Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has gotten the most miles per tank?

Who has gotten the most mpg?(at what speed, est. temp, duration)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
SyZyGy said:

I've gotten 99+ mpg for over 4 miles, at speeds ranging from 15 mpg to 50 mph. (Down a large hill, about one mile at 50 mph, then slow neighborhood streets where I could keep it in EV mode due to the full battery, then another large hill and more neighborhood streets.)

Miles per tank is a dangerous number. "Competing" for it could have people running out of gas, and possibly discharging the HV battery too far, damaging the hybrid system. Highest MPG for a full (8+ gallons) tank would be a better competitive measurement. (And that's what greenhybrid.com keeps track of, there is a 'notes' field where you can make notes about your tank.)

My best 'drive' so far has been a freeway drive from Salem, OR to Portland (about 45 miles of fairly flat driving,) where I got 56 miles per gallon. The day before, with my wife driving (she usually gets WORSE mileage,) from Portland to Eugene, OR, she got 52 mpg (over about 100 miles.) Both drives were at 55-70 mph. (The rural interstate speed limit in Oregon is 65, 55 in cities [just raised to 60 in select cities, but the signs haven't been posted yet.])

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mpg

ehurtley, yes that is a better way of restating it. At what mph does the ICE kick in from runing in EV mode?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean 'true' EV mode (via a switch,) I mean just plain 'running on electric only'. From what I understand, when in the true EV mode, the ICE kicks in if you exceed 35 mph. (or maybe it's at 35.) In 'running on electric only', (i.e. not EV by switch, just driving carefully,) I've gone as fast as 62 mph on a slight downhill on the freeway and the display has said that only battery power was going to the wheels. But, again from what I understand, the ICE will at least spin without gas when you exceed 42mph, because the electric motor can't handle going any faster than that, so the ICE would need to take up some of the rotational energy.

On level terrain, I have gotten up to 40 on electric power alone. (Also, the lower the battery charge, the more likely it is to use the ICE. On one or two bars, it's almost impossible to make the car move forward on battery power alone, even downhill.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ev Mode

Do you think that the EV mode(switch mod) would void my warranty? B/c its easy to remove too. Would it put an extra strain on the battery?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We could still have a miles-per-tank competition. Just make it part of the rules that if you run out of gas, you:

A) are disqualified immediately

B) must buy the beer

C) must pay for the first-place winner's next oil change

:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
SyZyGy said:

I've gotten 99+ mpg for over 4 miles, at speeds ranging from 15 mpg to 50 mph. (Down a large hill, about one mile at 50 mph, then slow neighborhood streets where I could keep it in EV mode due to the full battery, then another large hill and more neighborhood streets.)
I had multiple periods with a reported 99+ mpg over 30+ minutes on my Portland/Yosemite/Reno/Portland trip a few weeks ago. Coming down from the Tioga Pass in Yosemite (9945 feet); coming down into Reno; & coming down from the Cascades into the Williamette Valley. You can get some long downhill stretches....

Of course, the 20-30 mpg getting to the top of the hill somewhat balances everything out...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I typically get 500 miles out of a tank of gas (10 gallons).
Gas milage varies from 47 to 53 MPG. I do a lot of country driving (45-55 MPH) with some freeway driving.

8) So getting 500 miles out of a tank of gas, under normal driving conditions for most owners is quite do-able.

:arrow: Don't do any driving over 70 mph. MPG starts to drop off rapidly when you drive at speeds above 65 MPH.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
600+

I typically get at least 600 miles per tank, with 10.75 gal typically used.
I determined that the MFD is about 2.6% higher than actual MPG. I use that to calculate gallons used based on miles on the tank, and put that amount in.

I could go over how I came to 2.6%, but that probably should go to a new post, or a reply to a few related posts.

By the way, when I do get to 600 miles, the last pip is blinking.

Come to think of it, I will have to check my record book. I may have exceeded 11 gallons, though I am sure I had at least 1/2 gal left. At 53 MPG, thats a bit close.

·
Registered
181 Posts
there is a guy from TX on the Priuschat.com site that got 763 on a tank of gas a few months ago.

the guy who got 900 miles on a tank did so under unrealistic circumstances. he drove 35 mph the whole time. even during 100º heat he would not use the air conditioning. and he ran out of gas, so he would be disqualified in the competition anyways.

The guy from TX did his by driving moderately but still reasonably. he did not have time to devote to getting max mileage from the tank as most of his driving was to work and back. so i would take his as being acceptable.

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4388

1 - 15 of 15 Posts