Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! Love my new 2005 Prius. However, living in SoCal I notice that the black dash can get pretty hot. While parking, I can put up a sun shade, but no such option when driving!

Where can I get a dash-mat, that would protect it and prevent it from heating up so bad that I (or the electronics in the dash) cook in the hot Summer??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope! Thanks though!

Thanks for the reply, but nothing there for the prius! :(

I was hoping Toyota itself would have one, but no go...

Maybe I have to find a place that would make one custom...

Has anybody else noticed that the large front window and black dash contribute to LOTS of heat? Well, guess not everybody lives in an oven like Santa Clarita CA!

·
Registered
50 Posts
S. Florida top glovebox heats like an oven

In South Florida the sun heats the top glovebox like an oven, and we are not even into our hot season yet. I had to move my cell phone and toll transponder to the lower glovebox due to the heat. The temperatures seem to stay a bit cooler in the lower glovebox.

If you find some kind of Dash Mat to fit the 2005 Prius, please let eveyone know the source. I imagine the double gloveboxes, all the defroster vents, the MFD, etc. will make for a tough fit.

My wife and I had a 1995 Toyota Corolla station wagon with a Dash Mat.
It did reduce the dash heating/cracking, but it was ill-fitting and attached with adhesive that sagged in the heat here. It was not a good solar collector but became a great dust collector.

Happy Owners 2005 Driftwood Prius, 500 miles
Happy Owners 2005 Silver Prius, 7K miles

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
check out front airbag deployment also, although the drawing in the manual potrays it just under the lip of the dash on the passenger side.
The panel top should not get any hotter however than the interior air of the car if the A/C is being used. Parked and left is a different matter and the cover made for the Prius and posted here last summer should work well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good point on the airbag

You make a good point on the passenger airbag...any dash mat would have to allow that to deploy safely. Another reason it would be awesome if Toyota made one...

I did find one place that had ones available for Prius's, but only 2003 and earlier (Gen 1's). :(

The sales person mentioned tinting the windows, but front and front-side tinting is not legal in CA, and unsafe on top of it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
hyperion said:
check out front airbag deployment also, although the drawing in the manual potrays it just under the lip of the dash on the passenger side.
The airbag pops out of the dash top, midway between the windshield and the glovebox, above the glovebox. If you look carefully, you can see the outline of the trap door.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Upon taking a closer look, it hardly seems worth the effort to cover such a small area. The whole top of the dash seems to have to rise to let the front passenger airbag deploy. It is labeled. By the time you have cut enough to allow plenty of air out of the very small vents plus the large opening for the windshield vent, there isn't much room left.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hyperion said:
Upon taking a closer look, it hardly seems worth the effort to cover such a small area. The whole top of the dash seems to have to rise to let the front passenger airbag deploy. It is labeled. By the time you have cut enough to allow plenty of air out of the very small vents plus the large opening for the windshield vent, there isn't much room left.
Rather like a Prius g-string... :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might try dashdesigns.com. I bought mine there for my 2004 and I'm very pleased with it. I would specify the velour fabric, it looks nicer than their other materials. I live in the area and they installed at no charge.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got huper optik 50% tint on my windishield and it has helped immensly here in Florida. shh don't tell anyone. NO distortation at night (or daytime for that matter) - not dark at all - a little darker than normal but it keeps out the radiant? heat very well.

If I have my window down, that sun can be brutal - as soon as I roll it up - its immediately cooler. Of course my windows are tinted a bit darker - not real dark tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got huper optik 50% tint on my windishield and it has helped immensly here in Florida. shh don't tell anyone. NO distortation at night (or daytime for that matter) - not dark at all - a little darker than normal but it keeps out the radiant? heat very well.

If I have my window down, that sun can be brutal - as soon as I roll it up - its immediately cooler. Of course my windows are tinted a bit darker - not real dark tho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Global Accessories has the Prius Dashmat

Hi everybody,

It now looks like Global Accessories carries a Dashmat for the 2005 Prius. The cost is $39.95 (part no 1673-00-25) for no logo and color black

http://www.global-accessories.com/dashmat/index.html

Daniel W. Honzik
Future owner 2005 Salsa Red Prius 8)

·
Registered
257 Posts
melgish said:
jeromep said:
Dash mats may or may not be available. But try here.
http://www.global-accessories.com/dashmat/index.html
What a rediculous storefront. I have to pick out what I want before I can see if it exists...How about I tell you my car, and you list *all* your products that fit...

Who does these web designes?
I didn't have a problem:

Dashboard Cover Selector

Type: DashMat
Year: 2004
Make: TOYOTA
Model: PRIUS
Color:
47 Grey
Options: N/A
Logo: N/A
Monogram: N/A
Notes: N/A
America's #1 dashboard cover!
Adds styling and protection to your vehicle interior
Helps stop dashboard cracks and warping
Reduces hazardous windshield glare
Beautifully finished for a custom look
Every contour is precision fit
Includes openings for passenger side airbags
Easy installation in minutes
Limited Lifetime Warranty
In-dash speakers are NOT cut out of dash covers because the fabrics do not distort sounds. DashMat-like fabrics are often used as speaker covers by most stereo component manufacturers.

Part # Description Unit Price Quantity Order
1673-00-47 DashMat: 2004 TOYOTA PRIUS (47 Grey) Each 39.95

1 - 19 of 19 Posts