
the american market needs competition.

by buying foreigh if that's what you feel is your best choice, you are challenging american companies to compete.

this improves american products and promotes american innovations.

by now, with out current political policy, we're so far behind in everything it's just embarrassing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"Look deep inside your soul. Then ask yourself if he's right and if you;ve helped ccontribute to the fall of the American economy and companies like GM.

Perhaps he had a point."
Fish-antlers

I'd buy a GM car if they made one that I liked. While Toyota has been perfecting Hybrid technology, and producing excellent cars in every category, GM sues and lobbies the government to avoid mileage and emissions regulations, and has no offerings in this category or even close. I sympathise with GM's labor cost problem, but their big problem is bad business decisions. They are the ones who originated the idea of a car in for every market niche. Now they have a car for every one who wants an unreliable gas guzzler.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.