Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my new Coastal E-Tech EV kit today, and made a boo-boo.

Installing the taps was no problem. The 'tapped' plugs work great.

It's the third wire that didn't want to go in. The one that plugs into the empty receptacle in the plug (location 27.) I tried following the directions in steps 7 and 8, and it shows pushing up the 'white bar'. I wasn't able to get the white bar to push up at all. I did insert a thin-bladed screwdriver under it, thinking it didn't need to slide very far (the directions do say "it only needs to move a fraction of an inch".) So I inserted the third wire, and it didn't go in very far. I figured maybe that was as far as it needed to go, so I tried out the EV mod. Nope. Wouldn't go into EV mode no matter what I did.

So I opened it back up, and tried again, got it to insert a little farther by wiggling it with a pair of needlenose pliers, but just as I was satisfied, *SNAP*. The little pin/plug broke. (See attached pic.) At least I got the end out of the computer plug, so when I find/get a replacement end to that wire, I can try again. I've emailed Coastal to see what they recommend. I tried going to Radio Shack to get a new crimp-plug-end, but they don't have anything that looks right. :-(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Check the phone book in your area for an electronic surplus / supply store.

If you're lucky enough to have one nearby, pins like these are just the sort of thing that get dumped off in quantity...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know of one, but I was too late to hit them same-day. I'm heading out there today. (Norvac Electronics in Beaverton, Oregon, for those who care. :) )

·
Registered
623 Posts
Take a look at this article for how to get some extra pins from the car itself. It's the DIY-from-scratch EV mod, but includes where to get the pins.

Then "all" you'd have to do is solder one onto the wire. I imagine this will not be an easy job, given the small size of the wire.

I, too, had a very hard time with the white bar. I got the pin to go in flush, but suspect it was supposed to go in a bit farther, and then I could not get the bar to lock back down. I'm hoping that the socket itself holds the bar in place.

·
Registered
149 Posts
EV mode pins

I did the EV mode from the headlite flasher and yes, follow the link from Daniel to those instructions. They tell you how and where to get 2 pins like what u need from the headlite flasher harness in the steering column. Was not hard to do, but again, things are fairly delicate, take your time and you can get those 2 pins out. you've already paid for them and they are not doing anything for ya...yet! Good luck. EV mode is such a kick, even in its limitations. Love my Prius!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Other than being very careful and taking your time;

Have a tool handy for pressing the pin into the socket. Costal's instructions suggest a screwdriver, but this can only push the pin flush (which was as far as I got it, and I am concerned about this). You'll want something tiny, maybe the dimensions of a toothpick but more sturdy. An eyeglasses screwdriver might be small enough. I'm not sure.

Also, it was very hard for me to get the larger dashboard panel off. I still don't know how to get it off properly. Maybe someone could post instructions for how to do it properly, because Costal's instructions were not helpful for me. I finally got it by brute force, but I'm sure that should not have been necessary.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daniel said:
Also, it was very hard for me to get the larger dashboard panel off. I still don't know how to get it off properly. Maybe someone could post instructions for how to do it properly, because Costal's instructions were not helpful for me. I finally got it by brute force, but I'm sure that should not have been necessary.
You mean the top panel that the A/C vent is in? I found that if you start from the bottom, pushing it *up* then out, it comes off more easily. Once the bottom is released, you pull the whole assembly straight out and up. (I disassembled those panels about four times in ten minutes trying to get it to work, so I've become rather good at it.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts