Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the maintance required for the prius. All I can find is change oil , rotate tires and inspect brakes every 5K miles
replace air filter and cabin filter every 30K miles.
That's it ?
No change auto transmission fluid?
no change transmission filter?
No replace timing belt?
No change fuel filter?

Is this some kind of a super car? (no maintance)

Does anybody have any other info on required maintance?

Thanks for you help.
DC

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Is this some kind of a super car? (no maintance)"

Yes, that's how I explain it to interested persons. Makes it far easier than trying to describe the PSD, the two electric motors, the battery, the coolant thermos, the smart key, the touchscreen, stealth mode, 50 MPG, 0-60 in 10 seconds, yadda, yadda, yadda!

Maintenance (or lack thereof) is indicitive of a smart, super-car.

And to think this is just the beginning...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
finman said:
"Is this some kind of a super car? (no maintance)"

Yes, that's how I explain it to interested persons. Makes it far easier than trying to describe the PSD, the two electric motors, the battery, the coolant thermos, the smart key, the touchscreen, stealth mode, 50 MPG, 0-60 in 10 seconds, yadda, yadda, yadda!

Maintenance (or lack thereof) is indicitive of a smart, super-car.

And to think this is just the beginning...
Hi Finman, No,No, never say such things. We have to sell the Toyota
backed Pre=Paid Maintanance package ! 4/55.000 miles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
maintenance

what?! I don't have to buy it, though.

Never say such things? I guess we see it differently. I'd like to promote the Prius as a best vehicle out there and you need to sell a maintenance package. That's fine, but I will still say all the good things about the Prius. Some people just aren't interested in all the tech, just the wow factor of this car of the future here today for ALOT less than most people think.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Some relyable techs suggest possibly changing the WATF every 60K, but it is not required, just check it. I hardly ever replaced transmission fluid in any of my cars, and this one is much less hard on it. No torque converter, no valves (other than the pump), no modulators, no lines.

Coolant is good until the first 100K, 50K thereafter. Spark plugs good for 100K, though you might want to losen them at 30-60K so they don't seize in place.

So, yes. oil at 5K, air filters at 30K, check brakes every now and again. 30K should be more than enough unless your last check shows you are getting low in pads/shoes, then check more often.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
But none of this is in Toyotas maintanence manual. You are reverting to common sense and procedures found over years of driving. And if you do reccomend the Prius to a close friend or relative without strongly suggesting an extended maintanence plan then you might prepare to lose a friend. I dare say that even Toyota has no idea what will be popping up with this new computer technology.
As danman has stated, spark plugs can freeze in aluminum blocks if left in for a ten year period, Anti freeze coolant will continue with it's anti freeze quailities for years but after thirty months, even the best will lose their anti corrosive quailities, and hydraulic fluid (even the best) will accrue moisture even in a closed system and start some corrosion after 24 months. The Prius is a super car but the systems relative to the standard car are no different and should not be overlooked just cause the Prius maintanence manual recommends oil and filter changes along with tire rotations every 5,000 miles for the first 100,000 only.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe they did that because the same manual is used in US and Canada (or a minor revision of it) and yet the required maintenance for the two countries are quite different, probably due to colder temps up there.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well most of the stuff are similar and the differences (e.g. HIDs, DRL, Auto Headlights, MAIN'T REQ'D light) are followed by "if so equipped" or equivalent. Besides, I have a sticker on the underside of the hood dictating the coolant diagram and stating that I don't have to change it until 160,000kms

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Nope. He's the one who had to replace the intake manifold gasket account of corrosion caused by coolant losing it's anti corrosive properties. It was done so often that a new (an expensive) gasket was designed along with the STRONG recommendation for 24 month coolant changes. W.A.
You know, as you get older youl'll find you learn a lot through personal experiance. Now you can ignore what youv'e discovered and be a complete horses ass or you can be one of the "good" guys and pass your experiance around.
If you experiance a $600.00 bill along with the advice on how to avoid it and your a good guy, you pass out that info. Of course you could accept the fact that if you post this info there will always be someone reading it with his head stuck in the sand who will argue with you about the facts.
So be it. I would always hope to be one of the "good guys."

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, if you've been using the green stuff, yes, you are supposed to change it often. But the red and orange stuff is designed for long life, just as your precious GM says.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Danman, you still have your head in the sand!! My Prius was delivered from the factory with yellow coolant in the engine coolant system and red coolant in the inverter cooling system. When questioned, my service manager advised that the coolant was identical and that all they sold at the dealers was the red. I'll bet they could make up some pink for you.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It is red (I believe it is actually pinl). Don't confuse coolant for brake fluid (which is yellow).
The ICE coolant reservoir is against the radiator. The brake reservoir is near the firewall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts