Toyota Prius Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just be sure you have sufficient cold cranking amps and the battery is sealed to avoid corrosion problems. Bigger is not a problem if you don't overdo it too much.
Could cranking amps????!!!

Not from this battery, the engine is started form the traction battery, not the 12v battery. That is why a lawn mower battery will work. The 12v battery only operates the start up system electronics. The Prius is not "started", the Prius is turned on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Digital Paradize is the best digital marketing course in delhi because: They provide practical and job-oriented training by latest industry experts.
I really like to learn from them because of their basic concept of teaching which includes real time experience of working online and how to generate online income from Digital marketing.
They are working in this field since 1999, they started with SEO & SMO Before it became as important factor for ranking websites. Because of their experience they have a better understanding of search engine algorithms and how to rank websites on google and other search engines.
Their training is so much useful that i am getting placement offers immediately after completing the course.
Smile Sleeve Happy Gesture Font

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't know if you have replaced your 12v battery yet, but check this Web site. In the last few years, we purchased two batteries from them for our 2002 Prius. Also, just because the batteries are small, they don't last longer. Our "Miata" batteries only lasted about 3-4 years each due to the extreme heat in the desert southwest (Phoenix) area. You might have better luck with the Optima's, though; I think they are a better battery than the Miata-type battery that was the previous replacement for Gen I Prius's.

Specializing in: dictionaries including the Collins Cobuild, Oxford English Dictionary (OED), Webster's & Random House. auto parts, study skills and life improvement

Note to Paul01: You can hook up a portable starter battery to a dead 12v battery to get the electronics started. It's just like jump starting a regular car; you just don't need near as much capacity, because you are only providing power to the hybrid computer electronics.
Our 2010 Prius 12v battery quit working and I picked up a spare snapper lawnmower battery and used it to jump the Prius. The guy at Advance Auto said he had never seen as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may be overstepping regarding this 12 v battery in our Prius but just becauses it doesn't fit in the prearranged slot in the trunk - is no reason to pay such an outrageous price for their air vented battery.

It is a nicely sealed area for the battery but it erks me to see them screwing us on this setup.

I have owned other Toyotas and a group 24 battery was usually the norm.

I have looked in the 12v battery area and it seems to me that there is plenty of room for a bigger battery - but just because it is a Hybrid why can't I use another size battery?

Or are we all suppose to be so rich that it doesn't matter that we are getting screwed?

Anyway, I have a 2008 Prius that I paid $35,000 for because of the grap when gas went up to $4 a gal. It was a real rip off but at the time I decided to buy a Prius with all the bells and whistles.

A battery that last only 4 years is a definite a goof up for this great car - and yet I hear only minor belly aching - With this scientific marvel and a crapy battery seems like a bridge to nowhere.

Whew, now that I got that off my chest - I can now consider whether I want to buy the Optima for $235.09 or try doing my own modifications for a group 24 for about $50 or so. Maybe even 2 or 3 motorcycle batteries in parallel. They are small and more adjustable.

Any suggestions or reasons not to use another type batteries would be welcomed.
A lot of batteries can " sort of fit . Most automotive batteries need high CCA to start an engine , a prius needs a different type of battery , basically a deep cycle battery, as the prius does not have a starter motor , high, CCA is not required , and is of no value
The correct battery , either a oem or equivalent will give you many years service . If you fit a " normal " battery, it will fail after very little service .
Buy the right battery , swallow the bitter price pill , it is well worth it , and much cheaper in the medium and long term.
I have avery second hand 2004 prius , .bought cheap , had to rebuild the main traction battery , and replace the 12 volt battery , and solve other problems, caused by previous owner doing silly things .
My prius is now very reliable , excellent ride and gives me 5.5 liters per 100 klm , which is equivalent to42 .7 US miles per gallon , the engine does not like fully synthetic oil , it runs best on semi synthetic oil. Does not need topping up the engine oil between service .. wonderful car

21 - 24 of 24 Posts