Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting the EV mod. Which is better coastal's or Sigma's. I'm leaning toward Sigma's because I like the look of the EV button better. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Coastal's is invisible without dash disassembly. Your dealer might attempt to void your warrantee with a visible button. I give up the "status" of an EV button, but I don't worry about taking it ot the dealer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Coastal's one is fairly easy to install (Except that stupid orange pin). If you're thinking of getting it, get it soon cause he has stock now and once he runs out, goodness knows how long you'd have to wait (I ordered in April, got it in June/July).

Sigma's version is the OEM version. It requires more work and the whole dash to be disassembled but gives it a nice clean look and eyecandy to those who peer into the driver's side window.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have the Coastal one. The comment about the orange pin is right on. Grrr!

And the confirmation "beep" isn't always audible. Yeah, even so, I'd still get it all over again.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
BIF said:
I have the Coastal one. The comment about the orange pin is right on. Grrr!

And the confirmation "beep" isn't always audible. Yeah, even so, I'd still get it all over again.
I don't use ev much, but when I do, I've got in the habit of switching to the consumption screen first. When it switches back to energy, i know i'm there

·
Registered
319 Posts
KTPhil said:
Coastal's is invisible without dash disassembly. Your dealer might attempt to void your warrantee with a visible button. I give up the "status" of an EV button, but I don't worry about taking it ot the dealer.
Umm, any dealer interested in tracking down warranty violations to save Toyota some money will know about the Coastal mod, play with the cruise control, and still catch people.

The first court trial, where Toyota has to prove an option available outside the US has 'damaged' the car somehow, will be interesting. I hope it makes CourtTV...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
While I agree in principle, I do not want to be the plaintiff in that case! Stealth install for me...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Because

a) Other parts of the world have the EV switch and still have the 8yr/160,00km warranty

b) you can't risk damaging the battery by discharging it cause you can't discharge it by using the EV switch. All you're doing is adding a switch. All the programming is already in the vehicle when it's shipped over here.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You can't discharge it any more than leaving it parked with the system in READY. You can do more potential damage leaving the car in Neutral, as then the car can't charge the HV battery. I believe it will shut down when it reaches 0 bars, but I have been too chicken to test this theory, though I believe the car wash unwittingly may have.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I took my car in a few months back because my CC was not working ... and I have the Coastal EV mod. I was kind of freaking out about it, but they called and said they found the problem. Fortunately, I had discovered that the problem was intermitant and the CC would switch on if the wheel was being turned.

So when they tested the problem, they discovered there was something wrong inside my steering column. I got a rental car for a day while they fixed it. In the end, they never noticed (or commented) on my EV mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts