Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would give my left arm for a hybrid minivan!!!!

My wife is pregnant with our 5th and we really need to replace our old minivan. I would give a LOT for an 8 passenger hybrid minivan.
Does anyone know if this is even a remote possibillity? I would put off purchasing a new minivan if I thought there would be the possibility of toyota coming out with a hybrid minivan.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I read somewhere, maybe the Hybrid News Letter, that the Toyota Privia in a Hybrid version is in the works. I delete the newsletters after I read them so I'm sorry I can't quote the article. It is not the coolest lokking van in my humble opinion, but it is already areodynamic.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It already has two hybrid minivans - Previa with a 2.4 litre HSD setup (à la Camry Hybrid) and a smaller Alphard Hybrid (I believe also with the 2.4 litre setup).

Hopefully they'll release the Sienna Hybrid soon but I'm not sure if the 192hp of the 2.4 litre HSD system can handle a 7 passengers and cargo.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
So...will they ever release a hybrid minivan in the US? I'd sure like to get the same gas mileage as the HH in the Sienna...or even somewhere close. Sub 20MPG isn't a viable option especially when you consider the number of errands our new son has required :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Iggy,

How about a HiHy. The Limited seats 7. I would put the car seats in the rear though because there would not be much legroom. I love everything about my HiHy (except the seats). Lots, and I mean LOTS of power, GREAT ride and the control is unbeiveable! Why don't you take one for a test drive. I'm always averaging 27.7 - 28.4 MPG. Not bad for a vehicle that size.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
03Jill said:
Iggy,

How about a HiHy. The Limited seats 7. I would put the car seats in the rear though because there would not be much legroom. I love everything about my HiHy (except the seats). Lots, and I mean LOTS of power, GREAT ride and the control is unbeiveable! Why don't you take one for a test drive. I'm always averaging 27.7 - 28.4 MPG. Not bad for a vehicle that size.
I didn't know the hihlander came in a 7 passenger confiuration!
I guess I need to do some more research.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
iggy1iggy.

If you buy the "HH" or the Highlander Hybrid now you will still qualify for the full Tax Credit of $2600. All "HH" comes with 3 raw seating arrangement, the 3rd raw albeit a little "Short in space"

The Hybrid mini-vans beeing offered in Japan market for years already.
The power-planct ICE is 4 cylinder based HSD although.

The USA market mini-vans due out in a couple of years and will definetely will use the "HH" V6 Hybrid powerTrain for incresed torque-power and Towing capability for those needing to tow.

If you want to make a trip to CA and if when buying the "HH" I'll make sure that you'll get the best deal ! For your _Special_ PriusOnline pricing info please "PM" me...

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have also considered the HiHy but the difference in storage space is pretty big. The Sienna holds almost twice as much as the Highlander. I'm just amazed that no one has taken a shot at the minivan market with a hybrid yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hybrid minivan

I am still driving my 1994 previa. I still get 33-34 MPG (canadian gallons) on the highway. About the same as the new Sienna's sold in Canada today. 12 years and no increase in MPG only an increase in power- which I do not need or want.

Why buy a Hybrid Highlander and pay the high price and get worst mileage then the current Sienna.

When will minivan MPG improve significantly??? Toyota- are you listening??

·
Registered
99 Posts
If the current Siennas sold in the US got anywhere near 30MPG I'd buy one. Unfortunately...it appears 20MPG is a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree...If they made a Sienna hybrid, I would be in....we have a 2004 that has been great, and are getting 22-23MPG with alot of around town driving...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
iggy1iggy said:
I didn't know the hihlander came in a 7 passenger confiuration! I guess I need to do some more research.
RESEARCH you can do, but that's it! If you get the HyHi, NO MORE KIDS! They won't fit in anything but a Suburban or Ford Explosion!! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of my friends has a minivan and wants a hybrid minivan. He keeps looking and looking and looking.... I think they'll eventually come this way

·
Registered
586 Posts
This is the "scuttle butt" right now .. Sources in California (Toyota USA) and a Good friend of mine in CAT ( Central Atlantic Toyota ) have let me learn that a Sienna Hybrid is most likely to appear in 2009 (MY2010) .. what there waiting for is the Introduction of a Better smaller Battery in order to strech the MPG to 50 .......... that and continue to offer the room of a Sienna without the burden of placement of the Battery Pack .......... That and the fact that it will be a Plug in Hybrid ............

I did find some lit on the subject .... Check it out.

http://www.hybrid-vehicles.net/toyota-h ... nivans.htm

I'll post more as information becomes available.

Tom Quinn :wink:
Internet Sales

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sanny said:
iggy1iggy said:
I didn't know the hihlander came in a 7 passenger confiuration! I guess I need to do some more research.
RESEARCH you can do, but that's it! If you get the HyHi, NO MORE KIDS! They won't fit in anything but a Suburban or Ford Explosion!! :)
Sanny you should be ashamed of yourself mentioning those unmentionable car companies ..........lol

TQ :wink:

·
Registered
310 Posts
My feelings on this ... look at where Toyota is putting the HSD. Middle of the road price wise and popular ... Prius, HyCam, HyHi. Me thinks they'll stay there with a Rav 4 or Tacoma based hybrid. A HyTac might give them bragging rights about having the first mass produced hybrid truck and the Rav 4 just got redesigned so my $$$ are with a HyTac.

Then again to move the overall MPG crown away from Honda they might go for the Hybrid Land Cruiser or Sequoia as a perfomance enhancement. Ah it is fun to dream eh?

·
Registered
310 Posts
After I read my post , guess what? The Sienna is also based on the Camry platform as is the HyHi. They would be invigorating a rather not-so-newsworthy automotive section with a, dare I say it, HySie. And it may be close to a redesign.

·
Registered
6 Posts
would be great if they push it into the market earlier...
even here in mexico in wealthy families the sienna is a big seller, a hybrid could even push that up... much more than a prius over here....

so toyota pls listen....

latin america is waiting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts