Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2004 Tideland Pearl Prius. It has (2 0 I.C.E. air filters under the hood. Does anyone know when the upper filter (charcoal filter) should be changed /replaced? or is there a way of cleaning it?
I have happily driven 21,000 mi's and want to keep up my 48+mpg in town. I change the paper air filter for the I.C.E. every time it looks black or 6 months.

Thank you,
2004 Prius Best car I have driven in 48 Years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, and comment

Thank you,It does not state Upper I.C.E. Air Filter. It appears to state the engine air filter refering to the lower Paper filter, not the Upper Charcoal Filter.
I have asked the services manager at the Toyota dealership and it appears he doesn't have a clue where to find the answer. Maybe I'll ask again tomorrow when I go in for a problem opening the drivers door when the temp reaches 80+ degs.

Comment: For those who drive a gas guzzler car or SUV,
When you Fuel Up your tank-You Empty your Wallet,
When I Fuel Up my Prius tank- I still have money$ in my wallet for food.

Tony Lisico 04 Tideland Pearl Prius best car I've driven in 48 Years.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I vaguely remember a discussion of that charcoal filter being a temporary trap for fumes, perhaps because of the stopping and starting of the ICE. Since it is a "sponge" and not really a "filter", it may never need replacement.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The upper "filter" is a charcoal filter meant to trap back fumes and gas vapor that may go back through the intake as part of the normal Atkinson cycle operation.

If you take close notice, the charcoal filter is not removable from the air cleaner lid. It is heat welded in place. The only way to replace the charcoal filter is to replace the entire lid of the air cleaner. Since Toyota does not specify a replacement period for this, it is pretty safe to say there is no scheduled change out period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts