Toyota Prius Forum banner

Have you had any problems when filling your Prius with gas?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rarely

• Occasionally

• Same as any other car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a number of threads discussing problems filling the Prius with gas related to the internal bladder. As a potential Prius owner (an '06 on order for after 12/31), I'm curious whether this filling problem is a commonly experienced issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tomel said:
I've seen a number of threads discussing problems filling the Prius with gas related to the internal bladder. As a potential Prius owner (an '06 on order for after 12/31), I'm curious whether this filling problem is a commonly experienced issue.
I have - And I've noticed a couple of trends... It is only some stations it does it at... and it happens for a while and then goes away. The easiest way for me to get around it was to not pull back on the handle all the way and let it go in slowly. You have to use your brain as to not overfill the tank - for example if you've gone 400 miles, it may be good to stop at 7.5 or 8 gallons.

These things could just be me..

It really isn't a big deal to me... So I spend an extra 20 seconds filling up the car once in a while. Big deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We never have any problem filling our 05 with gas. The gauge seems a little pessimistic, though, but if you just plan on filling up after you go 400 miles, you can't go wrong. It usually takes about 8 gallons to fill up after 400 miles! :D

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I had overflow once, and since then I only add one gallon after shutoff. No further problems in 18K miles. But then, this is a warm climate (SoCal), so the bladder probably stays flexible.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
On my US 2001, if I go to the easiest to drive to pump (which I often do, creature of habit and laziness that most humans are) at the nearby Mobil station, I have to keep restarting the pump every gallon or so because of early emission trap shutoff. If I remember and go to about any other pump at the same station, I have no problems, nor any problems at the local Hess station either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think you needed one or two more categories: "More than other cars" and "IT TAKES FOREVER TO FILL THIS *@#$%& THING!" You can count me in the latter group.

I love Phoebe but I hate feeding time. I swear I should carry a thimble with me because that's all she can take at one time.
I've had her back to the dealer and he says there's nothing wrong. Yeah riiiiiight.

But, like I said, I love her for her many good qualities so I can put up with this one bad habit of hers. I wouldn't give her up for anything in this world.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The only problem I've noticed is that sometimes the nozzle is actually difficult to remove after the pump has shut off. I do get a somewhat variable fill level which I assume is due to the bladder and varying weather conditions but i don't consider that a problem.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
In CA, I have never experienced the problem at all. When I drove across the country and back, I ran into several stations/areas where the pump would shut off after maybe 1/10th of a gallon. I couldn't fill the car up at those pumps. I drove to other pumps in the same station and sometimes had luck. If that didn't work, then I went to a nearby station and that seemed to work. I have not had the problem since I got back to CA. I'm thinking it is something about the prius filler that has problems under some certain conditions (rather than the car being unpredictable itself).

·
Registered
40 Posts
More than occasionaly, everytime. I drive 400 miles at 50+ mpg and the pump will shut off around 6 - 6.5 gallons everytime. I think it should hold at least 8 gallons so I force another 1.5 - 2 gallons in. Never had an overflow. If I don't continue to fill to 8 gallons, the Low Fuel Warning and blinking last bar will start at around 325 miles. I have an early (Oct. 03) 2004 model, I think they are the worst about this sort of problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's no different than any other car I have ever owned (about 10). Some of these guys get a little excited about things. It is nothing to even guve a second thought to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not had a problem yet....only on my second tank though... :roll:

I did notice the nozzle was snug getting into the filler neck. Seems like there was some sort of gasket in there or something. What is this bladder everyone is talking about?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have never experienced any problems filling the tank. I noticed when I first got the car that the pump was a little harder to detach after filling because of an apparently tighter seal but I've adjusted to it and it doesn't seem like a problem any more. I don't top off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've never had overfill problems but there are several pumps in the area that routinely click off *way* early. I had one click off after only 2 gallons were added when I'd driven more than 300 miles.

I routinely add gas slowly (about 10 seconds per gallon maximum).

·
Registered
298 Posts
hyperion said:
Sounds like if you have any problem at all, it is a pump problem. I've never found a bad pump.
I don't think this is a pump problem. It's pretty consistent across a wide variety of stations, brands, etc. And I've had this problem in TN, KY, VA, WV, PA and IN. The dealer says it's working the way it should, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
exactly! Technique. As with most any other car I have filled up, you have to start the flow as slowly as you can and increase it little by little. I can usually get it up to full speed until just before full.

·
Registered
298 Posts
TheProgrammerGuy said:
exactly! Technique. As with most any other car I have filled up, you have to start the flow as slowly as you can and increase it little by little. I can usually get it up to full speed until just before full.
When you do this, does the pump click off?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts