Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time for the first oil change on my 05 prius. Put 5,000 miles on it in a month and a half, what a joy to drive.

Anyway, I'm wondering when I should make the switch to synthetic oil. Thinking I'll do Mobil 5w30 synthetic, but I've seen conflicting info on when to do this. Some recommend a break in period, I've seen up to 20,000 miles recommended here.

If it matters about half of these miles were highway at 80+ mph. Ooops, is highway patrol reading this? :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Opinions differ on the need and economy of using dino or synth. Don't expect a consensus!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can put synthetic in right now. Mobil 1 is a very high quality synthetic oil and a good choice. You should experience a small increase in gas mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I was wondering about the same thing. Though mine only had 3,950 miles on it. The oil in it looked to yellow and smelled kinda strange. I decided to go with Mobil 1 blend intead. I think when the oil change light or whatever it says. I will change the oil again and filter, but use full mobil 1 sythetic 5-30. I installed one of those quick oil change kits, so all you have to do is unscrew a dust cover off and thread on a short 4 inch hose and it will start do drain automaticaly. works pretty slick I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts