Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am halfway through my second tank of gas and I filled up my first tank after only 400 miles and 8.8 gallons because I wasn't sure how far I could safely go before I ran out of gas. The manual just says to get gas as soon as possible after the last block on the gas meter flashes.

My question is.....

How far can/should you go after the last block starts to flash without running out of gas? How do you decide when to fill up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
With an '05 I suggest you do as the manual says until you get a good feel for the tank capacity and how far you really can go. This is not easy to judge b/c the tank volume varies due to the internal bladder's expansion and shrinkage with temperture.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When to fill up

You have an 05 which has the most reliable gas gauge system. The manaul states that the bladder can change the amount of gas you can put into the tank. It also states that the bladder does not effect fuel gage. I fill up about 30 or less miles after the segment starts to blink. I also top off the tank. I usually add almost 11 gals US.
Jim
52.2 MPG on my last tank!

G

·
0 Posts
Come on guys. Someone has to ask when to buy gas and others wait for a flashing light and then gamble on miles? Is there something terrifying about stopping at a gas station I don't know about? (sorry, I think it had to be said! I don't think I noticed one woman discuss this on the many threads concerning subject)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After all the reported fuel gague issues with the 2004, i'd call it a fair question.

If every time my fuel guage read 'flashing empty' I could only fit 7.5 gallons in my 11.5 gallon tank, I would start asking questions. I'd also start taking risks with those other 4 gallons.

Remember, in a mainstream vehcile, running out of gas isn't (ususally) a big deal, while Toyota says running out in a Prius is a major no-no.

In my Saturn, the first thing I did was fill it up, then run it out to see where empty really was. I can't do that in my Prius without risking components, so the only alternative is to ask.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Northern British Columbia does not have an abundance of gas stations so it's easy to pass one with no blinking light and then shortly thereafter...

So do you turn back or press on. Well, if you're a real man, you press on! 8)

Needless to say after about 80k you do start to have some questions about your masculinity...

So that being said I would like to say that the Canadian Prius has a 45 litre tank and having observed that blinking light for over 100k and easing off the gas to maximize mileage when I did get a chance to give it a drink I was unable to squeeze in more than 41.91 litres. At 4.2L/100k EPA rating I still should have been able to go about 75k.

Glad I got gas before I had to hoof it though. A Prius by the side of the road with the hood raised is bad advertising. :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Annoyomous said:
Or fill up at 400 miles
While 400 might be an easy option for you, it's not a healthy number for me...

My 75 mile commute starts and ends 1/2 mile from a gas station. For about the first 15 miles in either direction, refuling is possible but not always convenient... At best it involves getting off the interstate, then getting back on. At the worst, it involves getting off/on a toll road (and paying the extra toll) For the 45 miles in the middle, i'm on the expressway with no exits, let alone refueling options...l

400 / 75 = 5 complete trips and 25 miles, which puts me right in the middle of the dead-zone with no gas for (at least) another 20 miles.

So there's not always a simple answer

G

·
0 Posts
True, but you have to admit yours is a really unusual example and I bet you don't wait for the light. More so you probably fill up when you make the unscheduled trip to Walmart etc: even if you don't need gas. This just hit me as a strange thread .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Similar drive

Your situation is similar to mine. I drive 56 miles one way IF I don't have any detours. On my route to work, it's about 20 miles to the NEAREST gas station.

I fill up about 500 miles. (I routinely get close to 50 mpg). I also note the gallons I put in to ensure the bladder is not reducing my capacity.
If I put in less than 10 gallons, I'll have to start shopping for gas in less than 500 miles.

Jim

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yea, I've pretty much figured out that if I have 3 pips when I start the car, I can make the whole trip.

This past week was the first time I saw 'flashing empty' I had about 485 miles or so on the tank. What I didn't see was how long I was on one pip before the flash... I think it was less than 30 miles, maybe as low as 10

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just use the 9-gallon rule.

Match up the values on the Multi-Display to know when to fill up:

40 MPG = 360 miles
41 MPG = 369 miles
42 MPG = 378 miles
43 MPG = 387 miles
44 MPG = 396 miles
45 MPG = 405 miles
46 MPG = 414 miles
47 MPG = 423 miles
48 MPG = 432 miles
49 MPG = 441 miles
50 MPG = 450 miles
51 MPG = 459 miles
52 MPG = 468 miles
53 MPG = 477 miles
54 MPG = 486 miles
55 MPG = 495 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
gas gauge issue

I know there have been many many posts about gas gauge innacuracy, but I am still unsure about a couple of things. (I have an 04). Is the problem that the tanks really holds only 8 gallons of gas (the most I can ever put in) or is the light flashing inappropriately? Also wondering if anyone has broght in their Prius for service bulletin 01004 and how it worked out??

Big cover story on Prius and hybrids in this month's "Wired" magazine and how Toyota is changing the auto industry!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the gas gauge service on my '04 but it didn't fix the problem: I still fill with about 7.5 Gal after the blink starts, so at c. 40m/gal. I fill every 300 miles. It's a significant problem.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I've been reading about this topic here for a year and believe the subject has gotten to be something like a game. Put gas in your tank when you feel like you need it, or it's conveniant, just as you did in all your previous cars. Do you know of anyone personally who has ever run out of gas??? Is pulling into a gas station a little like going to the dentist? I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not like a dentist, but it can be dangerous with all of those "chatty cathy's" on their cell phones while pumping gas. It seems nobody knows how to just be quiet anymore! :shock:

No offense intended to ladies named "Cathy." :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Friday night, I was on 1 pip flashing and pulled into the Murphy station at our local wal-mart.

The f'n gas pump tried to sell me fuel additives... Just how far are we going to let advertising intrude on our lives.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
melgish said:
Friday night, I was on 1 pip flashing and pulled into the Murphy station at our local wal-mart.

The f'n gas pump tried to sell me fuel additives... Just how far are we going to let advertising intrude on our lives.
You take yours with cream and sugar?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
You take yours with cream and sugar?
my what? :p

I guess I didn't make it clear... this was an audible... "how would you like to add gumout to your car...push the red button"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts