Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it because:

1.- MPG
2.- Look and coolness
3.- Affordable B6 package
4.- Fame

Other factors came along with the time but did not determine my purchase ultimate decision.
[/b]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you are right

When you are right you right...This time you are right about complete package code.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My reasons in order of importance:

1) Reducing my personal contribution to America's dependence on foreign oil.

2) Reducing my personal contribution to smog forming pollutants that plague the Portland area each summer.

3) Personal protest to the bigger, faster and less efficient mentality of Detroit automakers.

4) The stress relief that pure electric mode has made in the stop-and-crawl traffic that is my daily commute.

5) The functionality and interior space with the hatchback.

6) Yes, the Prius is COOL 8)

In all the non-Prius forums that I participate in, I am constantly at odds with folks who argue that one can save more MONEY by purchasing a (fill in the blank with a standard economy vehicle) . Few, if any, get my points that making the world a better place is everyone's responsibility.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the point

The point:

If a galon of gasoline cost 25 cents, do you buy a Prius?

Answer here_______________!!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: the point

rmarchena said:
The point:

Yes, because after I fill it with $0.25/gallon gas, I and my kids, and someday their kids (lookout world) will still have to live in and breathe the atmosphere, drink the water, and eat the plants and animals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you know

Do you know how long ago the water combustion car was invented?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Super Ultra Low Emissions

Fuel Mileage

Cool Factor

Interior Design --> Storage Space, funky design (how often can you say that of a Toyota?)

Interior Space

SKS!! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts

melgish said:
rmarchena said:
The point:

Yes, because after I fill it with $0.25/gallon gas, I and my kids, and someday their kids (lookout world) will still have to live in and breathe the atmosphere, drink the water, and eat the plants and animals.
Ditto...

The price of gasoline was not a consideration for me when I ordered my Prius. If simply saving money were my goal, I'd have bought a $13,000 Corolla and $10,000 worth of gasoline (which at the time would have been enough for around 175,000 miles).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: do you know

rmarchena said:
Sure, that was before the turn of the century. And a wonderful car it was too. But it's all rather outdated now that the clearly far superior IMP motor is available. According to the website, these will be available within two years, so expect to see Prius and other hybrid sales plummet!

Well, unless big oil supresses this like they do all other good automotive ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Commute 80 miles a day
Gas in CA, $2.50 (currently, will continue to increase over time)

Jeep - 17 mpg, $250 month
Prius - 48 mpg, $88 month

Interest paid per month on $31,000 prius - $12,000 Jeep sale - $90 month

Making money each month. :lol:

Nice side benefits, less foreign oil, less pollutants.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: do you know

rmarchena said:
Do you know how many are for sale in the United States today?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought my 05 Prius not because of any anticipated savings.
Yes, spending less on gas is fine, and the tax deduction is great too.

I bought the Prius because I believe we need to reduce our consumption of prime energy based on non-renewable resources.
I bought the Prius, because IMHO it is the first car that makes a significant step in the right direction, in a package that is extremely driveable, and user friendly, and reliable. It is a car that in many respects I would consder driving anyway, mileage aside.
In addition, I bought the Prius because the HSD is the first major redesign of automotive propulsive systems in a long, long time. It is the first ICE based propulsive system to address the issue of running ICEs at higher thermal efficiency. I want to support this approach.
I bought my Prius because hydrogen fuel cell proponents are barking up the wrong tree (unless HFC are combined with other technologies).
Reducing fossil fuel use is what matters most to me.

Along the same lines (sorry for the plug here) I get my home electricity from Green Mountain Energy 100% wind

·
Registered
298 Posts
I first considered it because of the high millage. When I started looking at them, the '04 models were being released and I liked the look of them. After the test drive, I knew it was a much better car than what I had ... in every single area. Once I learned how low the emmisions were, I was able to convince my wife the few thousand dollers more was worth it.

I've never regretted that decision ... espcially when I find myself driving next to one of those stupid H2's. I know that I'm helping to offset those good for nothing, status boosting, visibility blocking, gas sucking, ... (you get the point) SUV's! It really bugs me that they are STILL a hot ticket item to so many Americans. I could say something political here, but I'll stop...

·
Registered
54 Posts
- Sealth Mode
- Novelty
- Fascination with the implementation of the conservation of energy in the vehicle combined with it's seeming practivality
- anticipated resale value

Being conscientiously green is fantastic. I believe noone will argue with that. However, thereofere promote, mass transit initiatives (bussing, trains, vehicle occupancy toll discounts, and Hov lanes),.

·
Registered
186 Posts

rmarchena said:
The point:

Not a chance. I buy a powerful V8 that gets 20 mpg highway.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts