Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a few related questions:

There's a setting I need changed via the scan tool. My local dealer (not where I bought the car) told me standard shop rates apply. I was quoted $75-$100 to change the setting that causes the AC to default to recirc mode.

I was hoping they would do it gratis, since I've been getting all my parts and sevice at the local dealership.

Has anyone been able to get the scantool hooked up without paying through the nose? Isn't there an "adjustment" period? Would the "adjustment" period apply only at the dealer you purchased the car from?

BTW - I've had mine three months (~6000mi).

DGStan

·
Registered
370 Posts
dgstan said:
I have a few related questions:

There's a setting I need changed via the scan tool. My local dealer (not where I bought the car) told me standard shop rates apply. I was quoted $75-$100 to change the setting that causes the AC to default to recirc mode.

I was hoping they would do it gratis, since I've been getting all my parts and sevice at the local dealership.

Has anyone been able to get the scantool hooked up without paying through the nose? Isn't there an "adjustment" period? Would the "adjustment" period apply only at the dealer you purchased the car from?

BTW - I've had mine three months (~6000mi).

DGStan

Good News!

I called the dealer close to my place of work (Power Toyota Irvine) and they'll do it free! They've even got a Service Manager that specializes in the Prius (Terry). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I had the same response from my dealer when I had them turn on passive mode. They claimed it took them two hours to do it, though they were first to advise me of the charge, so it was unauthorized.
Then I found it took Kyle 1 min 20 seconds to duplicate the change, and I found I could have done it myself with a dance.

So, once I get my free set of tires, I am going to look for a new dealer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC default/active mode vs. recirc/passive mode.

What means AC to default to recirc mode/passive mode?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Passive mode refers to the alarm system. When the alarm is configured for passive mode, the alarm will arm 30 seconds after power is turned off and all doors closed, even if they are not locked.

The recirculated option allows the car to automatically put the HVAC to recirculate rather than fresh air if need be for auto AC. Normally it is in auto, but you can have it set to manual where the recirculate setting is not touched if you put the HVAC into auto.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prius's self diagnostics

How extensive is the 2005 Prius's self diagnotic system?
Do owners need an additional Toyota Scan Tool to take care of the car themselves?
Or thirty party diagnostic tool could do a better work getting to know the 2005 Prius for maintenance dutties?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What am I talking about?

How extensive is the 2005 Prius's self diagnotic system?
Please, take a look to:
Toyota Repair Manual Volume 2 - Pages from 05-1769 thru 05-1798

Do owners need an additional Toyota Scan Tool to take care of the car themselves?
Please, take a look to:
Toyota part numbers:
TOY220036 TOYOTA DIAGNOSTI TESTER KIT
01002744 CAN INTERFACE MODULE KIT

Or thirty party diagnostic tool could do a better work getting to know the 2005 Prius for maintenance dutties?
Please, take a look to:
Any OBI-OBII- OBIII Manufactures in USA and overseas.

That is what I am talking about.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sounds like you answered most of your own questions.

Considering there are a lot of specialized items in the Prius not normally in a car, MG1/MG2 HV battery and inverter to name a few, generic scanners would not be very helpful except in dealing with parameters standardized for ICE, mainly for emissions reasons.

The reason I wanted to know what you were talking about, is because there are 3 networks, and about a dozen computers in this car.
The MFD can provide a built-in diagnostic screen for the AV equipment (radio mostly), but that's it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
True Toyota Scan Tool

With a background in electronics, computers, and auto repair, I just had to get a true Toyota Scan Tool with "Factory" software. Cost me about as much as a good used car! Did I mention I also have a NGS Star Scan Tool for my Ford F-150 which does a great job.

My personal opinion is this. For Ford products, you will get a lot of use out of their factory scanner. Most non-dealer shops agree that they see more Ford 'engine lights' than any other make. My F-150 engine light stays on all the time because I refuse to clean the lines to and from the EGR frequently-not a fun job. The plugged lines has no effect on anything that I can tell. Therefore, I just read the computer often to make sure no new codes come in and hardly ever get any new codes except a misfire during seasonal changes-no big deal-just clear the code and go on.

MY person opinion on Prius. The technical services manuals are not well written and difficult at best to understand. This is also true with the scan tool and related manuals. For the most part, you must figure out everything yourself. Good useful Toyota information is available online for an expensive price. Tech Support. ( Dealers have it, of course! ) Therefore I don't recommend anyone getting a scan tool at all for the Prius. My 2005 has 14 computers and the scan tool can access all 14 but little or no useful related technical material is not good. I recently purchased a SmartKey and programmed it for my Prius. The key works the ignition but will not program the doorlocks. I can start and drive the car but cant lock or unlock it! Go figure. I have plently of time to play, so I will figure it out one day.

One last note. Not all scanners are alike. There are Toyota Brand Scanners with firmware thay blocks some programming functions. Wow.
The real test is try the scanner before buying it or get it from someone who knows Toyotas and scanners. I am not sure what I have, but I paid almost $4K so I believe I have all the features, but not sure since I can't program the doorlocks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks..

I feel very confortable with your response. It calrified a lot of my expectations. Very good answer. A lot of thanks...

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
calinkus, Maybe thats why local service managers are having a hard time diagnosing the latest run of engine "stalls.' I'm really surprised as Toyota's manufacturing process leads everyone in the world but their owners and service manuals are probably the worst written I have ever seen.
You would not recommend the purchase of a scanner account of the difficulty using it and I would say "likewise" about the $400. three volume set of service manuals. They are the most difficult to understand of any I have ever seen.
This just might be an explanation of the failure of a correct diagnosis done at the dealers on the first visit.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Calinkus, are you also having problems with powering up the car via Smarkey? Sounds like you programmed the immobilizer, but not the smartkey ECU.

See page 5-2158 of the service manual.
1. Select PRIUS from menu.
2. Select SMART KEY SYSTEM.
3. Select ID UTILITY.
4. Select SMART CODE REG.

It sounds like you only did steps starting on page 5-2324 which refers you to the above steps in addition to the following steps on page 5-2329.
Hand–held tester operation:
1. Select PRIUS from the menu.
2. Select W/ SMART KEY.
3. Select IMMOBILISER.
4. Select ID UTILITY.
5. Select TRANSP CODE REG.
After the above operation, proceed to the next step according to the
prompts on the tester screen.

Getting the manual electronically cost me time more than cash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SmartKey Programming

DanMan32,
RE:After the above operation, proceed to the next step according to the
prompts on the tester screen.

Just my point: poorly written services manuals. The tester screen is all I have to go by for the next step(s). The service manual leaves me hanging.

As I proceed, the tester instructs to press the unlock on a known working master key within 30sec., then next instructs to press the lock and unlock on the new unregistered key for 1sec., then within 3sec. press the unlock. I next get a message that operation did not complete successfully.

I repeated the process many, many times, just in case my timing was outside the limits and I could never get it to complete successfully.

From that point the tester and the service manual assumes all went well.

Seems from a previous post that one dealer sent a Prius owner away with his new key not working the doorlocks. That dealer could not get the process to work either.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Did you press both the lock and unlock at the same time for one second?

Be sure you are in the front seat, as it does have to have the fob respond to the SKS room oscillator.

Do existing keys work the wireless locks?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
This kind of stuff is sort of scary. The service manual is very much like the owners manual in that you finally find the subject you want and then it refers you to another page, many pages away in the manual in another section. To get complete info on any one subject you are forced to skip through several sections of the manual. (manuals)
How the devil do service reps do it? (and it seems as though they have to make many attempts, if their computer is like the printed manuals.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If they are looking at the info online (techinfo), the references have links to the corresponding page. They can print out the required pages and take it to the car.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Evidentially, thats what they are not doing. Can you remember when someone ask's on this site a question that you know you have spotted the answer in the manual but after ten minutes you are forced to give up trying to find cause it's not in the correct section but in a referral.
I really believe Toyota Maintenance USA needs an 800 number with a Japanese speaker and the Japanese service manuals (in japanese) in front of him. Something seems to have become lost in the translation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts