Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all -

I've had my Prius for about a month now, and there is one oddity I keep noticing. I am hoping it's OK & I'm guessing it has to do with the thermos container, but I'd like to know specifically just what it is.

When I open the door and get in to start the car, I hear a sort of buzzing/whirring sound from the front left area. It goes on for about 5 seconds and then stops with a relay click.

When I'm done driving and turn the car off, I immediately hear the same thing. If I sit in the car for a bit, &/or perhaps open the door, I may hear it again.

What is this sound? Is it a normal operation? It's really got me curious.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Whirring would be the servo coolant valve and the coolant heat storage pump.

A buzzing or brrring sound would be the brake accumulator pump. You can reproduce that sound by pumping your brakes a few times.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:idea: Owner's Manual - page 208 - "Coolant heat storage system" - Chapter "Information Before Driving Your Toyota" reads in part: "The coolant heat storage tank system stores hot coolant and feeds it via the electric water pump automatically to warm the engine as required."

There's a wealth of interesting, helpful information in your Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
There's a wealth of interesting, helpful information in your Owner's Manual.
I don't think most people would consult the owner's manual if their car made a strange noise. I think people tend to use it when they want to know how to make something work in the car. That appears to be how it is indexed.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Hello again redwein

The Prius is a very unique automobile in a multitude of ways. Many questions can be answered by reading the Owner's Manual. What some (particularly "new" Prius owners) might consider "strange" are quite normal to a Prius - such as "whirring" sounds, "clicking" sounds, etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Noises and owner manual

This was the first time that I ever really, really read my owners manual! The Toyota Carlsbad Service Department was superb in orienting me to my new driving experience as well.
You can not only find out what is making noise but that there is yet more hidden storage underneath the center arm rest console (besides that little one in the back drivers side corner of the trunk where you can stand up wine bottles, etc.) and how to utilize the Nav System better. I am a better driver now because of my Prius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts