Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2007 Prius which is XM Satellite Ready. I was informed that I would need to buy an additional receiver and adapter but that I could only purchase from the dealer directly. Does anybody have a cheaper option than going through the dealer and paying outrageously higher prices for an XM Satellite Receiver which is compatible? have ny of you set-up your XM Satellite Radios?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
It does have to be a Toyota receiver, but could be distributed through other aftermarket channels. You couldn't connect just any Sirius radio and expect it to be controlled by the display or steering wheel.
But if you don't care about control, you could send the audio output of any radio through the aux input located in the center console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reciever & Installation

thank you for your responses. I was looking not only for a Toyota Receiver but an autorized installer. I tried the dealer and the receiver was $299.00 and the installation was $299-399 plus tax. I was looking for a better deal, have any of you purchased a XM receiver/know anyone who does? and who was your installer? Thank you for any information you may have.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
$300 is certainly excessive just to install the receiver. Not much to it really. The hard part is routing the wiring. At least it was when the receiver was intended to be mounted in the rear of the vehicle. I think now it mounts behind the dash. Plug one end in the back of the radio, route the antenna, done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I purchased a Vais Tech unit. An initial installation attempt (aborted due to a faulty cable, not the installer's fault) was by Circuit City, $100. I chose to make the second attempt myself. My experience is described here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts