Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the bolt pattern info on the '04? I'm considering having my snow tires mounted on some inexpensive wheels, but the tire shop can't find any specs listed so they don't know which wheels to order. I called my local Toyota dealer and the guy there said, "umm... er.... we don't know anything about that. You'd have to get that info from a tire shop. I don't think you can use any other wheels becasue of the special regenerative braking system on the Prius."
Thanks in advance,
Moo :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
This sounds like MY dealer---hopeless! Makes you wonder whether these guys can dress and feed themselves.

The regen braking should have nothing to do with the type of wheel. I think there was a post on the Yahoo board (or maybe it was here?) very recently on which Toyota wheels fit the '04. Maybe you could use the search feature, or someone could refer or re-post. Once you find out, you can order wheels from any number of after-market suppliers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PCD 100 5 lug.

moocatdog said:
Does anyone know the bolt pattern info on the '04? I'm considering having my snow tires mounted on some inexpensive wheels, but the tire shop can't find any specs listed so they don't know which wheels to order. I called my local Toyota dealer and the guy there said, "umm... er.... we don't know anything about that. You'd have to get that info from a tire shop. I don't think you can use any other wheels becasue of the special regenerative braking system on the Prius."
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Hopefully the tire guys will now be able to use this info to find some rims.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is my understanding from a Toyota U teacher that I met At an EOC meet that it is the same as the '03 Carolla wheel for the 185 width. Peace, Ammiel

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup. When shopping for wheels and tires, you can pretend that you have the '03 Corolla for sanity's sake.

ammiel said:
It is my understanding from a Toyota U teacher that I met At an EOC meet that it is the same as the '03 Carolla wheel for the 185 width. Peace, Ammiel

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I do appreciate your help. However, after determining that the wheels, snow tires, installation, etc. would total nearly $600, I decided to stick with my $45 emergency chains. I've been driving various vehicles into the mountains for more years than I care to admit and, not only have I never purchased snow tires before, the only vehicle I ever needed to chain up was a '70 Chevy pickup. So far the Prius has handled extremely well in the snow and I'm confident that it will get me to and from the ski slopes without any difficulty.
Drive happy,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if the place you went to does it, but Discount Tire where I am can sell me "take-offs" for about $30 a wheel. "Take-offs" are the factory wheels they take off of customer cars when customers decide to buy new wheels and don't want them anymore. You just need four of the right size, preferably with matching appearance, and you're good to go. This is what I did for snow tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
moocatdog said:
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I do appreciate your help. However, after determining that the wheels, snow tires, installation, etc. would total nearly $600, I decided to stick with my $45 emergency chains.
Remember that if you install winter tires for a season of snow and ice, you are not wearing down your regular tires during the time that the winter tires are on your car (and vice-versa). So while the up front cost may be higher, you'll be paying tire replacement costs less often, unless you drive so little that your tires degrade due to age rather than wear out. If your snow and ice season is predictable and long enough, a set of winter tires may make sense from a safety standpoint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts