Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At $3 gallon for gas it still cost me 30 bucks to fill the tank of my Prius. It feels good getting over 50 miles per gallon fuel economy. But you do have to fill the tank eventually. And the way gas prices keep on going up with no end in sight. Does concern me, because $3 a gallon in couple of years could be $5 a gallon.

The solution is an electric car. Fuel sources for power generation are much more stable. The reason is that almost all fuel sources are demestic. Hydro, and wind once established have only maitance cost to opperate.

But it seems impossible to get your hands on a production Electric car.
That's changing as you read this. Thier are manufactures right now that are testing prototypes of affordable electric car. Some even estimating that they can sell the car for under $20,000. This is affordable price for the common man.

http://www.evworld.com/evguide.cfm?section=evguide&evtype=production

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The problem with all electric cars is range and recharge times.

Now if they made them as a hybrid where the car was electric unless you needed more range or quick refuel, in which case an ICE would be used, that might be ideal.

However, around here, and many other places, costs of electricity rivals that of gasoline. When gasoline prices rise, eventually so does my cost per kilowatt.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
ebay

couple of RAV4 EVs for sale. One sold for $55k :shock:
HOLY FRACK!!! :shock:

Well, that rules out a RAV4 EV as my next vehicle. My wife and I had seriously been considering one. If we were willing to spend that much, we'd go for a Lexus RX400h. (Although a Ford Escape Hybrid is more within our range at the moment.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
DanMan32 said:
True, except most people actually drive something like 35 miles/day which is well within the range of typical EV conversions. Something like 85% of normal transportation needs could be fulfilled by low-cost ev's using PbA batteries with overnight charging.

DanMan32 said:
Now if they made them as a hybrid where the car was electric unless you needed more range or quick refuel, in which case an ICE would be used, that might be ideal.
I can't wait for plug-ins to become more available!

DanMan32 said:
However, around here, and many other places, costs of electricity rivals that of gasoline. When gasoline prices rise, eventually so does my cost per kilowatt.
If you're paying $.20/kwhr it's the equivalent of a 60 mpg car (assuming 250 watts-hrs/mile and $3/gal. gas.) Most places pay much less than that (not where I live unfortunately) but it's still something to consider. Like you say, when gas prices rise (or it becomes relatively unavailable in a peak oil situation) ev's will start looking pretty darn attractive.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Frank06 said:
DanMan32 said:
True, except most people actually drive something like 35 miles/day which is well within the range of typical EV conversions. Something like 85% of normal transportation needs could be fulfilled by low-cost ev's using PbA batteries with overnight charging.
If one is a two car household, then yes, that would be fine, as the other car could be used for those extended trips. But for single car households that may travel frequently enough beyond the electric only range, a hybrid that uses ICE only on extended trips would be ideal.

Frank06 said:
DanMan32 said:
If you're paying $.20/kwhr it's the equivalent of a 60 mpg car (assuming 250 watts-hrs/mile and $3/gal. gas.) Most places pay much less than that (not where I live unfortunately) but it's still something to consider. Like you say, when gas prices rise (or it becomes relatively unavailable in a peak oil situation) ev's will start looking pretty darn attractive.
I may have mis-estimated the electrical energy per mile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.