Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've always wanted to replace my 29 mpg car with one that got at least 45 mpg. That was mostly to do my little part to reduce consumption of foreign oil. An Insight would have been best choice for that reason (alone). But the reduced emissions, and fact I could take 5 people instead of 2 (which isn't often) was a strong reason to choose the Prius.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
'Utility' was my #1 reason: Can the car carry a family of four (one infant,) a golden retriever, and a healthy amount of 'gear'? The Prius (with its hatchback) is a winner here. (Over a Civic Hybrid.)

Safety was #2: Is it safer than the average new car? Yes. With additional airbags, and stability control, it's a very safe car.

Environment was #3: We seriously considered a Jetta TDI wagon to fuel with biodiesel, but the difficulty of buying biodiesel was beat by the simplicity of plain old gas in a hybrid. More than enough to balance out the extra 'utility' of carrying capacity in the Jetta wagon. (We may end up getting a used TDI wagon to replace both our Ford Explorer and the small 'commuter car' Hyundai Accent that my wife is driving.)

Financial incentives were #4: This includes mileage, and the fact that the more expensive Prius' insurance is about 50% that of the $10,000 cheaper Hyundai Elantra GT that was also considered a 'finalist'. (The Insight was ruled out at 'utility'.)

Political statement was #5: The Jetta TDI on biodiesel would have been a greater political statement, but there was some consideration. I contemplated a custom license plate of 'NO OPEC', but decided against it because I drive the Prius to appointments, and probably shouldn't piss any customers off.

'Geek-Factor' was #6: If the dealer had been willing to compromise by just $200 more, we would have gotten the top-end package with navigation and Bluetooth; but even the 2004 package 7 we got has plenty of gadgetry for me.

As for other vehicles? Well, if we ever win the lottery, my wife wants a Hummer. I'd insist that she get an H1, and convert it to run on greasel, making it probably the most environmentally friendly Hummer on the planet. (Double-checking, it appears that the linked-to company has already converted at least one Hummer...) And if I won the lottery, I'd also convert a Enzo Ferrari to an electric vehicle, a la the tzero

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I am TOTALLY in sync with MtnTraveler!!

And I also agree with ehurtley's 6 reasons (WITHOUT his own explanations, EXCEPT for #1 & #2). However, for myself, I would swap positions of #3 with #1 (my #1 is the environment).

Also, in my case, besides the $2,000 Federal income deduction, I saved a bonus of about $1,400 of Ct sales tax not collected (full purchase of the Prius is completely exempt of all Ct sales tax charges). Add these bonuses to his/my #4.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
03Jill said:
Just wondering how many people out there bought their cars mostly for the environment and less for the MPG?

At least one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
purchase reason

Also polution emission reduction #1 reason. Moved into the smoggy LA area, wanted to minimize my contribution. The mpg was a pleasant surprise because I did not form an expectation based on EPA test results.

DAS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thomme said:
Geek factor, fuel economy, carpool privileges, environment, cup holders.
OK, so the cup holders aren't so revolutionary.
My previous car was a 1993 Chevy Lumina equipped with.... ZERO CUP HOLDERS!

Who designs a car with no cup holders?! Really!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yup. My first car ('94 Daihatsu Charade - $4995 NEW) wasn't exactly what you'd call luxuriously appointed. The 99-cent hang-on-the-window cup holder brought up the resale value a bit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cupholders... I joke about that quite a bit. I have never had cupholders. My '84 Volvo was cupholderless! Oh well, I don't feel the compelling need to drink anyway. In fact, the whole coffee ritual cracks me up! Anyway if this car ever shows up, I'll have cupholders, electric windows, CD player, and (maybe) everything else that actually *works* instead of being broken.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
Cupholders... I joke about that quite a bit. I have never had cupholders. My '84 Volvo was cupholderless! Oh well, I don't feel the compelling need to drink anyway. In fact, the whole coffee ritual cracks me up! Anyway if this car ever shows up, I'll have cupholders, electric windows, CD player, and (maybe) everything else that actually *works* instead of being broken.
Mtn, everything works in mine...And after 3 days, let me tell you...This is a special car! :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Better MPG to me is BETTER for the environment. I do a 1-2 hour commute each way to Los Angeles 5 days a week. My sister's car averages 20 mpg, I'm getting about 50mpg now with my Prius. My BF and I are environment conscious and believe the great emission ratings as well as gasoline consumption (the less used the better) does great things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
HOV access was the overriding factor for me (though I do carpool most days anyway). The good gas mileage, and the eco-friendly aspect of the car are nice, but its very unlikely I would have bought the Prius without the HOV access.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Phish Phood said:
Better MPG to me is BETTER for the environment. I do a 1-2 hour commute each way to Los Angeles 5 days a week. My sister's car averages 20 mpg, I'm getting about 50mpg now with my Prius. My BF and I are environment conscious and believe the great emission ratings as well as gasoline consumption (the less used the better) does great things.
I am glad you stated the obvious. MPG and environment are linked. I bought for the combination of great MPG and P-ZEV.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[Why don't you make this a poll versus something that's going to turn into a long thread?]

I don't know how to start a poll, That is a good idea.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.