Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that when I power the Prius off and get out of the car it still emits a "buzzing" sound for about 15 seconds after I hit the power button. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It's normal. There is a pump which pumps some of the coolant into a thermos type reservoir for use when restarting the vehicle. It allows the ICE to warm up quickly.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There are 2 sets of sounds you may hear when you just powered down. One is related to the cooling system, which Firepac mentioned. First a valve changes position to connect the thermos to the engine cooling system. Then you hear an electric pump pull the hot coolant into the engine, exchanging it with the cooler coolant originally in the thermos.

Later, you may hear a hissing sound, followed by grumbling sound. The hissing is the brake system releasing brake pressure from the wheel cylinders (and probably the accumulator), then the accumulator pump restores brake pressure. Not sure of the exact purpose of this process, could be to try and purge any air in the system, or possibly a system check.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
...Later, you may hear a hissing sound, followed by grumbling sound....
I thought that meant it was lunchtime... :oops:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts