Why we picked a Prius
Lindy: Here (in no particular order) is why we picked the Prius.
- My wife and I are "empty nesters" and wanted to get back to one car.
- My wife's commute involves a large number of surface streets.
- I am employed as a computer programmer. (See "Reasons" for why this is significant.
Reasons we decided on the Prius:
- Extremely maneuverable on city streets. (Small size, easy to park, excellent turning radius.)
- Excellent visibility
- Good mileage for the type of driving we typically do. (Lots of "stop and go".) So far we are seeing about 46mpg (as measured by the display) for our driving pattern, and we are extemely pleased. By the way, we also looked at the Honda Civic Hybrid, and this city mileage is what attracted us to the Prius vs the HCH.
- High "geek factor"... touch screen, "drive by wire", advanced electronics, electric/gas drive (This line item is what initially drew me to the car.
- Low emissions
- Lots of nice extras included ("set and forget" cabin temperature, remote door locks, anti-theft system)
- One time tax write off. ($2000 reduction in AGI)
- Found a great Toyota dealer who was patient and low pressure.
- Dealer is easy walking distance from where I work. Means I can take wife to work, drive to dealership for service, leave the car there for the day and pickup when I'm done at work.
- All service free for 1st 30000+ miles. (Including oil changes!)
On the "con" side, our list was:
- No split rear seat.
- Small trunk (Issues for us given this is our only car.)
- You do pay a premium compared to buying something like a Corolla with similar options.
Hope that helps. (I'm sure everyones list will be a little different, but these were the issues for us.)